Help with Hayward Equipment on New Pool Build

Long story short, I am on my third try with the equipment pad. The first time, the PB put in somewhere I did not want it, despite being told I didn't want it there. They were able to move the pad to my desired location and I thought the issue was settled. Last week, the plumber came to set the equipment on the pad and was unable to do so because the pad is too small. The pad is currently 4x8 and the PB told me it was supposed to be larger from the beginning since I have two heaters.

Now they want to re-do the pad and make it 14x4, which I think is really large and not at all what I envisioned when planning the landscaping and the ability to hide/camouflage the equipment. Does the pad have to be this long? Can we take the same square footage and spread it out so it's not so long? This process has been frustrating to say the least with a lot of non/miscommunication and long periods of no work being done. We went from thinking the pool would be finished in July to hoping we can get a couple of days of swimming in September.

you can make it any size you want.. if the equipment is there move it around to where it fits and figure out where YOU want YOUR equipment.. YOU are paying for it and can have anything YOU want...

Tell them exactly where and how big you want the pad... it can be 8x8, 6x10, any size you want just make it big enough to fit the equipment... :)

the conversation should go like this..

You: I want the pad to be 6x10 from here to here..

PB: I think it should be blah, blah, blah, blah..

You: Thanks for that, so the pad will be 6x10 from here to here.. do you understand?

:)

Reactions: Jmerges
My pad is 14x4 and I have 5 pumps, 1 heat pump, 1 gas heater, and 1 large cartridge filter. Its cramped, very cramped really. I wish I had made it 18x6. If you plan on maintaining your equipment yourself, give yourself plenty of room to work. Make sure you not stepping over any pipes to get to your cartridge filter. I have to and its a pain getting the lid off and the filters out to clean. Also make sure you can get to your automation and electrical panels and not have to crawl over your pumps like I do to get to them. Make sure all your drain plugs for your pumps, filters, and heaters are accessible so winterizing or draining is not difficult during an ice storm.

Leave enough room between equipment to move around, have places to put your feet around the pipes, and be able to remove and replace equipment when necessary. A too large an equipment pad is better then one too small.

Don’t focus on a size. Focus on the equipment layout.

I have a 4' x 20' pad. It holds all my equipment with plenty of elbow room. It's nice to have extra space for future growth, a deck box, a spot to park the robot, grill, etc.. I think an oversized pad is a great thing if if fits with your overall plan.

Reactions: Jgc88
They poured the new pad and it’s crooked. By that I mean it is not perpendicular to the pool and house and comes out at an angle. I know this may not make sense but the best I way I can explain it is that it runs along side of our rectangular pool and is not perpendicular to that side. To me it seems like lack of attention to detail and poor workmanship. My OCD is having a hard time dealing with it. Is this a big deal or should I let it go?

• Wow
Reactions: BigPapaSmurf
They poured the new pad and it’s crooked. By that I mean it is not perpendicular to the pool and house and comes out at an angle. I know this may not make sense but the best I way I can explain it is that it runs along side of our rectangular pool and is not perpendicular to that side. To me it seems like lack of attention to detail and poor workmanship. My OCD is having a hard time dealing with it. Is this a big deal or should I let it go?
Wow Lehigh Valley! I use to live in Allentown... pretty impressive pool for up there. Is the pad going to be screened by a fence? If so I would move on. If you are constantly looking at it.. make them fix it. It's a couple hundred dollars of concrete in a very expensive construction project... if it really noticeable and won't be screened why would you want to keep looking at it?

Wow Lehigh Valley! I use to live in Allentown... pretty impressive pool for up there. Is the pad going to be screened by a fence? If so I would move on. If you are constantly looking at it.. make them fix it. It's a couple hundred dollars of concrete in a very expensive construction project... if it really noticeable and won't be screened why would you want to keep looking at it?
It is going to be obscured by a boulder wall and landscaping so it's not something i will be looking at all the time. I couldn't help myself and asked the builder if they there was a reason it was installed on an angle rather than parallel with the pool. He said he will look at it. To me, it's just poor attention to detail and that is something I can't tolerate.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
My builder said all I needed was a 4 x 8 pad. I don't know what equip would be there. Guess the pump/filter, heat pump, blower for the spa. After reading the size of some of your pads, 4 x 8 seems small. I hope it's adequate.

I would not personally want the trichlor thing before my SWCG. The acidic stew coming out of it can do damage to the SWCG.

As long as you run the pump 24/7 anytime there is trichlor in it, you will be OK --

It is the container for chlorine pucks, if you use them. Or leave it empty and it gives you the option of using but I suspect a floating dispenser is just as easy and they can give you a refund for that thing.

Maddie :flower:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.