IceShadow’s pool thread 2022

Had the Jandy set to skimmer only yesterday. Checked this morning, pump running at 1200 rpm, lots of air in the basket and no pressure on the gauge. Gonna have to check my unions on the suction side again when I can.

sigh.............well at least it is moving water so..............
Yep, I opened the valve to pull from the side port and skimmer both and pumped it to 3000 and the air went away. So it works and it's not the pump, pretty sure. I'll have to re-do the lube on the o-rings when I get home.

Reactions: kimkats
To confirm, air in the system is a suction-side leak. Obvious places to check are before the pump. There, I have:

- The Jandy valve I just replaced and haven't opened - guess I'll open it and lube those o-rings and wrap teflon tape around it as recommended for the old valve before I replaced it - @1poolman1 , would I potentially have to do this with a brand new valve?

- The 2" union I put in - will open it and lubricate o-ring and re-seal

- The union going into the pump itself - will open and re-lubricate (did that yesterday while reassembling pump)

There's also the pump itself. Will open and re-lubricate the o-ring on the lid and the two plugs in the pump.

If the unions heading out of the pump or after it were loose it would result in leaking and not air in the system, correct?

OK, that limits the amount of places it could be getting air. I suppose it's possible the skimmer somehow went dry, then re-opened overnight, but I find that pretty unlikely.

Reactions: Newdude
New valves should not need to be opened or sealed for many years. Be sure that the pump drain plug in the hair-and-lint pot is not leaking.
I will check. It was raining yesterday so I couldn't see if it had a leak then. (By hair-and-lint pot do you mean the area where the impeller is?) I did use silicone lubricant on both plugs when I put them back in. I think I have some new o-rings I can put on them, too.

I won't open the Jandy then for the time being. Was considering opening it to break off the tabs preventing me from closing off the pump side (so I could close it off with the pump off before opening the lid and avoid losing all the water in my suction pipes), but I'll hold off doing so.

Don't break the tab, its on the handle, anyway, not inside. If you want to go past the stop, loosen the screw a little more so the handle can be lifted higher.
Hair-and-lint pot = area under the pump lid. Silicone lube on the drain plugs is not a sealant.

Reactions: IceShadow

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I think my skimmer basket was plugged up. It looked fairly empty and I can see the bottom, but there was enough junk in the skimmer sock that it didn’t let water through easily. I’m going to need to leave both the skimmer and the side port open until the pool is filtered more.

Next step when I find the time: troubleshooting the outdoor speakers we haven’t touched since moving in. We tested them and some worked. My guess is some of the wires are cut. Would be nice to know how to fix it, but - one step at a time.

Reactions: kimkats and Newdude
Soooooo, I have been chasing a suction side leak for 2+ months. Superflo pump. Side comment from @Jimrahbe on a random thread, along with a @Newdude comment on another thread, led me to the conclusion that, at low speed, a VSP pump will, for whatever reason, grow a bubble in the pump due to the pressure at low levels running the VSP slow. I've accepted this as TRUTH. I set up my superflo to run one of the three cycles at 3000rpm for 15 minutes once a day to eliminate the silver dollar pancake size bubble that has formed over the previous 23 hrs.

This has worked like magic. I left Sunday night for out of town. Came back tonight and pancake was there, cleared at 8pm when I have 3000rpm setup to run.

I would recommend, setup cycle 1 for 3000rpm for 15 minutes, cycle two and three for 1200-1600rpm for the remainder of the 24 hr cycle. Let it run for 24 hours. If the pump doesn't lose prime in 24hrs, accept, like me, that the pump lid allows a bit of air over time to enter the basket area.

My pre TFP ignorance was bliss sometimes and the 3 inch pump lid bubble was one of those times. I asked my PB about it on week 2 and he said it was normal if it didn't get bigger. 7 years later when I learned about suction side leaks, there was no need to fix what wasn't broke.

Soooooo, I have been chasing a suction side leak for 2+ months. Superflo pump. Side comment from @Jimrahbe on a random thread, along with a @Newdude comment on another thread, led me to the conclusion that, at low speed, a VSP pump will, for whatever reason, grow a bubble in the pump due to the pressure at low levels running the VSP slow. I've accepted this as TRUTH. I set up my superflo to run one of the three cycles at 3000rpm for 15 minutes once a day to eliminate the silver dollar pancake size bubble that has formed over the previous 23 hrs.

This has worked like magic. I left Sunday night for out of town. Came back tonight and pancake was there, cleared at 8pm when I have 3000rpm setup to run.

I would recommend, setup cycle 1 for 3000rpm for 15 minutes, cycle two and three for 1200-1600rpm for the remainder of the 24 hr cycle. Let it run for 24 hours. If the pump doesn't lose prime in 24hrs, accept, like me, that the pump lid allows a bit of air over time to enter the basket area.
I have a 3000 rpm run for an hour or so to help with skimming, and then 2000 for a couple of hours, then 1200 for the rest of the day. I push the 2000 up to the remainder (to override the 1200) when I'm pushing the temp in the pool up as 1200 is too slow for my heater water switch.

Picked up the second order of parts from my local store. Cost about $70 more than online, but it’s to be expected and I already put down a down payment on the special order so I figured I’ll just have an extra of stuff.

They were selling four packs of 12.5% 1 gallon chlorine for over $30. I didn’t have the heart to mention to them that the farm and fleet nearby was selling them for 15.

• Wow
Reactions: Mdragger88

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.