Intellicenter Questions as I Upgrade my Automation & Pump

ajw22

Gold Supporter
TFP Guide
Jul 21, 2013
Northern NJ
This thread is for me to work out what I do in upgrading my 20 year old pool equipment. Jandy RS8 automation, 1.5HP SS Pentair pump, Pentair Mastertemp 400 NG heater, IC40 SWG, typical pool/spa combo with spa spillover, Pentair JVA actuators on suctions & return Jandy valves, 1HP pump for spa jets, Polaris 380 pressure cleaner with booster pump, air blower, control panel in house and by spa.

@MyAZPool Please confirm that the Pentair Intellivalves that come with the Intellicenter are just actuators and just bolt on the top of Jandy valves? They are not real valves that you need to plumb into.

My thinking right now is to replace the Jandy RS8 with the Intellicenter and my pump with the Intelliflo 011028.

I think I will get the Intellicenter 8 - I8PSIC60 - bundle that includes the Intellivalves and the IC60. My IC40 is a few years old and undersized for my 35K pool. So I can drop in the IC60 and have the IC40 as a spare. I will also get the Indoor control Panel and the Spa Command Controller.

My relay setup will be:
1 - Filter Pump
2 - Spa Jet pump
3 - Air Blower
4 - Polaris cleaner pump
5 - Pool Light
6 - Maybe equipment pad light

I need the Comm Port expansion board to connect to:
- 2 Intellivalves
- SWG
- Mastertemp heater
- Intelliflo pump

Current Jandy panel and pump pic is below.

MyAZPool

Gold Supporter
Jul 3, 2018
Arizona
This thread is for me to work out what I do in upgrading my 20 year old pool equipment. Jandy RS8 automation, 1.5HP SS Pentair pump, Pentair Mastertemp 400 NG heater, IC40 SWG, typical pool/spa combo with spa spillover, Pentair JVA actuators on suctions & return Jandy valves, 1HP pump for spa jets, Polaris 380 pressure cleaner with booster pump, air blower, control panel in house and by spa.

@MyAZPool Please confirm that the Pentair Intellivalves that come with the Intellicenter are just actuators and just bolt on the top of Jandy valves? They are not real valves that you need to plumb into.

My thinking right now is to replace the Jandy RS8 with the Intellicenter and my pump with the Intelliflo 011028.

I think I will get the Intellicenter 8 - I8PSIC60 - bundle that includes the Intellivalves and the IC60. My IC40 is a few years old and undersized for my 35K pool. So I can drop in the IC60 and have the IC40 as a spare. I will also get the Indoor control Panel and the Spa Command Controller.

My relay setup will be:
1 - Filter Pump
2 - Spa Jet pump
3 - Air Blower
4 - Polaris cleaner pump
5 - Pool Light
6 - Maybe equipment pad light

I need the Comm Port expansion board to connect to:
- 2 Intellivalves
- SWG
- Mastertemp heater
- Intelliflo pump

Current Jandy panel and pump pic is below.
ajw22
Allen,
Correct. Just the actuator. They bolt on to the valve just like any other actuator. BUT, please see my thread: Valve Actuator Mounting SOS. When re-plumbing, don't make the same mistake I did. I dodged a bullet there but had to do some McGivering on some of the Jandy Valve Diverter Splines.

That will be a nice setup and looks like you have done good research.

Might as well get the Serial COM Port Expansion board. You will need anyway it to take advantage of the RS-485 capabilities of the IntelliValve when the update is released, and it gives you some more serial and COM port connectors as well.

Ping me or PM me if you have any specific questions.
r.

ajw22

Gold Supporter
TFP Guide
Jul 21, 2013
Northern NJ
ajw22
Allen,
Correct. Just the actuator. They bolt on to the valve just like any other actuator. BUT, please see my thread: Valve Actuator Mounting SOS. When re-plumbing, don't make the same mistake I did. I dodged a bullet there but had to do some McGivering on some of the Jandy Valve Diverter Splines.
Rob, I saw that about your valve problems. I sort of understand the problem. I did not intend to make any plumbing or valve changes. Below is my actuator setup. Does it look like Intellivalves will be a problem?

MyAZPool

Gold Supporter
Jul 3, 2018
Arizona
Rob, I saw that about your valve problems. I sort of understand the problem. I did not intend to make any plumbing or valve changes. Below is my actuator setup. Does it look like Intellivalves will be a problem?
Allen,
1. I don't think it will be a problem with the Return Valve - Pool/Spa. But that vertical is close. If you want to give me a measurement from center mass of the valve housing to the edge of the vertical pipe, I will measure it for you and let you know.
2. Same with the suction valve nearest the pump. Measure center mass of the valve housing to the edge of the pump basket lid.
3. Give me a measurement (center mass) from the valve that is labeled "MAIN DRAIN" and the one labled SPA SUCTION.
4. And the same from the valve labeled "MAIN DRAIN" to the "SKIMMER" valve.
If you give me those measurements, I'll use my IntelliValves and see if you will be okay.
Lastly, I am assuming that you are automating all 4 valves right?
r.

ajw22

Gold Supporter
TFP Guide
Jul 21, 2013
Northern NJ
Lastly, I am assuming that you are automating all 4 valves right?
r.
I was just planning to replace the two existing actuators.

I don't see any benefit in automating the main drain shutoff or the skimmer selection valve. Do you?

MyAZPool

Gold Supporter
Jul 3, 2018
Arizona
I was just planning to replace the two existing actuators.
I don't see any benefit in automating the main drain shutoff or the skimmer selection valve. Do you?
Allen,
Let me put it like this. If I were utilizing any other automation system, probably not. With IntelliCenter you have 32 Feature Circuits and 100 schedules. There are all kinds of ways that you can use the added features of IntelliCenter to control those valves and I can sit and probably think of 5 to 10 right off the top of my head. Each valve will be it's own FEATURE CIRCUIT. You can schedule those FEATURE CIRCUITS any number of ways. You can run an hour from one skimmer another hour off the other skimmer or any combination of the two once you have five (5) preset valve positions to work from. You can run some of your cleaning cycle programming from the main drain and some from the skimmers or again any combination of the two. And all from one simple command. All kinds of various programs can be achieved because of the greater number of FEATURE CIRCUITS and SCHEDULES. And don't forget you can tie them all together using the macros (CIRCUIT GROUPS) (of which you have 16 maximum). Lot's of possibilities!
Let me know what you decide and on those measurements if you want and I will check it out for you.
r.

MyAZPool

Gold Supporter
Jul 3, 2018
Arizona
Exactly!! And now with my latest "High Tech Swimming Pool AutoPilot System" (and of course, some of your good advice Jim), I spend a lot less time maintaining and I have much more time to :paddle: now. Thanks!! :p
r.

ajw22

Gold Supporter
TFP Guide
Jul 21, 2013
Northern NJ
Let me know what you decide and on those measurements if you want and I will check it out for you.
Rob, pics with measurements are below.

I could take the two existing Pentair actuators and move them to the Main Drain valve and Skimmer valve, if they fit. I am not sure they will fit and I am not going to move pipes around for that. I can figure that out at installation time.

Will the Intellivalves have any problem fitting where the two existing actuators are?

Thanks for your help.

MyAZPool

Gold Supporter
Jul 3, 2018
Arizona
Rob, pics with measurements are below.
I could take the two existing Pentair actuators and move them to the Main Drain valve and Skimmer valve, if they fit. I am not sure they will fit and I am not going to move pipes around for that. I can figure that out at installation time.
Will the Intellivalves have any problem fitting where the two existing actuators are?
Thanks for your help.
ajw22
Allen,
Yes, you could use your two existing Pentair actuators if they fit. Just remember, that they will have degraded capability compared to the IntelliValve's capabilities, when the anticipated update is released.

Installing an IntelliValve at that 3-way just prior to the pump will be close. You will need a minimum of 5.5 " from center mass of the valve housing to the end of the IntelliValve (including about 1/4" to bend the cable around. Same with the Pool/Spa actuator. Very close.

Here are two illustrations. This first one shows the measurements of the IntelliValve. I think it better for you to just take this info that I have provided and then you can determine what will fit where in your existing plumbing layout.

This one shows four of my six IntelliValves. The only IntelliValve in the illustration that is actually mounted correctly is #3. The other three are mounted opposite from their normal mounting positions due to not having enough room to mount them properly. #4 would not fit because of #3. #1 would not fit properly due to a vertical pipe just to the left of it. #2 would not fit because of #1. They were all very close but just not enough room. I had to modify three of the four valve diverter splines as I spoke about earlier, just to get them to fit within my plumbing layout.

I hope this helps you out a bit.
Please let me know if you have any questions.
r.

ajw22

Gold Supporter
TFP Guide
Jul 21, 2013
Northern NJ
Thanks for the picture. I think they will fit as is. Since I will be replacing the pump with an Intelliflow I can move the pump back a bit to ensure the Intellivalve fits.

I laugh at your description of “degraded capabilities” for using the Pentair actuators. I hardly know why I will automate those valves at all let alone why I would need the advanced capabilities on those two.

Next step is getting some pricing for installs or deciding if I want to take on the install.

Other Threads of Interest