Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Hayward Aqua Rite (T-15)
Hello everyone,

Instead of having an Intelliflo VS pump hardwired into an electric panel is it possible to connect a electric plug to the wire and plug it into a Wi-Fi 20 amp outlet? This way the pump can be controlled via a smart phone. I know there are pool automation systems out there but they seem very pricey to only control a few things.

Thank you Joe

IntelliFlo’s are designed to be powered all the time and use on-board schedules to control speeds and run times.

What benefit would you get by connecting it to a WiFi outlet? There would be no controlling the pump that way...

Also, a typical 120V wifi plug probably isn’t designed to handle the highly reactive loads presented by a high horsepower inductive motor. You’d likely damage the outlet that way.

Can schedules and speeds be controlled with the pumps computer without an automatic controller?

Jim. I was thinking to control the pump via smartphone but I guess that will not be needed after reading joys post. I’ll just install a timer to run certain number of hours a day.

Thanks for the replies

Ok. After reading these posts it won’t be a good idea. Thanks

It might work for a single speed pump but few people install those nowadays. Also, check your local codes - I though in ground pool pumps had to be hard-wired(?)

Can schedules and speeds be controlled with the pumps computer without an automatic controller?

Jim. I was thinking to control the pump via smartphone but I guess that will not be needed after reading joys post. I’ll just install a timer to run certain number of hours a day.

Thanks for the replies

The IntelliFlo’s on-board controller allows you some limited programming of speeds and runtimes. I think when using the pump itself you are limited to programming 4 speeds. I’m not sure how many time schedules are allowed. You can review the pump user manual online. The pump is intended to be powered up all the time but it only runs when you program it to. The standby power draw of the electronics when the pump isn’t moving water is minimal. The serial port communications interface (RS485) uses Pentair’s proprietary language which is not available to the end user.

Reactions: Aquaman7
I’ll just install a timer to run certain number of hours a day.

A7,

The pump has its own built in timer.. Basically you program the pump the number of hours you want it to run and the speeds you want it to run..

As an example.. 7 am until 10 am, at 1200 RPM. 10 am until 11 am at 2000 RPM. 11 am until 7 pm at 1200 RPM.. Obviously, this is just a made up example.. You will need to set the pump up for what you need for your pool.. The key to a VS pump is to run at a low RPM, most of the time, to save on the electrical bill, and only run at a higher RPM to run a cleaner or maybe a spa or some special water feature.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Reactions: Aquaman7
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.