IC-40 Communication Lost, but functioning properly

beels

Jul 11, 2011
Issue
IntelliChlor IC-40 is working properly, but ScreenLogic 2 is reporting “Chlorinator: Communication Lost.”

Equipment:
All Pentair, except Polaris 280 + Booster
IC-40
FNS Plus 60 sq ft DE filter
Master Temp 400K
i9+3 automation system
IntelliFlo variable Flow pump
Approx 15K gallons

Troubleshooting/Observations:
  • Power off/restart i9 twice.
  • Removed IC-40 cable from Load Center, and reinstalled. Cleaned cable pin contacts with wire brush and lubed.
  • Cleaned Cell. Wasn’t very dirty, but I acid-cleaned it anyway.
  • All lights on IC-40 appear normal. Good salt level, flow rate, two status lights indicating it’s operating at between 21-40% (I had set at 35% on Screenlogic).
  • Observed bubbles at closest pool return, which indicate it is chlorinating.

Please help me with some ideas. Thanks!

Jimrahbe

Mod Squad
TFP Expert
LifeTime Supporter
Jul 7, 2014
Bedford, TX
B,

If you use ScreenLogic and set your output percent to 100% does the IC40's lights change to indicate that the SWCG is changing in response to ScreenLogic's input?

If you then set ScreenLogic to 0% do the lights on the cell go to zero?

Thanks,

Jim R.

beels

Jul 11, 2011
No, sorry, I forgot to mention that. I tried various setting on Screenlogic, such as different chlorination percentages and super-chlorination. The IC-40 does not respond and Screenlogic eventually resets to showing 0%.

Jimrahbe

Mod Squad
TFP Expert
LifeTime Supporter
Jul 7, 2014
Bedford, TX
B,

Assuming your pump is an IntelliFlo, go out and look at the display and make sure it says "Display Not Active"...

If the pump does not say Display Not Active, that means that the main com port on the EasyTouch is not working..

Also need to make sure you are not in the Service mode...

Tell us what you find..

Jim R.

beels

Jul 11, 2011
Jim,
Thank for the responses. Yes, I have an IntelliFlo Variable Flow. It says Display Not Active, as expected, since IntelliTouch is in the normal "auto" mode, not "service" or "time out." Everything else about the installation is working normally. This system is about 7 years old.
Also, I have an IntelliTouch i9+3, not Easy Touch, if that matters.

Duane

Jimrahbe

Mod Squad
TFP Expert
LifeTime Supporter
Jul 7, 2014
Bedford, TX
Duane,

If you can control the pump from ScreenLogic, then that tells us that ScreenLogic is communicating with your IntelliTouch just fine and that the main Com port is ok,

That leaves the SWCG and the SWCG's power supply/surge card..

The surge card is what supplies the DC voltage to the cell as well as the communications link to the cell.

The surge card is plugged into the com port on the main card, so if someone has been in there messing around, they could have broken the connection...

How old is the cell?

The surge card is mounted to the back wall of the IntelliTouch and will look something like this..

I would make sure the surge card is connected to the com port on the main card..

If the cell is 7 years old, I would suspect it is bad, but there is just no way to tell for sure.

One other thing to check... Make sure the cell is enabled... See check box below..

Thanks,

Jim R.

beels

Jul 11, 2011
HI Jim,

Yes, the IC-40 is enabled on the Screenlogic configuration.
The IC-40 is about 7 years old. I take it inside every year when not in use.
My surge card (how does it get that name?) wiring doesn't look disturbed. I am the only one who's been inside the load center since installation.
I removed the Com plugs and verified secure wiring.
I tried moving the IC-40 to one of the other Com ports; no change.

My card has a different part number (#521091). It has more status lights:
D6 pwr = green
D7 cell pwr = green
D1 = blinking out an apparently random red pattern with a lot of 6's. I watched it for awhile and got this (6,5,1,2,6,6,6,8,4,6,6,6,2,6,4,6,6,1,6....)
D2 = green
D3 = dead

[Edit: I did a Life Check on the cell and only the first light is lit, so only 2000 hours use after 7 years I guess.]

Duane

Last edited:

Jimrahbe

Mod Squad
TFP Expert
LifeTime Supporter
Jul 7, 2014
Bedford, TX
Duane,

I have no clue why they call it the "surge" card unless it is a language thing... It is a power supply card with filters and regulators so I guess you could say it keeps any surges out of the voltage... :scratch:

I suggest that you call Pentair and see if they can decode the lights for you..

Please let us know what they have to say..

Thanks,

Jim R.

beels

Jul 11, 2011
I called Pentair. First I spoke with an Automation guy, who had me move Comm connections around to troubleshoot the cable. I had already done this over the weekend, and also done continuity tests across all the Comm terminals. Comm ports seem fine.

Next, I spoke with an IntelliChlor person. She said since my IC-40 is still producing chlorine, it is most like a defective sensor on the flow switch, which communicates with the automation system. She said replacing the flow switch might solve my issue, but I may not want to invest that money due to the age of the cell (7 years).

I learned something about cell life. The actual usage is determined by hours that water travels across the blades. So if your pump is running, you are using hours on your cell. I always thought that you should apply the output percentage to the run-time hours (in my case 30-35% typically). She said this is not correct. While my cell life check is showing 2000 hours cell life used (actually, I guess between 2000-3999 hours since only the first light was lit), she was calculating closer to 8000 hours used. She said when cells get close to end-of-life, they've noted that the life check is not accurate.

My plan is to use the cell as is while it is still producing chlorine, but plan on replacing it next season.

mknauss

Mod Squad
TFP Expert
Bronze Supporter
May 3, 2014
Laughlin, NV
So if your pump is running, you are using hours on your cell.
That is not true. If the cell is not producing chlorine, it is not consuming the metal on the plates. Cell hours are based on generating hours. Not pump run time hours.

There may be some degradation due to long term water flow but the primary reason for less generating hours is using acid to clean the cell.

beels

Jul 11, 2011
Well, as I said, it surely makes sense to me that the output percentage be taken into consideration to calculate Cell hours, but the Pentair "expert" said I had that wrong. I asked twice to ensure there was no misunderstanding. Sounds like they may have given me bad info.

mknauss

Mod Squad
TFP Expert
Bronze Supporter
May 3, 2014
Laughlin, NV
If what that Pentair person said was true, many of our members whom run their pumps 24/7 365 days a year would have a SWCG failure each year. And that does not happen.