Thoughts/recommendations on upgraded equipment

Shinto

May 17, 2022
Houston, TX
I’m looking to upgrade my old equipment due to some issues I’m having. My current set up is very basic for my 20k(ish) gallon salt water pool; single speed Pentair whisper flow 1.5hp pump, Pentair intellichlo ic40 salt cell, Pentair clean and clear plus 420. The ic40 may be dead (over 5yrs old), the filter has a slow drip from the drain plug (possible stripped thread while cleaning), but pump is still going strong (albeit loud and maybe an energy drain). The panel an old Aqua Logic, to my knowledge it only controls when the timing of pump start and stop.

I’m a newb at pools and equipment (bought house with this set up 3 yrs ago), so I wanted to get some guidance, input on what I should do or know if there are other options.

I received 2 quotes on upgrading eqp:
1) Pentair VS pump (tracking down the model); Jandy tru clear salt cell, Pentair C&C filter base replacement. $4,300 installed.

2) Hayward Omni panel retrofit; Hayward Vs900 pump; Hayward swimclear filter; Hayward t-15 salt cell. $6,500 installed.

3) Then while doing some searching on this site, came across CircuPool products. I would consider myself pretty handy and saw DIYs of their Smartflo 3.0 VS pump and RJ-45 salt cell, so I would install this myself (never dealt with pool plumbing, or equipment before). I know if I went this route I lose all functionality of the current Aqua Logic panel, which again is only used to control pump timer. Would estimate this could be ~$3k.

Does anyone have any advice or recommendations of what option I should go with? While I would like to keep the cost to a minimum, I want the most favorable option that will give me best “bang for the buck” so to speak. I want something that will last and not give me problems (wishful thinking).

Sorry for the long post, but would greatly appreciate any feedback. Thanks guys!!!

No heater or cooling?

No spa?

What is your pump runtime now?

3) Then while doing some searching on this site, came across CircuPool products. I would consider myself pretty handy and saw DIYs of their Smartflo 3.0 VS pump and RJ-45 salt cell, so I would install this myself (never dealt with pool plumbing, or equipment before). I know if I went this route I lose all functionality of the current Aqua Logic panel, which again is only used to control pump timer. Would estimate this could be ~$3k.

Circupool or B+D 3HP VS pump plus RJ45+ cell would work fine for you.

Trash your Aqualogic. You can run the pump from its control panel and timer schedules.

Thanks for your feedback. What are (if any) your opinions on the new Hayward set up? Overkill on such a simple basic set up like I have?

Depends if you are too lazy to walk out to the pool pad to adjust your pump schedule or SWG generation %.

Get it if you like playing aroud with apps on your phone.