Homemade Acid OR Chlorine Injection System

The liquidator relies upon float valves for regulation of incoming and outgoing flow streams so extra parts would be required but it might be possible.

However, if you are only looking to dilute the chlorine, that can still be done with this method. You would just need a larger tank so that you don't have to fill it so often.

Finally got mine dialed in. With 14 drippers, 5 gallons of 12.5% chlorine lasts me 2 Weeks with a pump run time of 6 hrs/day. This keeps my FC level around 5 ppm..

Just have to make sure to close the valve when using a suction side cleaner or it will pull all the chlorine into the pool due to the increased suction, had this happen twice!
Great low cost solution, thanks mas985!
6cc91c84-4989-d69d.jpg

I am glad you were able to get it to work. There are some compromises one must make to get this to work and I had the same problem with the suction cleaner but since I use it most of the time, I decided to calibrate with the cleaner. I also get a reduction in flow when solar engages.

hello,

I live in Portugal (Europe) and this week will be installing my first 6600gal oval pool. I want to implement the BBB method.
I have read this tread various times and want to build my own liquidator but I have some questions:
1: Why must I use drip irrigation drippers?
2: My pump does not have a drain plug so can I plug the inlet off the system on the suction side of the main bottom drain off the pool?
3: Why not use the schema of HASA liquidator whit a flow meter so we will have: the chlorine bucket - flow adjustment valve - flow meter - check valve ?

I was thinking off buying the pieces from ebay
flow meter: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Pentair-Rainb ... 5895721bdd
adjustment/shut off valve: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/5-pcs-1-2-Sto ... 43a44780e2
check valve: http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_from= ... heck+valve

What about the white gunk? I am going to use 12% chlorine.

Thanks,
JJ

1. You don't have to use the drip buttons. Some people are using needle valves which work too. You just need to get a plastic one.

2. Yes, if you can plumb in a way to connect the hose, it doesn't matter much how you inject but again, I would recommend plastic fittings so they don't corrode.

3. You could do all that but you might as well buy a liquidator. It would probably be cheaper. The reason for choosing the method I did was because it was simple, few parts and very very inexpensive.

Your daily does will probably be between 0.5 and 2 ppm. So that is 1-4 oz of 6% bleach per 1000 gallons of water.

To adjust the flow, the control needs to be very precise which is why a needle valve or the drip buttons are required. Both have enough adjustment for the application. There may be other valves that can do the same but from my experience, there are few choices.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
jsengxx said:
Where can I get a good needle valve from ebay? I´am from Europe so it must be shipped to here:(

maybe look for a stenner pump equivalent? I just did a random search, here is the first site that came up

http://www.brookforge.co.uk/product-ad2 ... tenner.htm

They have stenner pumps for 315, plus a 15 gallon container and cheap timer, it should be maybe 360 to get it installed

Just wanted to add that instead of a 5 gallon bucket, I have been using a 30 gallon plastic drum that is specifically used for caustic materials. I have it partially buried. A good place to find these drums is at a car wash. The one I got had the tire cleaning solution in it and the owner was happy to get rid of it because they can't send them back for credit.

Just want to give Mike a big THANKS for this thread. My diy chlorine system has been working flawlessly for more than a month. I fill my 5 gallon Home Depot bucket to 4 gallons and it goes for 12-14 days before it hits 1 gallon and I refill. FC stays between 3 and 5 all day, every day. Best $40 worth of parts I've spent on my pool.

I stumbled on this thread a few days ago and found just what I needed. Thanks everyone for posting.

I put mine together today. It is sucking diluted acid which is what I want.. I didn't use drippers. Instead I used a Flow Control Needle Pinch Valve. http://www.usplastic.com/catalog/item.a ... d=redirect It seems to work pretty well. I also used a 5 gal bucket with a lid, a check valve and a shut off valve, but pretty much that is all she wrote. I will post another day with my results and perhaps some pics if anyone is interested.

Mine's still working with Clorox. Let us know how that pinch valve works; the $10 US Plastics needle valve I'm using is still working well on mine. I had an old white Styrofoam cooler laying around, I put it over the 5 gallon bucket so rain doesn't build up on the lid (also serves as sun reflector). I check my Clorox level once a week (could actually go 2 weeks).... it's nice not having to remember checking FC everyday, down to twice a week now.

Update:
The shut off valve I put in line just for grins was a bad idea. It was nylon and not PVC.. it melted away in about two weeks. I just left it out of the system since it was not needed.

My PH is staying pretty steady right where I want it. The pinch valve works great once you get the setting right.

Thanks for all that contributed.

PS. I tried to post a picture but no joy. Couldn't figure out how.

Sorry to bring back a old thread. I just wanted to say THANKS TO ALL and this is a Great thread.
I plan to bring home a 15 gallon drum next week. (Free from work) Then get the rest of the stuff and set up chlorine system.

How are your systems holding up for everyone who has been used for awhile?

Update: ditto on my shut off valve, replaced it with PVC version, seldom touch it. For control I've been using thispinch valve and is working. But it is very sensitive to temperature (Texas heat) when the tubing gets softer. I check chlorine tank level every other day just to make sure it's going down at least 24 oz., and tweak accordingly. I'm wondering if the Hayward NVA1025T is worth the $50. More joints = more problems in my book.

Mine has been doing very well and keeping my PH right around the 7.3-7.4 range. I also found some great 5gal water jugs at Winco of all places. They were inexpensive and have a screw cap. They call them camping water totes, or some such. I am going to make one for my sister in-law now. She has a smaller pool so the pinch off will be tighter. I am hoping I can keep regulation with that low of flow.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.