Trying to understand what kind of plumbing setup my pool has

WaddleDuck

Jun 10, 2023
Ontario Canada
Hey everyone,

I recently bought a new home that has an older pool and am trying to figure out how the plumbing is setup so I can open and close the pool safely. The attached photo is of the skimmer underneath the basket. there are two pipes, one to the pump and filter, the other seems to be to the main drain at the bottom of the pool. When the skimmer basket is full of debris the main drain seems to be used to pull water through the system as i see a build up of leaves and debris suctioned onto the main drain's cover. At the pool pad there is only one pipe connected to the pump coming from the pool, there is no valve or shutoff to change where the pump pulls water from.

The questions I have are:
How to winterize this pipe properly, can it be blown out?
Is it ok to use pool anti-freeze to protect the pipe if i can't blow it out?
How does it pull water to the pump if the basket is full of debris preventing water flow?

Thanks in advance for the help, let me know if any additional pictures are needed.

Attachments

• 61G3w-Gqa1L._AC_SL1010_.jpg
    61G3w-Gqa1L._AC_SL1010_.jpg
    156.8 KB · Views: 4
Ducky,

I live in Texas, so I can't be of any help with closing, but your main drain is not going to work unless there is a floating diverter under your skimmer basket.

Let's see if @1poolman1 can help you with closing info.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Hey everyone,

I recently bought a new home that has an older pool and am trying to figure out how the plumbing is setup so I can open and close the pool safely. The attached photo is of the skimmer underneath the basket. there are two pipes, one to the pump and filter, the other seems to be to the main drain at the bottom of the pool. When the skimmer basket is full of debris the main drain seems to be used to pull water through the system as i see a build up of leaves and debris suctioned onto the main drain's cover. At the pool pad there is only one pipe connected to the pump coming from the pool, there is no valve or shutoff to change where the pump pulls water from.

The questions I have are:
How to winterize this pipe properly, can it be blown out?
Is it ok to use pool anti-freeze to protect the pipe if i can't blow it out?
How does it pull water to the pump if the basket is full of debris preventing water flow?

Thanks in advance for the help, let me know if any additional pictures are needed.
Not familiar with that particular skimmer, but it looks like that flap would be used to cover the port leading to the main drain and then a vacuum plate would be used in the skimmer. That would allow the skimmer basket to stay in place to catch larger debris. Here is a picture of one for one of the many Hayward skimmers:
shopping

If the basket gets full there is "suction" below it at the line going to the pad. Since the basket won't allow water through it will be lifted from the bottom under the skimmer basket an into the suction line. Usually there is a "float valve" in a skimmer like that and a wat to adjust flow between the skimmer and main drain on the bottom of the valve.. The clogged basket acts as a substitute for that valve. A picture shows how they work (just substitute the equalizer line through the wall for main drain line):
skimmer_5_2nd.gif

You would need to put a winterizing plug in the main drain hole that has a Schrader valve like a car tire. After it's tight you'd use a compressor to blow that line out and call it done.
Amazon.com
Thanks Wire.

wouldn't it just fill back up once the compressor is turned off? or would the pressure keep the pipe empty of water?

Could I plug the pipe to the pump and just use pool antifreeze to fill the entire pipe?

Not familiar with that particular skimmer, but it looks like that flap would be used to cover the port leading to the main drain and then a vacuum plate would be used in the skimmer. That would allow the skimmer basket to stay in place to catch larger debris. Here is a picture of one for one of the many Hayward skimmers:
shopping

If the basket gets full there is "suction" below it at the line going to the pad. Since the basket won't allow water through it will be lifted from the bottom under the skimmer basket an into the suction line. Usually there is a "float valve" in a skimmer like that and a wat to adjust flow between the skimmer and main drain on the bottom of the valve.. The clogged basket acts as a substitute for that valve. A picture shows how they work (just substitute the equalizer line through the wall for main drain line):
skimmer_5_2nd.gif
usually when i see debris being sucked to the main drain the basket is suctioned into place and takes a little muscle to pull up to be emptied.

Thanks Wire.

wouldn't it just fill back up once the compressor is turned off? or would the pressure keep the pipe empty of water?

Could I plug the pipe to the pump and just use pool antifreeze to fill the entire pipe?
The main drain line is air locked once you you get bubbles out of the main drain for a few minutes. The skimmer line would need to be blown out after the water is dropped below skimmer level. Once it's barely misting you'd stop the blower, put antifreeze for extra insurance and use either a gizzmo or a regular winterization plug.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.