Help with Hayward Equipment on New Pool Build

mummer43

Jul 31, 2016
Lehigh Valley, PA
We are in the process of building a new pool and I have some questions about the pump, filter, sanitation , cleaning and automation system our builder spec'd in the contract.

For the pump he spec'd a Hayward TriStar variable speed 900 2hp pump. We can upgrade to the 950 3hp pump. Is it worth it to upgrade? We want to be as energy efficient as possible so we might consider it worth paying for the upgrade if we will see a return on the investment over time.

He spec'd a Hayward C4030 425sqft cartridge filter. We can upgrade to a C7030 725sqft filter. Is it worth it to do so?

For sanitation he spec'd a Hayward CLS2002S In-Line Erosion Chlorinator and a Hayward Aqua Rite – Expert Line AQR940 Salt System with Extended Life Turbo Cell. Any feedback on these and does Hayward offer anything better?

We want full automation. He spec'd a Hayward Omni PL Smart Pool & Spa Control, What is the difference between this and the Omni Logic system? Which one is better?

For cleaning he spec'd a Hayward Tri-Vac 700 Series Pressure Side Cleaner with Hayward 6060 Booster Pump. We can upgrade to a Hayward Aqua- Vac 650 Robotic Pool Cleaner with Cart. Which one is better? We want the best robot we can get.

How many gallons will be in your pool?

How many skimmers and returns?

Any water features?

Spa?

Your do not need or want an erosion system with a SWG. If you have a problem and need to use tablets you can chuck them in a skimmer basket if you run 24/7 pump.

Unless you have a HUGE pool, 2 hp pump should be fine. I have a 25K gallon pool and the 425 sq foot cartridge is just fine. We need to look at the SWG and see what its rating vs. the pool size. A 2 to 1 ratio is recommended.

We are in the process of building a new pool and I have some questions about the pump, filter, sanitation , cleaning and automation system our builder spec'd in the contract.

20x40 pool is about 30,000 gallons.

For the pump he spec'd a Hayward TriStar variable speed 900 2hp pump. We can upgrade to the 950 3hp pump. Is it worth it to upgrade? We want to be as energy efficient as possible so we might consider it worth paying for the upgrade if we will see a return on the investment over time.

With the pool, spa, and bubblers I would get the Tristar 950 pump. Especially if you will have a single pump for your filter/heater and spa jets.

He spec'd a Hayward C4030 425sqft cartridge filter. We can upgrade to a C7030 725sqft filter. Is it worth it to do so?

The 425 will be fine for your short pool season.

For sanitation he spec'd a Hayward CLS2002S In-Line Erosion Chlorinator and a Hayward Aqua Rite – Expert Line AQR940 Salt System with Extended Life Turbo Cell. Any feedback on these and does Hayward offer anything better?

Delete the CLS2002S In-Line Erosion Chlorinator. If you ever want to use pucks in your pool use a floater.

AQR940 is fine for your 30K pool.

We want full automation. He spec'd a Hayward Omni PL Smart Pool & Spa Control, What is the difference between this and the Omni Logic system? Which one is better?

Onmi PL is fine for you. It is the newer system with a better user interface.

For cleaning he spec'd a Hayward Tri-Vac 700 Series Pressure Side Cleaner with Hayward 6060 Booster Pump. We can upgrade to a Hayward Aqua- Vac 650 Robotic Pool Cleaner with Cart. Which one is better? We want the best robot we can get.

The Tri-Vac is not a robot cleaner. The Aqua-Vac is ok. You can do better buying a Dolphin robot pool cleaner direct from Margaret Mills at Marina Pool, Spa, and Patio in Lakewood, CO.

With the pool, spa, and bubblers I would get the Tristar 950 pump. Especially if you will have a single pump for your filter/heater and spa jets.
Do you have any idea how much of a price jump there is between the two?
The 425 will be fine for your short pool season.

Delete the CLS2002S In-Line Erosion Chlorinator. If you ever want to use pucks in your pool use a floater.

AQR940 is fine for your 30K pool.

Onmi PL is fine for you. It is the newer system with a better user interface.

The Tri-Vac is not a robot cleaner. The Aqua-Vac is ok. You can do better buying a Dolphin robot pool cleaner direct from Margaret Mills at Marina Pool, Spa, and Patio in Lakewood, CO.
Why would I ever want to use chlorine pucks? So the Omni Pro Logic is a good system? We only want to control the pool functions and that is all we will ever want to do. We control landscape lighting, music, etc. with other apps. I have been researching robots and it seems like the Dolphin M600 is a very good one. Definitely better than the Hayward AquaVac.

I should add that this pool will have an auto cover if that means anything for which equipment we choose.

On the pump. Since you have a SWG and a Variable Speed pump, the best way to use it is to run it low speed all day long. Enough to make the SWG flow switch consistently activate. This is very electricity efficient and allows you to run the SWG at the lowest setting.

I have a 25,000 gallon pool and the 1.85 hp Tristar is fine. For 30K it should be fine. If the price isn't much different, you can go with the bigger pump, but it just uses more energy at max power. Retail price difference is about $250 between the two pumps. Not sure how much your pool installer will charge you.

On the savings versus a single speed pump, here is an example: before my SWG, I used to run my Tristar VS pump at 900 RPM which was about 22 GPM and 50 Watts. I ran this 24/7 except about 4 hours a day at 2400 RPM to skim the pool, 60 GPM @ 525 Watts. I now run 1050, about 25 GPM at 63 Watts. My old pump was 1 hp, 1776 Watts and it ran 16 hours per day. @10 cents/kWh, I save close to $900/yr! My pump cost $750!!!

If you are open 4 months a year, you'll save about 1325 kWh. @13 cents/kWh (average in your area), this will save you a bit under $175/year vs a 1 HP or about $250/year vs a 2 HP pump. The difference between the 900 and the 950 is about $5 per season.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
To be clear, the 950 uses more energy than the 900, but not much.

The 950 will use less energy at a given flow rate then the 900. A larger VS pump turning at lower RPMs to give a desired flow then a smaller VS pump.

VS pumps are about energy efficiency at low RPMs and not energy usage at max RPM which you will rarely run it at.

Plan to use skimmer socks to catch the dog hair.

The 950 will use less energy at a given flow rate then the 900. A larger VS pump turning at lower RPMs to give a desired flow then a smaller VS pump.

VS pumps are about energy efficiency at low RPMs and not energy usage at max RPM which you will rarely run it at.
Not according to Hayward. Use their calculator page / pump curves.

I'm looking for the pump that will save me the most money in the long run. If the 950 is a modest price increase should I go for it?

When you target a flow rate the 950 is more efficient then the 900.

For 40 GPM flow rate...

900 - 1,650 rpm - 202 watts
950 - 1,400 rpm - 178 watts

The larger VS pump can run at a lower RPM to give a flow rate. The 950 uses 10% less electrical for the same flow rate.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.