How do I modify this plumbing for spillover mode?

MHillyer

Jan 19, 2023
Atlanta
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Hayward Turbo Cell (T-CELL-5)
IMG_0825.jpeg

I’m this setup the leftmost pipe under the tee goes to the spa, the valve to the right chooses pool vs spa mode, the manual valve balances pool jets to the rest, the actuated valve goes to the bubblers on the tanning ledge, then the check valve sends water to the spa for spillover.

I have a SWG and constant ph creep, and a lot of evaporation when I use the heater to extend my season.

I want to change this to allow for controllable spillover, I can do PVC plumbing but I don’t know what the best layout would be and what changes I need to make to my Omni.

Bonus: the far right pump defaults to sending to the waterfall (right), slide (left) is optional, but we want the slide more than the waterfall because the waterfall is TN limestone and leaves a lot of scale. How would I reprogram that?

M,

To shut off the constant spillover you can just replace the check valve guts with the guts from a 2-way valve and just shut it off.

Then you'd need to use your automation's spillway mode to schedule the spa to spillover using just the Intake and Return valves.

On the waterfall valve.. Just move the little switch on the actuator from the current "ON" position to the other "ON". Then the valve will work backwards.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Good info Jim! I’ll look for a matching 2-way valve.

For the waterfall, I’d rather not have to invert the controls in my head (and it would drive my wife nuts), is there a way to reprogram the Omni PL to do it?

I am not a Omni guy, but I suspect there is..

In most systems you name the circuit you want to turn on or off.. In your case it is now "Waterfall". All you would need to do is rename the circuit "Slide" and move the switch on the actuator. The automation is just moving the valve, it has no idea what the valve is actually doing.

Unfortunately, I have no idea how to do that on your automation, but I suspect it is easy.

Let's see of one of our other members has any directions for you.

Thanks,

Jim R.

In lieu of getting guts to replace the check valve, couldn't the op remove the cva that goes between spillway and bubblers, close that three way towards the check valve and move the cva to the three way to the right of the pool/spa cva to switch between pool returns and bubbler?

So status update: I did replace the guts of the check valve with a two-way valve. Challenge was the valve body expected a valve with a simple on the bottom, but a drill fixed that. I had a moment deciding which way to close the valve since pressure can come from both sides, but since the spa side has a larger diameter pipe, I figured it would shunt more pressure than the pool side, so the valve gate is closed toward the spa side, so that pressure in pool mode pushes on it, and it has to hold against pressure from the spa side. I use the spa less often than the pool anyway.

Turned on the spillover mode in the panel, everything is working fine. My pH is creeping up more slowly than before, and I'm losing less to evaporation. I added a half-hour a day of spillover to my schedule just to ensure that the spa skims off once per day and that the spa water (somewhat) gets cycled out and filtered. I suspect the water at the bottom of the spa will only really filter if the spa mode is turned on, I'll see about that later.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.