Chesapeake/ VA
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Hayward Aqua Rite (T-15)
I’ve read past threads about this issue, but I am still having problems with the pump not always priming at start up in the mornings. This is especially concerning to me because I’m not always home to check. I’ve just had the sand changed in the filter. The guys that serviced the filter did not mention any problems. Most mornings, it primes, but not every morning. I don’t know if it’s a suction side air leak, but I need to know if when I shut off the system, what exactly should I hear? I can hear water draining out, but never thought that would be a problem. Should all immediately be quiet? Maybe it’s a spider gasket issue?

I’ve read past threads about this issue, but I am still having problems with the pump not always priming at start up in the mornings. This is especially concerning to me because I’m not always home to check. I’ve just had the sand changed in the filter. The guys that serviced the filter did not mention any problems.
Filter is on the pressure side of the pump. Air leaks which prevent priming usually occur on the suction side of the pump.

I don’t know if it’s a suction side air leak, but I need to know if when I shut off the system, what exactly should I hear?
Nothing except maybe some bubbles rising in the filter which may be normal but should stop fairly quickly.

I can hear water draining out, but never thought that would be a problem. Should all immediately be quiet? Maybe it’s a spider gasket issue?
If you are hearing water drain out after shutting off the pump, then you have an air leak somewhere and that can prevent a pump from priming. A pump should never drain of water when shut off. It should always remain full of water until you remove the pump lid.

Usual suspects are pump lid gasket and drain plug gaskets. Use some pool lube on those for a better seal to see if it helps. If not, it could be an o-ring in a valve or union that is leaking.