Is it dangerous to swim after adding chlorine?

Check your settings in pool math. (the wagon wheel). Need to update it for 23k gallons. Or your info is wrong on your profile here. :)

3 cups is for much smaller pools.

FC/CYA Levels. (y)

(y)(y)(y)(y)(y)(y)(y)(y)
yep you’re right. Fc was at 2 this morning. Not 6. I entered my numbers into pool math again and it said 3 quarts to go from 2 to 6ppm. Not sure what happened 🤷‍♂️

Reactions: Newdude
Also, HUGE learning potential here !!! Whenever you add something, give it the proper time to mix (20 min for FC, PH, CH and a day or two for salt and CYA) then test again to verify you hit your target.

Once you verified you reached your target you can lalalalalalalalalala all happy like until the next time you test, because you know for a fact it worked.

Reactions: mguzzy and mariane
Merged thread - TFP Mod
So far i love how easy and simple tfp has been for me, but one question i’m not getting is the daily cholrine testing. I know your not supposed to do the drop test (one with the powder) every day but the problem is when i do the regular one it obviously only gives me a range for the fc and not the exact reading. The problem is how do i know how much to add of chlorine each day if i don’t know the exact fc level currently? Secondly if my chlorine has to sit in the 5-10ppm range due to 50 cya how do i know if too over chlorinated to swim? Thanks in advance. I also love not having to go to the pool store each week 😂

Last edited by a moderator:
Also, HUGE learning potential here !!! Whenever you add something, give it the proper time to mix (20 min for FC, PH, CH and a day or two for salt and CYA) then test again to verify you hit your target.

Once you verified you reached your target you can lalalalalalalalalala all happy like until the next time you test, because you know for a fact it worked.
if you get a chance check out my new question because it applies to this 😂 thanks for the help

I know your not supposed to do the drop test
Why? Especially as you are just getting started with TFP and proper testing, you should be using the FAS-DPD and pH testing daily. Once you get to know your pool, its characteristics, how it reacts to weather, sun, clouds, etc, then use the OTO test But for now, stick with the FAS-DPD.

I do use the FAS DPD to always test FC. matter of fact I have never used the the k1000 block to test chlorine, I only test PH with that one... I use the 10 ml line as that saves reagents and it is good to .5 chlorine.. :)

I might go into a pool store 1 time a year for something, this year it was a K1000 block for a friend :)

I actually like the bigger Taylor kit, 9056 2000 series but it takes R004 for the PH

The testing will help you learn your pool.
Sometimes I do a quick OTO test but if I really need to know the exact number, I use FAS DPD test.
At present I put in 1 qt daily without testing. 1-2x/wk I do the full FAS DPD test.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I know your not supposed to do the drop test (one with the powder) every day
The poweder test *is* the test. The block test is ok if you just want a quick verification at times when you are already fairly sure your #s are good. Say, you should be around 9 and the quick block test says it’s 7-10 ish. You’re in target range even though it’s pretty vague. Good enough for now and resume the real test tomorrow.
The problem is how do i know how much to add of chlorine each day if i don’t know the exact fc level currently
Again, dose off the powder test. The block test isn’t specific enough. After a while you will just get to know your pool. It will ask for XX ounces of chlorine a day. It changes throughout the season, and early/ late season are much lower than mid (peak) season. But day to day it’s pretty consistent. So *once* you become one with your pool you’ll just know you need a gallon today (or whatevs) because you needed it yesterday. Just go ahead with the same gallon and test every other day to be sure. You’ll get there but for now, test everyday. You need a real hot year, a cool year and a wet year. Every season thereafter will be somewhere in the middle and you’ll just know.
Secondly if my chlorine has to sit in the 5-10ppm range due to 50 cya how do i know if too over chlorinated to swim
Pull up all the relevant values on the FC/CYA Levels. Your CYA will change a little over the season so know the one above and below where you are at. I have a screenshot that I can just pull up from my photos anytime I wonder. Boom. SLAM level (safe to swim) for 50 CYA is 20. Anything 20 or under is good to go. You won’t need SLAM levels following the program, but it’s always good to know.
I also love not having to go to the pool store each week 😂
We are certain your wallet feels the same way. Glad to have you onboard.

The problem is how do i know how much to add of chlorine each day if i don’t know the exact fc level currently? Secondly if my chlorine has to sit in the 5-10ppm range due to 50 cya how do i know if too over chlorinated to swim?
Itz like feeding your dog.. you don't weigh it every day before you feed it do you? You have a rough idea of how much to throw in bowl everyday... same with the pool. Once you get the hang of it you'll test at longer intervals or if you see something going awry.. like the dog is getting too fat or he puked up a sock..

As long as your FC is below Slam levels per the FC/CYA Levels its safe to swim... you would be dumping a lot of Cl in your pool to exceed that threshold, so you would know. Your dog would be engorged!

Food Eating GIF by SpongeBob SquarePants

Last edited:
The only test reagent that’s particularly bad is the silver nitrate for salt in the K-1766 add on test, which it doesn’t appear you have. Even so it’s harmless enough to dump in the grass up to 25ml at a time. Not only is it pretty unhealthy but it will also stain your fingers for a while. All the others are fine.
It will also stain white quartz countertops, and take several hours of soaking with "softscrub with bleach" to remove. 🤦🏼‍♀️ I put a plastic placemat down now when I test in the kitchen.

Why? Especially as you are just getting started with TFP and proper testing, you should be using the FAS-DPD and pH testing daily. Once you get to know your pool, its characteristics, how it reacts to weather, sun, clouds, etc, then use the OTO test But for now, stick with the FAS-DPD
thank you will do. I was worried about buying more fas dpd testing stuff and how much it’s going to cost to test that much

was worried about buying more fas dpd testing stuff and how much it’s going to cost to test that much
It’s not expensive. $10 if you run out IIRC ? So the instructions for that test are a bit subjective too. It says to add a’heaping scoop’, which is different for all of us. If you add too much, the ‘too much’ part doesn’t mix and stays sandy like in the vial. So the first few times you test, Play with the amount you add until there are one or two grains spinning around and then add that much from then on.

It’s not expensive. $10 if you run out IIRC ? So the instructions for that test are a bit subjective too. It says to add a’heaping scoop’, which is different for all of us. If you add too much, the ‘too much’ part doesn’t mix and stays sandy like in the vial. So the first few times you test, Play with the amount you add until there are one or two grains spinning around and then add that much from then on.
thank you. very helpful

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.