Help me understand two components of the system

Dilbydog

Silver Supporter
Jan 14, 2018
Las Vegas, NV
As a new pool owner, I cannot thank everyone enough for the help and knowledge I've picked up from this forum. I have two questions regarding the plumbing at my equipment area. In the attached photo there is an actuated valve that sits on the supply side of the pump. On the left (facing the pump) of the actuated valve is the pool skimmer and main drain. On the right is another unidentified pipe, that is closed. What is this, and why is it normally closed?

Second question, in the same photo, there is a capped PVC riser with a fish mouth cut near the top of the pipe. It has the appearance of a snorkel, and is well above all the other plumbing. What is the function of this riser?

Thank you,

Dill

View attachment 72194

Dill,

You have two actuator controlled valves that should allow you to switch between the Pool mode and the Spa mode.

The valve directly in front of the pump is called the "Intake" valve and I would have to assume that the pipe on the far bottom right of your pic is connected to the Spa drain and the two pipes just to the left are for the Skimmer and Main Drain or maybe Skimmer #1 and Skimmer # 2...

On the other side right after the SWCG is the "Return" valve which selects between the Spa and the Pool.

If you are in the Pool mode and switch to the Spa mode, both of these valves should rotate 180 degrees. When you go back to the Pool mode, the valves should both rotate back to their original positions.

These valves can get out of sync, so it is important to know how they operate...

Pool Mode... The pump sucks water from the Pool, through the filter and SWCG, and then back to the returns in the Pool walls.

Spa Mode... The pump sucks water from the Spa, through the filter and SWCG, and then back to the returns in the Spa walls. (no spill over)

Spillover Mode... The pump sucks water from the Pool, through the filter and SWCG, and then back to the returns in the Spa, causing the water to over flow into the pool. Note that some spillover spas have a bypass valve that cause the Spa to Spillover all the time. This is really left over from the days before automation but still installed by some pool builders.

Thanks for posting,

Jim R.

- - - Updated - - -

I think the snorkel is an air vent for your spa jets...

Dill,

You have two actuator controlled valves that should allow you to switch between the Pool mode and the Spa mode.

The valve directly in front of the pump is called the "Intake" valve and I would have to assume that the pipe on the far bottom right of your pic is connected to the Spa drain and the two pipes just to the left are for the Skimmer and Main Drain or maybe Skimmer #1 and Skimmer # 2...

On the other side right after the SWCG is the "Return" valve which selects between the Spa and the Pool.

If you are in the Pool mode and switch to the Spa mode, both of these valves should rotate 180 degrees. When you go back to the Pool mode, the valves should both rotate back to their original positions.

These valves can get out of sync, so it is important to know how they operate...

Pool Mode... The pump sucks water from the Pool, through the filter and SWCG, and then back to the returns in the Pool walls.

Spa Mode... The pump sucks water from the Spa, through the filter and SWCG, and then back to the returns in the Spa walls. (no spill over)

Spillover Mode... The pump sucks water from the Pool, through the filter and SWCG, and then back to the returns in the Spa, causing the water to over flow into the pool. Note that some spillover spas have a bypass valve that cause the Spa to Spillover all the time. This is really left over from the days before automation but still installed by some pool builders.

Thanks for posting,

Jim R.

- - - Updated - - -

I think the snorkel is an air vent for your spa jets...

Jim,
Thank you for the information. This leads to another question. On my wireless controller for the Aqua Logic, there is a SPA and POOL valve button. When I select the spa button (with the pump running) the actuator rotates 180 degrees and the spa level starts to quickly fall, without any return water. Is there something wrong with my automation?

Thank you,
Dill

Dill,

Yes, something is wrong..

Tell me if both valves moved 180 degrees when you went into the Spa mode???

Sounds to me like the Intake valve moved and is now sucking water from the Spa, but the Return valve did not move and is not returning water to the Spa.

If the Return valve moves, then more than likely it is 180 degrees out of sync.

Each valve actuator has a small three position switch.. on1 - off - on2. First make sure the switch is not in the middle off position.. If the valve is in the wrong position move the switch from one side to the other. For example.. if the switch is in the on1 position move it to the on2 position, or visa versa...

If the valve does not move in both directions when you switch back and forth between the two "on" positions, then most likely the actuator is bad.

Please let us know what you find..

Thanks,

Jim R.

Jim,
The return valve actuator does work when I manually toggle the switch. However, the return valve does not change position when I toggle between the Pool and Spa valve on the controller, only the intake valve has movement. I’ve attached a photo of my controller. The upper valve selector is what I’m using to exercise intake valve at the moment.

Thanks again for for entertaining my dumb questions.

View attachment 72196

Dill

Update: I’m sorry, I re-read your post. Yes, the return actuator switch is in the center position, which I assume is the “off” position you referenced.

Dill,

Not at all dumb questions!!!

So, that means that the valve actuators are working but that the automation is for some reason not move the Return valve.

I am not too familiar with your automation, but if this were my system (and just to make sure...) I'd open up the main panel and find the little three pin connector connectors that are marked "Intake" and "Return" I would temporarily swap the two connectors. (Don't leave it this way..) But, after swapping them, try the spa button again. If the Return valve starts moving you will know that the Return actuator is good and the problem is with the Main Board in your Automation.. If the Return valve still does not move, but the Intake valve does move, you will know the Return actuator is bad, and the Main board is ok..

Try that tomorrow and let me know the results of you test..

Thanks,

Jim R.

The center position is Off. Change so that the valve rotates to the same as the suction.

Both valves should rotate when you push Pool or Spa.

I think that this got changed when we were diagnosing the high pressure in your other thread.

This got changed when we were diagnosing the high pressure in the other thread.

I wanted to stop the valve between positions such that both lines were open to see what the pressure did.

The switch should have been moved back to regular position after doing the test.

This got changed when we were diagnosing the high pressure in the other thread.

I wanted to stop the valve between positions such that both lines were open to see what the pressure did.

The switch should have been moved back to regular position after doing the test.

Yep, that was it, my screw up. Both valves moving appropriately now.

James,
Recived the rebuild kit for the caretaker, going to put it all together tomorrow and I’ll update the other thread. Thanks for the help!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.