I got my test kit!! Now what!!?

So please help me with how much bleach I should put in? Or at least could someone direct me to where I can read how much time in between all of these additions to the pool and if I should be running the filter. I assume so. What should go first etc.

Baeritto,

You have a great bunch of experts here helping you. I just want to give you a piece of advice that will help - POP (Pool Owner Patience).

Right now the best thing you can do is....slow down. Your pool is a green swamp. It did not get that way overnight and it will not be fixed in a day or two. You are likely going to be at this for a week or more based on the condition of your pool and the fact that you are new to pools. I suspect that you might be a Type-A, Go-gett'er personality that wants to jump on problems ASAP and fix'em fast. I can tell you that this is not one of those things that can be fixed fast. It is going to take a lot of your time and focussed attention to get the pool back into top-flight shape. Once it is fixed the TFP way, you will be bored with how easy it is to maintain. But, for now, you're going to need HEAPING doses of patience and perseverance.

You will have a great pool again, I can promise you that.

Good luck,

Matt

Thank you, Matt. I understand and I am willing to be patient. That is why I asked where I can read on how long I need to wait in doses because I don't want to do things to quickly or too late to where the chemicals are wasted. I am well aware this is going to take a long time, I promise that.

It's all about testing.

You use PoolMath to come up with the right amount of bleach to add, you add that bleach. Unless you're testing for ammonia, you can wait an hour or two and test again. If the FC is below the level you need to maintain for SLAM, you once again use Pool Math to enter your current value and your target value, and then add the correct amount of Bleach. Rinse and repeat (this is the "maintain" part of the SLAM). All the time you should be brushing, scooping out any goo you can with your leaf rake (the net thingy) and carefully monitoring your filter pressure. Repeat over and over until you meet the three conditions to terminate the SLAM.

In a previous post, there is a link to SLAM your pool. Once you have your pH down to around 7.4, slowly add 5 of those 12 gallons to your pool in front of a running return. wait 1/2 hour, test, and add more bleach using pool math to reach your SLAM target. Check again in another 1/2 hour, and repeat ad nauseum.

Have your man brush the pool -- sides included -- a couple of times a day.

I can almost guarantee that it is going to look worse before it gets better. Take pictures daily, so you will have a record of any improvements.

Almost everyone here has gone through what you are doing, so you need to know it can be done.

Still reading in pool school. Learning about the FC---bleach seeing stuff about the length of time for the filter and everything.

At this point don't worry about pump run times. You are going to need to leave your pump running 24/7 until your swamp is cleared up.

Go to poolmath. Type in 0 for your FC now. Type in 12 for your goal. Go to the right and enter the bleach percentage you bought, (it should be on the jug), and then the jug size. Hit calculate at the top and tap the add box. It will tell you what to add.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Pictures are good and will inspire you to keep going. Before long you will have a crystal clear pool like the others. Your understanding of the theory has already grown since your first post. Slow and Steady. Keep it up!

Great. I had to go to Walmart and get supplies just a couple hours ago. Had to take care of something else yesterday instead of working on the pool. So I put 20oz of MA as pool math suggested (pump is running) about 20 mins ago I am gonna go out here in about another 20 mins, get a sample and see where my pH is at.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.