I got my test kit!! Now what!!?

f472c6997116803b54f9d4c9f3ba429c.jpg

Have seen much change in the last couple of days. Staying patient...

I would need to check... I have help at home with the bleach addition but I have not taught anyone how to check the DE. I need to read up myself on that.... I haven't gotten to that point yet. I do know the filter is still at a good pressure.

I will be home in a few hours and can check.

By the way, when should I add salt back into the pool? After the bleaching process? I know once I've got it clear we need to do a new line of tests and go from there. I was just concerned about salt. I am trying to understand the DE situation because that just may be the issue as to why pool isn't clear yet. I have read and saw that it is determined by the size of my filter? We have a pretty big pod with about 12 of those grids inside it.

***just saw your comment too #168... I will continue reading while i have a moment! Thank you.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
6e1ad2adc418737e6f3bf7202cc900b0.jpg

So we added half of what the recommended amount of DE was for our filter. On the side of our pod it said to put in 4.8 cups, we did 2.4... That was yesterday around 4pm, haven't noticed too big of a difference. Still doing bleach. Should we add those other 2.4?

If if were me I would break you filter down and give it a good cleaning and start all over. RIght now there is NO way to know just how much DE is in there in total. Too little DE can cause your grids to get damaged and we do not want that to happen!

If you this then you can add what the filter says it needs and KNOW it is correct. Hopefully that will help you finish your SLAM.

Kim:cat:

Guys I'm still alive! Lol. We've been practicing the same thing all this time. Test, bleach adjust, brush, test, bleach adjust, brush.. Ended up adding some DE in the mix of all that. 4.8 cups to be exact and we cleared the pool about 2.5 feet from the surface it seemed. Then yesterday, we were brushing and noticed a big blob of algae near the drain in the middle and we brushed it.....
706ab86224bce6aefae5c3c95b249e04.jpg

So we went back to square one....adjusted Per FC test results and added bleach. We're back to blue now since overnight and it's a little murky now.

Just wanted to give an update!

So...yes...five days later we have been doing the same thing, except for the last two.

Test, bleach, brush.. Clarity hasn't improved. Not giving up on that. I understand it is a process. However I think I made an oops.

No one could be home the last two days due to a family emergency. The pool stayed blue and when I got home last night, I tested the FC and the CYA. The cya wasn't reading anything above 20. So I added 48 oz of that (that I should have put in a sock, I didn't. I forgot. [emoji24]). The FC was at 2ppm. So I added three bottles of bleach last night. Woke up this morning to test and I am at 1.5ppm.

I feel like something is wrong here. Mom bought bleach from Aldi. It IS a different brand bleach than we have been using as we got it from Walmart all the previous times. She got this one from Aldi and it is "Tandil 7.85% available chlorine"

Anyone have any issues with that brand? Did I just make a Nono? Lol I'm at work right now, so trying to get my sister to do the full set of tests. If she can't then I'll do it this evening when I get off.

I lost a bit hope yesterday. Feeling like we may be Better off draining and refilling. Gonna keep on. Thanks guys for your continued support.
5aa5a8c54ebf5d0a09a5e554e8ec2623.jpg

I've dealt with something sorta similar to what you're going thru although i didn't have a swamp to begin with. My CYA turned to ammonia over the winter and my FC was being eaten at an extremely high rate. I went thru 50+ gallons of bleach before I was able to eradicate my water of the ammonia. The key is to maintain the shock level your pool requires. With you having missed a few days you've let the enemy replenish their supplies. LOL ...I used a solar blanket for my SLAM to eliminate the sunlight from depleting my FC so that it could fully fight the water (that was rather hard on the life of my blanket but it was 3 years old anyway).
It's been 3-4 years since I went thru that but if memory serves me right it took me darn near a week of SLAMMING till I won. Keep at it!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.