Akathisia

Gold Supporter
LifeTime Supporter
Jul 6, 2015
Davis, CA
I’m posting my experience without much new information except the relatively minor issues I had with the Pentair High Power Wireless (HPW) Link Kit but I thought it might help to gather some of the URLs into a newer thread that might inspire someone else to upgrade to IntelliCenter.
Virtually all the information I needed was in the May 2021 thread by tclayton10: My foray from an EasyTouch8 to IntelliCenter

At the end of tclayton10’s thread was a helpful February 2023 comment/update by aholmes5 about bending the old-style SCG circuit breaker tab until it snaps off and making sure the new IntelliCenter transformer side holes are threaded (mine were full of paint, but already threaded and it helped to ream the threads before installation.)

Also very helpful information was in the 2020 MyAZPool thread: IntelliCenter Quick Reference/Information Guide[/FONT]and MyAZPool comments in other threads. There are other helpful comments in various threads by ajw22 and Jimrahbe. This wiki put together by ajw22 provides a nice IntelliCenter overview: Pentair Automation Systems - Further Reading

The main reason I upgraded was because we just got our pool replastered with a new Pentair IntelliBrite 5G Color LED pool light that replaced our ancient white incandescent light. However, when I went to fire up the IntelliBrite, there was only limited functionality with our 2007 EasyTouch 4. Even though we have a basic pool set up with a filter pump, IntelliChlor and a pool light, updating EasyTouch from 1.0.whatever wasn’t worth the money or the effort and ScreenLogic upgrade bundles were not significantly lower priced over the IntelliCenter upgrade, considering that IntelliCenter will probably be supported further into the future.

The other reason is that I like electronic gadgets and I like being able to control the pool equipment with my phone vs the clunky distance-challenged EasyTouch remote. Furthermore, all of the information provided by tclayton10 and others made it sound doable.

Using tclayton10’s parts list I purchased the following online:
  • Pentair IntelliCenter 522045 pool-only legacy (2003-2012) upgrade kit from epoolsupply.com for $800 which was nearly $200 less than the closest competitor.
  • Pentair Intellichlor 521218 SCG Surge Board was $249 at poolsupply4less.com
  • The Carling CTB-B-B12 circuit breaker was $11.25 shipped from Amazon (Pentair is still selling the same thing for $50!). It can be found cheaper with longer lead time.
I purchased everything on a Tuesday and the last part arrived by Saturday afternoon for a Sunday installation.

Everything went well using the steps laid out in tclayton10’s post. Even though my set up is so basic, I had some time delays caused by my cautious labeling, photographing and double checking due to lack of experience. It was also disappointing that the supplied Pentair instruction booklets were horrible grayscale photocopies of the OEM color instruction manuals (that are also posted online.)

One of the real time consumers for me was the High Power Wireless (HPW) Link Kit that replaced the EnGenius Wireless Access Point/Bridge. The Pentair instructions were confusing and there were a lot of parts for other installation scenarios that didn’t apply to my IntelliCenter upgrade. The instructions even referred to figures that didn’t exist and some valid references were misnumbered.

There was a HPW 2-sided instruction sheet apparently meant to supersede part of the 15-page instruction booklet packed in the same bundle. The instruction sheet proclaimed: “You only need the indoor and outdoor Transceivers, the Ethernet Cables and the AC Power supply.” However, the outside transceiver also requires the Power Module connector that has 3 places for connections: 1) Female ethernet cable connection to receive the ethernet cable from the HPW Outdoor Transceiver circuit board; 2) 24 VDC connector that goes into the dedicated 2-pin connection on the IntelliCenter circuit board; 3) male Ethernet connector from the power module into the IntelliCenter circuit board.

Mounting the stationary part of the outdoor housing was easy since it required the same screw locations I used for the EasyTouch antenna I was replacing. However, getting the 2 halves of the plastic housing case aligned and screwed together was a pain. Part of the problem was due to the ethernet cable connection to the HPW Outdoor Transceiver circuit board being off to the side of the board and not aligning with the centered knockout hole into the housing.

Note: The outdoor plastic housing case knockout hole did not easily or cleanly break away (poorly perforated.) I used a razor knife to create a correctly sized hole that would accept the provided knockout hole plug which the ethernet cable runs through. A rubber mallet helps to tap the knockout plug in, but this should be done before the ethernet cable is run through the plug. It was challenging to pull the ethernet cable back through the knockout hole plug.

The HPW indoor transceiver installation was a lot easier, and the wireless communication went well after I updated the firmware from v1.047 to v1.064 which supports Over The Air (OTA) updates, the IntelliCenter 2 app and website. (I will wait for TFP blessing before updating to the v2.00X firmware.) No significant wireless connections issues with a 65-foot line of sight through a chicken wire stucco wall.

Thanks to multiple comments by ajw22 in various threads, I had a good idea how the HPW 900 MHz matched indoor/outdoor transceivers speak to each other and I avoided the issues some others had when trying to connect to the home wifi, etc.

Programming IntelliCenter involved typical clunky Pentair non-intuitive menus and language. But I am getting used to it—like I did with EasyTouch. I really like being able to program and control from my iPhone wherever I am and the IntelliBrite pool light works great!

Below new transformer bracket before new Carling 12 amp circuit breaker installed in lower right slot
FD8D106F-39B7-4CD0-9A1E-CBC1BFB0A711_1_105_c.jpeg
Below EasyTouch Outdoor Control Panel (OCP) and uncovered high voltage compartment below.
87F78C2C-5259-4497-BF04-53A3CF6B790E_1_105_c.jpeg
Below is EasyTouch OCP folded down exposing EasyTouch 4 circuit board in foreground, old SCG board in the background to the left and rear of the 10A circuit breaker and tab. On the right is the EasyTouch transformer bracket with circuit breakers.
01707983-3EA0-408B-8232-D7FD9C3327D6_1_105_c.jpeg
Below is a closer view of low voltage (LV) compartment with EasyTouch circuit board removed.
See old IntelliChlor SCG board and 10A breaker/tab that will be removed.
4E3507EC-A51C-4954-BD5F-085F67405470_1_105_c.jpeg
Below is LV compartment after removal of SCG board leaving 2 screw holes at bottom of load center wall. The right screw hole is used to partially mount the new circuit board making it easier to mark the other 2 holes for the new board. New holes (not shown) need to be tapped. Bigger top hole is 10-32 and smaller low hole is 8-32 (see tclayton10's post url above). Also note the circuit breaker tab broken off with vice grips a la aholmes5.
1A2D31D3-B738-4C5E-9A81-31682B000B18_1_105_c.jpeg
Below with everything installed. IntelliCenter board up front, SCG board in back, new transformer bracket with circuit breakers and new transformer on right.
EF92B07C-6956-44C3-A103-CF4777F0173F_1_105_c.jpeg
Below IntelliCenter OCP screwed into place. The OCP panel face has pre-printed "IntelliChlor SCG" below the new 12A breaker.
4CE8C0B0-B8C2-4BEA-8257-5B5A72B8A00D_1_105_c.jpeg
Now I need an IntelliCenter decal to go over the old "EasyTouch" on the load panel door.
DE43857E-3476-49FB-8201-C2BBE1F679E7_1_105_c.jpeg
High Power Wireless Link Kit outdoor transceiver enclosure.
9986E435-33BD-4589-ADFA-E28A4928642D_1_105_c.jpeg

Reactions: ogdento
You certainly have more experience than we do! Wonder why you cannot use existing intellichlor daughter board, and also are there instructions anywhere regarding how to install new circuit breaker and SWG board? Thank you so much!

You certainly have more experience than we do! Wonder why you cannot use existing intellichlor daughter board, and also are there instructions anywhere regarding how to install new circuit breaker and SWG board? Thank you so much!
I'm doing my upgrade this morning, have the new SWG board in hand but I'm going to verify that it does need to be replaced first. If it does, it just requires drilling three new mounting holes and taping them with the correct drill bit/tap. The breaker us super easy, you just pull off the black hole cover and press the new breaker in place, then connect the same wires to it that are attached to the current breaker.

Reactions: lisakc
Thank you SOOOO much! Now I'm stressing about connecting the transformer to the high voltage area below... we are going to reconnect the same way the previous one was connected, but when I look at how the original pool contractor wired it, it doesn't appear to follow the wiring diagram, unless I'm missing something? Yellow was connected to nothing.

Attachments

• IMG_4651.jpeg
    IMG_4651.jpeg
    630.2 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_4652.jpeg
    IMG_4652.jpeg
    526.6 KB · Views: 6
Mine is up and running without issue, took about an hour. You do have to swap and move the surge board, but it's really easy since one hole location is already there from the old board and the other two just need to be drilled with the correct size drill bit. Don't need the tap since the metal is very soft.

Reactions: lisakc and Ahultin
Our cable that connects the svg board to the main board has red green white (not yellow) and black wires, that’s what the previous board had, is this a problem?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Our cable that connects the svg board to the main board has red green white (not yellow) and black wires, that’s what the previous board had, is this a problem?
Should not matter so long as it is at least a 22ga 4 conductor cable and you land it on the correct pins.

Everything wired correctly... intellichlor lights not coming on, not sure we still need the white antenna cable.. went to intellitouch remote.

Attachments

• IMG_0638.jpeg
    IMG_0638.jpeg
    656.7 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_0642.jpeg
    IMG_0642.jpeg
    506.2 KB · Views: 8
Crazy question... Everything wired correctly, however I am NOT understanding the Solar heating... I have a pool/spa with spillway, Valve A configured to Solar, Intelliflo configured to Solar Circuit, I have enabled solar heating, however the temp opposite heat mode solar only, keeps going down???. It is currently 91 degrees air temp, 77 degrees pool temp.. this doesn't seem right... Is my solar sensor off? Thank you all!

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-06-04 at 3.14.40 PM.png
    Screenshot 2023-06-04 at 3.14.40 PM.png
    43.3 KB · Views: 4
  • Screenshot 2023-06-04 at 3.18.35 PM.png
    Screenshot 2023-06-04 at 3.18.35 PM.png
    209.4 KB · Views: 5
  • Screenshot 2023-06-04 at 3.17.59 PM.png
    Screenshot 2023-06-04 at 3.17.59 PM.png
    116.8 KB · Views: 5
  • Screenshot 2023-06-04 at 3.17.41 PM.png
    Screenshot 2023-06-04 at 3.17.41 PM.png
    150.8 KB · Views: 5
  • Screenshot 2023-06-04 at 3.19.28 PM.png
    Screenshot 2023-06-04 at 3.19.28 PM.png
    331.9 KB · Views: 4
It is currently 91 degrees air temp, 77 degrees pool temp
You could Try swapping the air temp and solar temp sensors since the solar portion reads water and solar temp to activate. The only potential issue is if air temp reads too low it will go into freeze mode

You could Try swapping the air temp and solar temp sensors since the solar portion reads water and solar temp to activate. The only potential issue is if air temp reads too low it will go into freeze mode
Hoping there is a sensor replacement that does not involve replacing the entire cable and works with Intellicenter. I’ve done so much work on this old system, I just want to bring all of the pieces and parts up to date. You are amazing, and I am so appreciative of your help!

Hoping there is a sensor replacement that does not involve replacing the entire cable and works with Intellicenter.
Any 10k sensor works, so long as the cable is good you can re-use it and splice where needed. I used these sensor at my panels.
Romalon 42001-0053S Heater Thermistor Stainless Steel 3-Pack for Pool Heater Parts Replacement Part # 42001-0053S https://a.co/d/fPAdKsW

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.