In SLAM process

Some people have higher and don't have it cloudy. It's probably just filtering out all the dead algae.

Also - this may have already been mentioned, sorry if it has - have you tried wiping the tip of the reagent you add when you are counting drops between each drop and making sure the bottle is completely vertical? This makes sure the drops are the right size. Smaller drops will give a false high on the test.

Reactions: Tracey R
TA is not causing the cloudiness. It is the dead algae. I know you have been at the SLAM process for a while now, but unfortunately you need to let the filter do it’s job. Adding DE after you backwash will help speed up the filtering. Pay attention to the filter pressure and only clean it when pressure rises 25% above clean pressure. AGPs are notoriously poor with circulation.

• Sad

Attachments

• 1E8C454F-FA59-4FB5-8F03-7A4E45B1233E.jpeg
    1E8C454F-FA59-4FB5-8F03-7A4E45B1233E.jpeg
    443.4 KB · Views: 39
  • BA44F129-22BD-4CFB-808F-A727D3740997.jpeg
    BA44F129-22BD-4CFB-808F-A727D3740997.jpeg
    451.7 KB · Views: 51
  • 87938EA7-2A71-409E-9905-D85F3EC5868C.jpeg
    87938EA7-2A71-409E-9905-D85F3EC5868C.jpeg
    424.8 KB · Views: 51
  • 85D88025-7DE1-4439-90BE-F1265F223192.jpeg
    85D88025-7DE1-4439-90BE-F1265F223192.jpeg
    648.1 KB · Views: 56
  • 6C6A9754-0F3B-4F59-B8C4-5AE833A89011.jpeg
    6C6A9754-0F3B-4F59-B8C4-5AE833A89011.jpeg
    307.6 KB · Views: 51
Tracey,
I just realized your pool was previously PermaSalt pool. Although I’m not familiar with this system, I did quick search and it looks like a quite nasty system that will create many problems. It introduces copper, clarifier, some enzyme and would drive CYA sky high. I know you replaced some water to battle CYA so you might have resolved some of the issues. My concern is clarifier clumping your sand and inhibiting proper filtration. Did you ever replaced sand or did deep cleaning after converting to chlorine?

Tracey,
I just realized your pool was previously PermaSalt pool. Although I’m not familiar with this system, I did quick search and it looks like a quite nasty system that will create many problems. It introduces copper, clarifier, some enzyme and would drive CYA sky high. I know you replaced some water to battle CYA so you might have resolved some of the issues. My concern is clarifier clumping your sand and inhibiting proper filtration. Did you ever replaced sand or did deep cleaning after converting to chlorine?
I have replaced the sand one time, almost 2 years ago. The copper clarifier thing isn’t working any longer bc I didn’t purchase the new cartridge last year.

I have not done the deep cleaning process yet. That’s the project for tomorrow.

The “sand“ which is sold for the system is basically cat litter. Or it looks like it.

Can I purchase filter sand at Home Depot also? I could just start new....

I did the deep clean today. The sand was so gross I dumped it and started with new sand. I unscrewed the drain plug and nothing came out ?
No wonder I was getting bubbles after I backwashed. Hopefully this will get my pool clear by EOW.
I’ll keep slamming until then

Attachments

• A0BF6C06-E84C-41CB-81A1-077D64483F6C.jpeg
    A0BF6C06-E84C-41CB-81A1-077D64483F6C.jpeg
    445.9 KB · Views: 78
  • 1D7D0059-4A2A-45D9-A0CE-8984DB288B2A.jpeg
    1D7D0059-4A2A-45D9-A0CE-8984DB288B2A.jpeg
    898.4 KB · Views: 81
  • D8555CEC-D235-4BBA-A556-BCC491802B6A.jpeg
    D8555CEC-D235-4BBA-A556-BCC491802B6A.jpeg
    924 KB · Views: 79

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
EWWWWWWWWWWW! Good job @Fast7 ! You caught something all the rest of us missed!!! @Fast7 in for the win!!!!! ?

Kim:kim:
It's amazing how much I'm learning! YAY for forward movement!!!

Once I get this process done, I'm getting my SWG. I'll put my leaf cover over the pool in late September or October probably. Definitely around the time the fronts start moving through. My pool is surrounded by trees.

I should be able to keep it GTG if I maintain it, right?! Since the temps and UV will be less I'm guessing the #s will be less? Or will I be better off winterizing the pool? I've never done that.

I don't want to battle this again next summer.

We suggest waiting until the water is less than 60 before "relaxing" with the up keep of the of the water. In TX most people don't close their pools so it is up to you. We can help you close it if that is what you want to do.

Kim:kim: who keeps her FL open year round even through the leaf drop but it is worth it to me.

We suggest waiting until the water is less than 60 before "relaxing" with the up keep of the of the water. In TX most people don't close their pools so it is up to you. We can help you close it if that is what you want to do.

Kim:kim: who keeps her FL open year round even through the leaf drop but it is worth it to me.
I don't really want to but for the last 2 years I have tried 2 different ways.

2017 I covered it with a leaf net and that worked out much better than 2018 "winter". 2018 I didn't use the net and obviously that worked horribly. I am able to still see the water and use the robo vac with the leaf net but keep most of the debris out of the pool. My goal is to maintain it so I will probably not close it.

60 degrees.....that's good to know. My filter has the "winterize" option and I had no real idea what that meant.

I'll save that discussion for later. Thanks!

Tracey, my pool installer said winterize was for in ground pools after blowing air through the lines and adding antifreeze. He told use to never use it due to having an above ground. Not sure he was right. However, we’ve never set our pump to that setting when closing.

Tracey, one more suggestion if I may. I checked your logs and it looks like you don't have much chlorine consumption until about 5 pm. Then it takes a huge drop in next few hours. It might be one of the reasons your SLAM drags a long time. If you can, test and replenish chlorine every hour from 5 pm to 9 pm, at least for one day, to make sure you really starve it off. I suspect, sun is hitting your pool at this time, energizing algae to rapidly multiply again. I'm afraid the progress you make overnight and thru morning is somewhat lost in those few afternoon hours.

Tracey, thank you for following my suggestions. It didn't produce results I was hoping to see - mainly reduced chlorine consumption. I think it might be a good sign though. I think the fact that you can hold chlorine overnight but it drops rapidly afternoon is no longer due to algae. I think your CYA might be lower than what you think it is, probably around 20, maybe even lower. That would explain why FC is rapidly burned down to 8 or so with sunlight.
Go ahead and test your CYA whenever you can and let us know what you find. Test CC also next time you test FC, just to make sure there is nothing going on there. If I'm correct, it's time to reassess your SLAM target and perhaps relax your additions a bit. At this point you might be wasting a lot of chlorine trying to keep FC around 18. Any changes in water clarity? Are bubbles gone now?

Good morning.
Yes, I've seen improvement in the water clarity. I've not backwashed since I replaced the sand. Clarity is slow going but unless my eyes are playing tricks, it's working.

I had to order more powder to continue testing (which is why there are so few tests in the past day or so). It should arrive today.

I thought about getting a fresh check on all the numbers yesterday but didn't due to the powder shortage I'm experiencing. Amazon 1 day shipping has me spoiled so USPS shipping (4 days) feels like forever.

I'll post when I get them.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.