Silver Supporter
May 1, 2020
United Kingdom
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
I thought I’d share some thoughts on pool ownership from a newbie.

It’s a year ago that I came into pool ownership.

At the time I inherited the previous owners test kit which was a two chamber device to try and decipher what colour the dpd tablet went as well as their ‘advice’ on care.

they were using pucks and cal-hypo granular.

safe to say I didn’t have a clue. I wasn’t sure that we’d keep it.

I tested and it was red but I couldn’t really tell how much chlorine by eye but added
chlorine anyway Thinking surely must need some. All the time thinking when swimming that I had no idea if too much or too little.

puck used to go in the skimmer. Once I left the puck in the skimmer for weeks with the pump off.

pool care certainly wasn’t a paradise.

I added copper algacide Over the winter which turned out to be good and bad. The algaecide reacted with The massive cya level I had (nearly 200) albeit I didn’t know this or even in fact what cya was. Such that I had a purple sediment. This is all bad I hear you say. Well what happened in trying to find out what this purple was meant I came across tfp. It was at this point everything changed.

now I feel like I know exactly (well maybe not quite exactly!) what is going on with my pool, what to add and when.

so far I think there’s only been one question I have that you haven’t answered.

My pool isn’t fancy or that large but I wanted to Say a big thank all for making it a paradise. I’m so glad I stumbled across this site you Are a friendly bunch who tak the time to answer my silly questions at the start and taking me under your wing.

I wish I had a swcg but with a chlorine consumption of less than 1 per day (my pool is in a Perspex shell) I’m not sure it justifies the expense just yet.

Thanks all.

We are pleased that your pool maintenance is now understood and that TFPC helped you on that journey!
Now for my shameless plug ---
We are glad you have found our information helpful. Please, if you can, consider making a donation to TFP.
We are staffed by volunteers and are registered as an IRS 501 (c) (3) charity and donations are what keeps the forum operating without advertisements.

Support TFP!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.