Jandy SWG - iAquaLink Need Help Choosing SWG

May 2, 2018
PA
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Hi. I have a 30,000 gallon pool. I want to switch to salt water. I have iAquaLink so I need to stick with Jandy for the SWG if I want it to be in my automation system. My choices are: (i) Jandy’s AquaPure (Model PLC1400; rated for up to 40,000 gallon pool); or (ii) Jandy’s TrueClear (Model TRUCLEAR11K; rated for up to 35,000 gallon pool). My pool guy is exclusively Pentair. I am looking for advice as to which model to choose.

Thanks,

Thanks for the quick reply. If I want to use my iAquaLink, the PLC1400 appears to be the most powerful option. That said, am I asking for trouble if it is rated for 40,000 and I have 30,000. Are there better options?

Thanks for the quick reply. If I want to use my iAquaLink, the PLC1400 appears to be the most powerful option. That said, am I asking for trouble if it is rated for 40,000 and I have 30,000. Are there better options?

No, that will work fine in PA. You don't get the intense sun folks in the south get.

Last year when considering a SWG for my 25k gallon pool I was weighing the following options:
1) Jandy AquaPure 40k SWG - neatly integrates with my iAqualink system but is expensive and undersized for my pool (also, the system anecdotally seems to be less reliable than other brands based on discussions on TFP)
2) Pureline 60k SWG - doesn't neatly integrate with iAqualink, but is much cheaper and properly sized/oversized for my pool

I went with Option 2 and have no regrets. I only need to manually adjust the SWG output once every ~couple weeks in the spring and fall shoulder seasons. Otherwise I don't touch the controller except to superchlorinate the pool after storms and pool parties. I have my iAqualink relays configured to kill power to the SWG automatically whenever the pump is off and/or the pool is in Spa Mode.

Granted, I'm in southeast TX where are peak summertime temperatures and UV are much more severe than you'd experience in PA.

Last edited:
Reactions: Newdude

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Here's how mine are set up. Gets the job done.

I was not aware of that Chlorinator Translator system that you linked - that's nifty! I'd consider that if they made a version for the Pureline SWG system.

Attachments

• Relays.JPG
    Relays.JPG
    83.6 KB · Views: 8
I have a PLC1400. It puts out 1.25 pounds FC per day, which is pretty low as cells go. If you know the normal amount of chlorine consumed by your pool in high summer, you can estimate how hard the cell will work to keep up using Pool Math "effects of adding." Or you can do the math yourself. For a 30K pool, the 1.25 pounds is 5 ppm. That's running flat out 24 hours a day. If your pool actually loses 2 ppm per day worst case, you'll be running the cell at 100% for 2/5 * 24 = 9.6 hours or 50% for 19.2 hours, etc. The cell's rated life is 800 hours, though that's probably optimistic. One other note is that you can decrease FC consumption to extend cell life by increasing CYA to 70 ppm or more.

Seems to be different from what I've read on this site.
You are entitled to your opinion but the Wiki shows the facts. Hayward Aquarites burn out boards, connectors, and components due to the way it manages salinity and amps. It does not have a salinity sensor that the Aquapure does have.

All SWG's consume cells.

Aquapure is a fine system when controlled by an Aqualink.

I have a PLC1400. It puts out 1.25 pounds FC per day, which is pretty low as cells go. If you know the normal amount of chlorine consumed by your pool in high summer, you can estimate how hard the cell will work to keep up using Pool Math "effects of adding." Or you can do the math yourself. For a 30K pool, the 1.25 pounds is 5 ppm. That's running flat out 24 hours a day. If your pool actually loses 2 ppm per day worst case, you'll be running the cell at 100% for 2/5 * 24 = 9.6 hours or 50% for 19.2 hours, etc. The cell's rated life is 800 hours, though that's probably optimistic. One other note is that you can decrease FC consumption to extend cell life by increasing CYA to 70 ppm or more.

2PPM FC loss/day works in PA in the middle of the summer.

You are entitled to your opinion but the Wiki shows the facts. Hayward Aquarites burn out boards, connectors, and components due to the way it manages salinity and amps. It does not have a salinity sensor that the Aquapure does have.

All SWG's consume cells.

Aquapure is a fine system when controlled by an Aqualink.

I read a lot of issues with the Aquapure. It looks like the Hayward has many issues as well. What seems to be the most reliable? I'm between the Aqualink, Hayward, and Circupool right now.

There's nothing wrong with the AquaPure setup besides the biggest one being "40k gal" rated. Other manufacturers offer bigger cells. The TruClear is a bit janky, yes. But most issues with the AquaPure were corrected years ago when they moved to the more modern cells and made the cabling significantly more robust.

All of the SWCGs have issues in one way or another, but the AquaPure system is no less reliable than any of it's big three competitors.

With a Aqualink setup and a spa, I would only use Jandy unless my pool was so big that I was bumping up against the maximum output of the cell. It just works. For you I might consider another manufacturer simply due to your pool size.

Also, I am the last person who will ever defend their products, so you can take that one to the bank. :laughblue:

• Haha
Reactions: Newdude

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support