I got my test kit!! Now what!!?

I just started with my test kit a couple days ago. Whee!

Did you see this about the tips on some of the bottles? Yours may be one of the kits with the wrong tips. TFTestkits has a big to report

The SLAM instructions say to decrease your pH levels before you start the SLAM process. I'm just 2 days into my SLAM, not done yet.

Based on what I've seen here, and what I did, fix the pH, and then you can add stabilizer in the amounts indicated in poolmath. While adding stabilizer you can start adding your chlorine. This is a lot of work (I'm so tired after being out there for pretty much 2 days and fiddling with cleaning out our mess) but I think the reward will be great!

Okay. With the goal of you learning how to manage your own pool, here is a tutorial for using PoolMath (link at the top of the page): Pool School - PoolMath

In the morning, put all that bleach in the pool slowly in front of a deep end return. Then go shopping for about 12 gallons of bleach and some cyanuric acid (CYA). I get 100% from my local big box store.

Then, play with PoolMath and see if you can figure out: (calculate each item below one at a time: calculate 1) then do 2), then 3) rather than all at once).

1) how much MA (muriatic acid) to add to get to pH of 7.4
2) how much CYA to add to get to 30ppm
3) how much chlorine to add (with CYA of 30) to get to "shock level"

You can post your PoolMath results here and we can check you if you want. If you decide to add anything before checking, please wait a half hour between MA and chlorine additions.

That's why it says "I think" lol. I haven't read of up on that lol. I have a salt water pool. Sorry....

(Salt water pool, **estimated until further notice**12,000 gallons, currently a SWAMP, 3-5 foot deep, DE filter, *i don't think I have a SWG?)

That's why it says "I think" lol. I haven't read of up on that lol. I have a salt water pool. Sorry....

(Salt water pool, **estimated until further notice**12,000 gallons, currently a SWAMP, 3-5 foot deep, DE filter, *i don't think I have a SWG?)
If you have a salt water chlorine generator, it will be by the pump and filter in the piping.

Take a gander at Pool School - Visual Encyclopedia of Pool Equipment and it should help you identify your equipment and maybe also figure out what some mystery items left behind might be.

Yes!! Haha. Sorry I just woke up. So YES I have a SWG. If we are comparing from the pool equipment. Mine is similar to the aquarite. So I'm gonna be sending my guy to the store and telling him what to do because I have to go to work. So even though I have a SWG, do I need to go buy bleach and CYA? Is that 12 gallons each?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Yes!! Haha. Sorry I just woke up. So YES I have a SWG. If we are comparing from the pool equipment. Mine is similar to the aquarite. So I'm gonna be sending my guy to the store and telling him what to do because I have to go to work. So even though I have a SWG, do I need to go buy bleach and CYA? Is that 12 gallons each?

Yes, bleach. The SWG can't produce enough FC fast enough to get ahead of algae.

The CYA, don't buy 12 gallons of the liquid! You'd need to mortgage the house to pay for that! Granular CYA aka Stabilizer is just fine. One 4 or 5 lb canister is plenty for now. Don't add it all just yet. They sell it in the pool aisle at Lowes and Home Depot and many other big box stores. Keep your guy out of the pool store! He'll come home with all kinds of overpriced potions and powders you don't need.

Okay, yeah, I called them and they had it for like $15... so I am gonna buy two of those and 12 gallons of bleach...

then when I get home, I am going to pour the 12 gallons of bleach into the pool and how much of the stabilizer? Do I pour it in right after the bleach? My pool is around 12,000 gallons

Okay, yeah, I called them and they had it for like $15... so I am gonna buy two of those and 12 gallons of bleach...

then when I get home, I am going to pour the 12 gallons of bleach into the pool and how much of the stabilizer? Do I pour it in right after the bleach? My pool is around 12,000 gallons
DO NOT just dump everything into the pool!

I guess you missed MarianParoo's post #25. We want you to know how to calculate things. If you just want someone to tell you what to dump in, the pool store will be more than happy to do that.

What to add and how to add it is in Pool School - Recommended Pool Chemicals
How to use poolmath to figure how out how much is in Pool School - PoolMath

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.