How much wattage per hr does a Hayward Super 2 pump use?

In terms of performance it doesn't matter if you install it below or above the water line. The net elevation change is always zero because the pump needs to return the water to the same level from which it got it so net static head is zero. However, when the pump is below the water line, you need extra valves to prevent draining the pool which creates more head loss.

mas985 said:
In terms of performance it doesn't matter if you install it below or above the water line. The net elevation change is always zero because the pump needs to return the water to the same level from which it got it so net static head is zero. However, when the pump is below the water line, you need extra valves to prevent draining the pool which creates more head loss.

huh wow now you got me stumped! I thought the extra weight of the water would help aid flow rate and I could turn down the rpm. I mean I got a pool way below and under. right now the filter psi is 35 and thought maybe an ecostar running a lower rpm would decrease the filter pressure.

Filter pressure varies with pump speed and with the height of the filter relative to the water level in the pool. Filters below water level have a higher pressure than filters above water level.

The weight of the water helps water going down, and hurts water going up. Those two cancel out because the pump/filter is a closed system and the water always travels the same distance up as down.

JasonLion said:
Filter pressure varies with pump speed and with the height of the filter relative to the water level in the pool. Filters below water level have a higher pressure than filters above water level.

The weight of the water helps water going down, and hurts water going up. Those two cancel out because the pump/filter is a closed system and the water always travels the same distance up as down.

Ah thanks Jason for explaining. That make sense. But I think we can still keep prime and keep flow rater at lower rpm so swg's and heat pumps work. that was my thinking.

however most people now I am recommending dual speed pumps as they can pay themselves off in 1 - 1.5 yrs.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.