IntelliCenter and MasterTemp 400 Communication

Just wanted to update this. I've called Pentair to discuss the issue with the heater hanging in cooldown mode. I was at work and not in front of the equipment so I couldn't attempt what they were asking until later, so I still need to call them back. They asked me to verify if the heater was hanging in cooldown mode when disconnected from the RS485 network. That was the one thing that I didn't check when I was going through everything, darnit! I disconnected the 485 connection (has to be disconnected at the heater board, otherwise the heater still thinks it is connected to the network) and the heater works perfectly with the bypass valve, when just using the keypad on the heater. So it appears that something on the 485 network is not telling the heater to stop the cool down mode.

I'll update again as soon as I get more info.

--Jeff
Hey Jeff,

Have you had any other info from Pentair, or any other luck getting this to work? Pool builder just installed the Intellivalve to the heater bypass and seems to be running into the same problem.

Thanks,

Have you had any other info from Pentair, or any other luck getting this to work? Pool builder just installed the Intellivalve to the heater bypass and seems to be running into the same problem.
I have not. I got sidetracked with other things shortly after posting that and have not messed with it any more. I moved the bypass valve back to my IC board and control it off of the heater circuit in the IC.

@tomas21 - have you gotten anywhere with the on-board heater bypass? Anything further on the cool down not turning off?

--Jeff

I have not. I got sidetracked with other things shortly after posting that and have not messed with it any more. I moved the bypass valve back to my IC board and control it off of the heater circuit in the IC.

@tomas21 - have you gotten anywhere with the on-board heater bypass? Anything further on the cool down not turning off?

--Jeff
Troubleshooting has been paused hoping to diag in coming weeks but takes time to wait for cool down and auto rotate

I have the same issue and have logged it with Pentair. They asked for details on the setup and a picture of the heater control board (showing how the bypass valve and RS-485 are connected). They confirmed my setup is correct and have passed the issue to engineering. The issue has been with engineering for 2 weeks and Pentair Support advised that they are still awaiting feedback/guidance. Should I hear back, I will advise.

I have the same issue and have logged it with Pentair.
That's good. At least they have it logged now. I never made the opportunity to get back with them. The guy I was speaking with was likely a level 1 support tech and knew very little about what I was talking about.

Did you also try running it without the RS-485 connection to the Intellicenter, to verify that the function worked properly? Just curious because if so, it clearly points to something on the 485 network that is causing it.

--Jeff

That's good. At least they have it logged now. I never made the opportunity to get back with them. The guy I was speaking with was likely a level 1 support tech and knew very little about what I was talking about.

Did you also try running it without the RS-485 connection to the Intellicenter, to verify that the function worked properly? Just curious because if so, it clearly points to something on the 485 network that is causing it.

--Jeff
Yes and it works stand alone. Only a problem when 485 connected. It might be 485 network issue, but IC does tell heater to no longer heat and heater does go into cooldown mode, so I fear that the issue is on the MasterTemp control board, and I’ve not seen anything on firmware updates for it.

UPDATE: Pentair have responded that they are able to reproduce the issue - being stuck in cooldown - and are working on a fix. No details on when / which firmware to expect this correction. Should I hear anything, I will advise.

Last edited:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I am using a valve connection on the Intellicenter and scheduling it to actuate whenever the internal heater circuit is engaged.

--Jeff

Hi, I did the upgrade of the IC firmware to 2.006. The issue of the heater being stuck in cooldown seems to persist and the valve bypass does not engage either. Do others have the same experience?

Disappointed!

@Turbo1Ton & @TonyR68

I read through this thread and I am wondering what the current state of the features are and how best to connect the heater and IC wiring. I have new install with an Intellicenter i8PS running 1.064 and MasterTemp 400 with the automatic bypass kit .

The PB connected a 2 wire control cable from the heater’s fireman’s switch to the Gas Heater J2 on the IC control board and the Intellivalve is connected to the heater control board. There is no RS485 connection.

Will this allow the heater bypass valve to work properly? Or should I connect the Intellivalve to the IC? If to the IC, how do I set up the IC config:
- Plain Gas Heater or MasterTemp?
- Bypass valve control association with a heater?

The PB connected a 2 wire control cable from the heater’s fireman’s switch to the Gas Heater J2 on the IC control board and the Intellivalve is connected to the heater control board. There is no RS485 connection.

Will this allow the heater bypass valve to work properly?
I don't believe the bypass will work like this since the fireman's switch kills the control power to the heater so the board does not have power. You can confirm if there is control power without a call for heat by pressing the menu button on the heater and seeing if the heater display becomes active, when you do not have the heater turned on in the IntelliCenter.

- Plain Gas Heater or MasterTemp?
I think you will only have a Gas Heater selection if the RS485 is not connected. MasterTemp will become available if the RS485 is connected.

Or should I connect the Intellivalve to the IC? If to the IC, how do I set up the IC config:
I have my valve connected to the IC, and I am using the internal heater bit to activate it.

If you want to do this, you should remove the fireman's switch connection altogether, and wire up the RS485 connection. Put the jumper back on the fireman's switch connection in the heater.

Let me know if you have any questions.

--Jeff

My understanding is the MasterTemp controlled IntelliValve bypass does not close after the heater shutoff cool down period.

I have read that there is a version 1.1 of the MasterTemp PCB where this is supposed to be fixed.

So if the MasterTemp control of the IntelliValve bypass works properly will depend if you have V1.1 with the fix.

Reactions: Turbo1Ton
My understanding is the MasterTemp controlled IntelliValve bypass does not close after the heater shutoff cool down period.

I have read that there is a version 1.1 of the MasterTemp PCB where this is supposed to be fixed.

So if the MasterTemp control of the IntelliValve bypass works properly will depend if you have V1.1 with the fix.
How do I tell what version the MasterTemp PCB has?

How do I tell what version the MasterTemp PCB has?

Unfortunately I don't know. I have not had my hands on one.

There should be a firmware version you can display on the LCD or you may need to look at the labeling on the board and compare it to those here who have the older version with the bug.

Or you can try it and see if it works properly or not.

If this is correct, and I hope that it is, it will need to be connected via RS485, as the fireman's switch will kill the control power and the valve will not return to the bypass position.

--Jeff

If this is correct, and I hope that it is, it will need to be connected via RS485, as the fireman's switch will kill the control power and the valve will not return to the bypass position.

--Je
Is the fireman’s switch jumper just a straight connection between the two poles? I suspect the installers didn't keep the jumper. Can I just make my own with a wire?

Is the fireman’s switch jumper just a straight connection between the two poles? I suspect the installers didn't keep the jumper. Can I just make my own with a wire?

Yes, just use a wire to connect the two connection points.

Reactions: KevMo

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.