How long until pump fails? No right answer to neighbor's noisy pump?

Dec 16, 2013
Sacramento, CA
Long story short, my neighbor has an extremely noisy pump, looks like a nice Pentair variable speed version. Very loud and high pitched wine that is always heard when the pump runs. It is driving me nuts! It is in Sacramento's colder season (lows in the 30s, highs in the 50s), but IIRC I could still hear it this summer and fall, but maybe not 100% of the time.

Complicated back story is that the owner's husband passed away this summer. Was a 40 something year old police officer, awesome guy and just horrible for their family. With his passing I know the Mom is now doing all she can to keep things in order and the last thing on her mind is a noisy pump. I'm also assuming she doesn't have $1k to drop on a new (similar model) pump or the labor for someone to install it.

I already mow their lawn and take out the trash for them so I'm not a jerk just complaining about the pump! I figure optimal scenario is for it to fail and then I can offer help to replace it (I installed my own Pentair VS pump).

My question is how long can a pump run like this before it fails? I assume has been making the noise for about 6 months now. Can it go for another year or more? I also thought I could build a little box (with proper airflow) and put some sound proof foam inside that would help... then nicely ask to put it on top of the pump?!

If it's a VS pump, is there a chance you might be able to find a speed that makes it a bit quieter? Another possibility is that the baskets are full of debris and the pump is pulling too hard. Another approach might be to offer to optimize the pump run time to help out her electric bill. Maybe she'd appreciate some TFP TLC on the pump. Just a few thoughts; certainly a difficult situation.

If it's a VS pump, is there a chance you might be able to find a speed that makes it a bit quieter? Another possibility is that the baskets are full of debris and the pump is pulling too hard. Another approach might be to offer to optimize the pump run time to help out her electric bill. Maybe she'd appreciate some TFP TLC on the pump. Just a few thoughts; certainly a difficult situation.

Great input, so the pump pulling too hard could be causing the noise? All of the pool maintenance has gone down the drain (pun intended)... and I would bet both the skimmer basket and pump filter basket are both loaded with leaves. Pool has been mostly green until they dump in some power shock bags every now and then.

Also, to your speed point, they don't run solar so probably can afford a slightly lower speed. They do have a Polaris cleaner that may or may not run on a aux pump, would need to look.

I think she would be open to me just looking at it in the spirit of offering to do some TLC... maybe spend a couple of hours and clean the cartridge filter too... and then would need to decide if I offer to solve the water chemistry... and the list goes on. Soon will be managing two pools! :)

I don't know, I just hate "interjecting myself" into other peoples problems if they don't want it. Always hard to tell if they really appreciate it or just are saying it because how can they turn down free work.

If the lady has a child or children, of the right age, it might make sense for you to teach them how to take care of the pool. It would be good for them as well as you.

I like smforte's approach.. who could say no..

Jim R.

I feel for you and think you are doing a awesome thing in helping out as much as you already do.

All of the above ideas will work. I would REALLY work on the kids to get them to learn how to care for the pool. I am willing to be they will want to swim in it this summer so..........they need to learn how to care for it. Win-win for all!

Good luck!

Kim:kim:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.