How do I choose valve size to order?

allyall

Mar 11, 2020
Florida
I need to replace these jandy multi valves, they have air leaks. I read that I can buy a neverlube valve and replace the innards/ put on a cap. But How do I determine the size to order?

Attachments

• 20200429_170943.jpg
    20200429_170943.jpg
    549.1 KB · Views: 29
You can just buy rebuild kits for those valves. They're a lot cheaper than complete valves, unless you get a really good deal.

Some of those pipe fittings should have the size stamped on the end of them. However, those gray valves come in 1½"-2" and 2"-2½". I'm pretty sure those are the 1½"-2" and the piping is 2". You can put the Neverlube diverters in those gray valves, and plug the grease fitting hole with a 1/8" plug.

+1 on just rebuilding them. Not to mention cheaper for your setup you are looking at a lot of plumbing to be cut out and replaced. BTW: Those are not "multi valves" they are just 2 way valves.

Reactions: allyall
Thanks y'all. I found a piece of cut off pipe from when the sand filter was installed and it's diameter was 2 3/8 in, which means I have 2" PVC I think.

I replaced the grease caps 6 months ago. Is a plug different?

Anybody have a good video for showing the replacement process? I believe we can do it, but seeing a video might boost my confidence.

The air leak is out the top. I can hear it.

I know from experience there are different Jandy valves, one is called Short or compact.. I bought o-rings years ago and got the wrong ones. I don't have them anymore but seems like it had a number on the top cover.
Are you hoping to buy a new valve and just swap out the cap and other parts?

Thanks y'all. I found a piece of cut off pipe from when the sand filter was installed and it's diameter was 2 3/8 in, which means I have 2" PVC I think.

I replaced the grease caps 6 months ago. Is a plug different?

Anybody have a good video for showing the replacement process? I believe we can do it, but seeing a video might boost my confidence.

The air leak is out the top. I can hear it.

Rebuild or replace? Rebuild is easy just open it up and replace the insides and orings (don't forget silicone grease). For replacement, it is plumbing and should be done by someone with plumbing experience.

There are plenty of videos out there about rebuilding those valves. Just search for "Rebuilding Jandy Valve" and you'll find plenty.

If it's just leaking around the stem, I think I'd try to take the top off and lube the o-ring with plenty of pool lube to start with. If that doesn't work you can just replace the o-ring.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Sorry for the inaccurate vocabulary. Hoping to rebuild. I read on the forums that I didn't need to completely replace them, which would be a big mess but just replace the innards.

Start with the below basic kit which is the basic orings. Should be fine for you. Note that the valve handle has TWO orings on it so be sure to replace them BOTH!

NEVER take apart an old valve without new orings standing by as frequently once apart, the old orings are not reusable!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.