Just installed Equipment...how’s this look?

Hayward Goldline AQR15 AquaRite Electronic Salt Chlorination System for In-Ground Pools , 40,000-Gallon Cell

You want the AQR 15 model. That gives you the 40k cell. With a SWG, size ratings are usually based on the maximum capacity with running it 24 hours a day. Not something you want. So even if your pool were 10k or 15k, we would still recommend a 40,000 gallon cell.

If you have the Hayward automation system then you already own the controller and only need add the t-15 cell.

Reactions: splashpad
3B,

I agree with Jim R's recommendation. One thing to thing to check is your warranty. I lived in Houston for 20 years and knew people with salt and conventional chlorine pools. They all worked and quite a few converted to salt after they swam in salt pools. None that I know of switched back.

I'm in the final step of converting my pool after 5 years on liquid chlorine. We've had salt in the pool for about a week and the wives all love the feel of the water. Some, like my wife say their skin gets a little itchy in chlorine. They don't have any irritation at all with the salt. I like the feel of it also and a BIG plus for me is no more messing with the 2.5 gal jugs. Also, way less concern about travel.

If you do the conversion yourself be sure to test the water before you calculate the amount of salt required. In my case it made a huge difference.

I hope this is helpful.

Chris

Side thought: :D We added salt for feel only in our tiny pool and the difference is incredible! Once we "graduate" to a larger pool, I'll convince the SO to convert to SWCG, but for now, we just like the "luxurious" feel!
And it's funny, myself, our kiddos and a few friends can "taste" the salt, but SO cannot.

Well I’ve talk to my PB and looks like I can change the Ozone for the T cell 15. Omni logic’s will drive it and I don’t think the cost is all that significant, if anything.

Seems like a no brainer according to everything I read here, I’m really just concerned that we have low quality stone in the area and maybe that’s why they are all against it.

What’s the story on sealing versus not sealing with salt water. I’ve got flagstone coping around the pool and hot tub. I’ve got split face stone at the perimeter of the hot tub wall and the water goes over flagstone from the spa to the pool. Stone is everywhere.

Attachments

• 014A1125-3A49-44A2-97B4-4E7FF83C911A.jpeg
    014A1125-3A49-44A2-97B4-4E7FF83C911A.jpeg
    614.9 KB · Views: 16
I might be mistaken but regardless of the stone quality I don't think the saltwater accelerates anything as far as stone degradation goes.

If you have low quality stone it may become a problem wether you have a SWG or not. As Jim experiened you can have stone problems without a SWG. Also note that liquid chlorine maintained pools accumulate salt over time if not drained occasionally. There is salt in each jug of liquid chlorine. So deal with the question if you have low quality stone independant of if you get a SWG.

If you are worried I suggest you talk to a company like Texas Stone Sealers: Natural Stone Sealing, Cleaning & Restoration Company

Reactions: setsailsoon

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
New hurdle.

SO in a SWP once and couldn’t stand the taste. In her opinion, not a chance.

Yall have SO’s that don’t like the saltiness of the SWP, how did you address it?

Something is wrong... I think she must have been in a pool with sea water... A SWCG pool has very little salt in it. Most people can't tell at all and even if you do it is about as strong as your tears... Not to cast doubt on her story, but it just does not pass the smell test.. Or maybe that should be "salt test".. :)

Jim R.

Options

Can I run the swcg lass than normal
And supplement with more chlorine to minimize salt content? Possibly build them up to it. (If it’s even a thing)

Could I completely bypass or turn it off and be a jug dumper if I needed to be?

Not sure calling BS on her experience is the right way to approach it.

New hurdle.
SO in a SWP once and couldn’t stand the taste. In her opinion, not a chance.
Yall have SO’s that don’t like the saltiness of the SWP, how did you address it?

I can taste the salt in our tiny pool (40lbs in 2500gal, we did it for "feel" only), which pool math says is about 1900ppm, our kiddos can too, my SO cannot. When the kiddos have had a few friends over, we've noticed, only the younger set or female have been able to detect the salt (or said anything about it, FWIW). Some people are definitely, overly dramatic, about things as well. (our kiddos have a "spectacle" friend)
That being said, we've been in SWCG pools (and swam in the ocean), it's not bothersome to either one of us. Although the ocean was the only one my SO could finally taste, rofl.

I keep my salt level around 3500 ppm, and at that level I COULD taste salt in water, but since I don’t make it a practice of tasting my pool water, that isn’t a problem. Just tell your SO that drinking pool water is prohibited, problem solved.

Reactions: splashpad
Options

Can I run the swcg lass than normal
And supplement with more chlorine to minimize salt content? Possibly build them up to it. (If it’s even a thing)

Could I completely bypass or turn it off and be a jug dumper if I needed to be?

Not sure calling BS on her experience is the right way to approach it.

You have to run the SWG at least at the minimum salt level required by the maker. The amount of time it runs has no bearing on the salt level. It either works or it doesn't. If salt is too low most SWGs will not run. Also I suspect the "being able to taste the salt" is largely psychosomatic meaning if she didn't know, she wouldn't know. I would make a couple batches of saltwater and have a blind taste test and see what she can actually taste. Maybe mix one with 1ppt, 1 with 3ppt and 1 with 5ppt (ocean water has 35ppt). Most non-salt pools are between 1 and 2 due to everything added to the water having some salt, which builds up over time. Most salt pools are between 2 and 3. So not a lot of salt at all. The benefits of having salt are enough that I would go to the mat on this one. If you do this test, make sure to get the k-1766 salt test.

And yes, you can have the SWG and not use it and just use bleach. No need to bypass it you just don't turn it on. Or, if your salt level is too low, it will probably not activate itself anyway its own salt level sensor will prevent it.

I feel for you! I know for something like this at least with my SO I would not have told her at all to begin with I just would do it. ;)

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.