Supposed to be able to. But Floc is a horrible product. Try to get some out. But to get most of it will be a multi day process.
If a pool service is going to continue to be used, best to just let them deal with all of this.

Yeah, you are in a tough spot. Algae and Floc. We can't deal with the algae, cause we need to kill it and remove it to regain visibility, which requires filtration. Dealing with the FLOC requires us to get it out, but we can't see it to vacuum efficiently.

@mknauss and @JoyfulNoise, you guys agree on getting as much of the FLOC out first, then deal with the algae, even if we need to clean the grids containing some errant FLOC?

It may be that we will end up with some FLOC in the filter later, and will deal with that if it comes. Sounds like you are committed and methodical. That REALLY helps.

Ok- big day tomorrow and I owe you some follow ups. I think a side effect of having to drain and add water so many times tomorrow might help with some improvement in visibility? Who knows. I really thank you for your help. This is unbelievable and I’m grateful for finding you.

So, @blackhighlighter , you have another choice to be made.

Seems like you made the choice to add the FLOC. Can you confirm, or did the the pool company tell you to add it? From your screen grab, I assume you.

Do you intend to keep the pool service company, or are you intending to start maintaining the pool yourself? If you are going to have the pool company maintain, then I agree with Marty. Bite the bullet an let them deal with it.

If you are going to maintain, then the right course of action is to get as much FLOC out as we can, even over a couple days. One addition of FLOC, we can deal with errant FLOC through the filter after we get most out.

If you are going to maintain the pool, I'd stick with our plan. Let's get most out, be diligent...then we switch to SLAM. If you are going to use the pool service, turn it over to them.

Ok- big day tomorrow and I owe you some follow ups. I think a side effect of having to drain and add water so many times tomorrow might help with some improvement in visibility?
Not likely.

No one recommended any of this - this was all me. In 10 yrs not one “pool guy” I’ve had has been able to explain why I had a green pool or recommend a path to fixing it.

These guys are not the ones to dig me out of this mess. They don’t speak a word of English and their services are limited. I had the alleged best pool guy in town come over ( and mind you this is like the pool capital of the world) and he told be the reason for the cloudiness was because the micronized VC I bought wasn’t fine enough.

So, the pool guys are fine for maintenance I guess, but I’m here because I don’t trust them. I need to get out of this mess on my own at the very least and determine next steps from there. This all feels super doable to me.

Reactions: kimkats
I assume blackhighlighter means the ascorbic acid/vit c.

Ok all - round 1 achieved.

Did first waste out/ vacuum of flocc. One thing I forgot to mention is that the ONLY means of vacuuming is plugging into the single skimmer port (?). So water going below the skimmer isn’t an issue as we are pulling from the vacuum.

With that said however- it took about 15 min to lose about 8 inches. I stopped at that point as I felt the flocc was needing to resettle. Visibility not terrible, but hose and vacuum heavier than I thought and it was tricky to be methodical like I was mowing a lawn. Did best I could. I feel like I got 60-70 percent. I’m adding some water now gently, letting flocc settle and will do 2 more passes. Thinking every 2 hrs.

Im going to go pickup some chlorine now. Is there anything I should say or ask for in particular. Never bought it in my life. I’m not adding any though!

See pics.

Attachments

• IMG_9267.jpeg
    IMG_9267.jpeg
    516.6 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_9268.jpeg
    IMG_9268.jpeg
    495.7 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_9270.jpeg
    IMG_9270.jpeg
    346.4 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_9271.jpeg
    IMG_9271.jpeg
    242 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_9272.jpeg
    IMG_9272.jpeg
    517.8 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_9273.jpeg
    IMG_9273.jpeg
    198.9 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_9277.jpeg
    IMG_9277.jpeg
    516.7 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_9276.jpeg
    IMG_9276.jpeg
    375.3 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_9275.jpeg
    IMG_9275.jpeg
    231.2 KB · Views: 16

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Look for a pinch a Penney pool store. Those in Florida have chlorine in 2.5 gallon reusable containers.

Ok all - round 3 of the flocc vac/ waste out process is complete. Pool is about 12” low and is refilling now.

I do still see what I think is “flocc” chunks floating around - it looks a bit like citrus pulp floating around.

I also have secured 2.5g of liquid chlorine from Pinch a Penny.

Not sure what next steps are, but I’m ready. Maybe this will sound ridiculous, but I do have tons of those skimmer socks if we want to reduce the amount of flocc going into the filter over the next few days.

Thank you for all your help so far

Use the skimmer socks. You are going to need more than 2.5 gallons. Lol.

Do you have your test kit yet? If no, then we wait for the kit. Add 5ppm of liquid chlorine per day until the test kit arrives. Print out the sLAM process below and get ready. When the kit arrives, we SLAM.

If you have the kit, print this out, read it three times, keep it with you and follow the process. Link-->SLAM Process

Use the skimmer socks. You are going to need more than 2.5 gallons. Lol.

Do you have your test kit yet? If no, then we wait for the kit. Add 5ppm of liquid chlorine per day until the test kit arrives. Print out the sLAM process below and get ready. When the kit arrives, we SLAM.

If you have the kit, print this out, read it three times, keep it with you and follow the process. Link-->SLAM Process
Ok, I haven’t run the calculator yet, but one of the gentleman said to get 2.5 gallons. Will I need more today? The test kit you recommended has not arrived. I ordered it last night, so I imagine end of week. Will review info. Going to calculate the 5ppm daily amount now. Confirming you want me to add that and the resume normal filter ops on pool (once water is at a safe level)

Edit- realizing the gentleman said they had 2.5g avail, but not that was the needed amount.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support