Is SLAM Process Complete?

yalex

Jul 1, 2019
Sacramento, CA
Hi. I'm new to pool ownership. We bought our house last summer and I kept up maintenance of the pool all summer long according to information I found on this site (thanks alot!). I decided to forgo the pool maintenance over the winter since we weren't using the pool and would just clean it up before summer. I decided to start cleaning up the pool on 4/24/20. The pool water was a dark, murky green. I took a sample of the water to be tested by Leslie's pool and the results came back as FC=0, pH=8.2, TA=80, CH=90, and CYA=0. I added muriatic acid to lower the pH to 7.5 and added cyanuric acid to raise the CYA to 32. On 4/27, once the pH and CYA was in the SLAM process range, I started adding Kemtek 10% liquid chlorine to the pool. Since 4/27, I've been keeping the FC between 12 and 14, while periodically checking the pH and CYA levels to make sure it was still in the SLAM ranges. The water went from dark, murky green to a cloudy teal green (see attached picture) after about 3-4 days after I started adding chlorine. The water is now a cloudy turquoise/blue and has been that color for 2-3 days now. I decided to perform the overnight test on 5/3. The night of 5/3, the FC read 13. The morning of 5/4, the FC read 13.5 and the CC was 0.5. I decided to perform a second overnight test last night (5/4). The evening of 5/4, FC was 10.8 and this morning (5/5), the FC was 12 and CC was 0.6. I'm not sure if I did something wrong because it is weird that the FC increased overnight. My questions after all this is...
- Am I done with the SLAMMING process?
- Is the algae all dead now?
- Why is the pool water not clearing up? My understanding is that it should have gone from cloudy to clear.

One more thing. Because the water was not clearning up, I added some water clarifier to the pool on 5/2 and then again on 5/4.

Thank you all in advance for any advice/help/suggestions!

Attachments

• 20200504_195737.jpg
    20200504_195737.jpg
    117.5 KB · Views: 20
Last edited:
Hello from SAC and welcome to TFP! :wave: I'm afraid you still have an algae issue, and it probably won't get much better as long as you continue to got to the pool store for their testing (usually inaccurate), advice (also not accurate), and products (way over-priced and/r not needed). You can't mix TFP guidance with pool stores. In the long run, you'll get very frustrated. :hammer: Here's what you need to do:
1. Get a TF-100 (link below) or Taylor K-2006C. You MUST have one of those kits to test water frequently and accurately at home. It's easy, and it's a MUST.
2. Don't add anything to the water until your test kit arrives except about 1 gallon of regular bleach each day.
3. Once your test kit arrives, post a full set of water results
4. While waiting, become very familiar with the SLAM ProcessSLAM Process

Thank you for the reply and suggestions. I've been using a Taylor K-2006 test kit to test the water. I figured I get a "professional" test/reading done, but seeing how quickly they performed the test, I'll be doing all my tests going forward. It is now 16 days since I started the SLAM process. Last night around 10pm the FC was 13.4ppm. This morning around 8am the FC was 13ppm and the CC was between 0.4 and .06ppm. The pool water around the stair area looks clear, but the water in the deep end still appears to have a hint of cloudiness to it. Based on the FC and CC readings and the water clarity, I'm thinking all algae is dead/gone and I'm ready to let the FC drop to swimming level.

Attachments

• whole pool.jpg
    whole pool.jpg
    497.1 KB · Views: 11
  • pool stairs 2.jpg
    pool stairs 2.jpg
    632.9 KB · Views: 11
I dont know how you got a CYA number of 32, but if its above 30, I believe you need to round up to 40, which gives a slam level of 16. Slam isnt done until your pool is crystal clear. You may have been under-doing the chlorine levels, tho Im sure smarter folks will correct me if Im wrong.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.