Help in Vegas - Spa? Pool? Spool?

The three main ways to add FC (free chlorine) to your pool. Listed from best to worst:
-SWG-SO easy. Add salt to your pool and let the SWG make FC out of the salt
-Liquid chlorine-Add each day during the warm/hot months. Easy to do but is something that you much do each day or you risk the green monster aka algae
-Pucks/Tablets-put in a in-line tube or a floater. These are very common and easy UNTIL the *bad stuff* builds up and you have to drain the pool to remove it. Every puck has stuff added to them to make them hold the chlorine. Most have CYA (Cyanuric Acid ) which is needed in a pool as it is like sun screen for the FC BUT the only way to remove CYA is to remove and replace some water. Here is a chart about the CYA/FC relationship: Trouble Free Pool As you can see the more CYA you have the more FC you need. After time there is just no way to keep ahead of the FC demand. Now pucks are okay to use so long as you are aware of their effects. Some liquid chlorine use them for times they will be away from the pool/house for a number of days.

I hope this helps. TFP is here to help pool owners how to care for their pool in the most Trouble Free way. Keep asking questions and learning. It will all start to stick when you start using it.

Kim:kim:

I just now started reading your thread and I’m glad your leaning to a pool/spa combo. You asked about the resale of both type and from personal experience I can say, we did not purchase a home because they had only a in ground spa. Don’t get me wrong, it looked great and was very nicely done, however as a family with kids, this just was not for us. The house remained on/off the market for 2 yrs before they found a buyer. We purchased a home without a pool in the same neighborhood and built our own. Looking forward to swing your build :)

Okay talked to the PB. He said they use IC40 as standard SWG, he hadn't checked when I initially asked and had gone off the small pool size. PB says that salt cell needs to be taken out and acid washed every 6 weeks due to hard water calcium build up and that we will need to replace the cell every 3 years. (I misunderstood him the first time and thought he was saying we would have to acid wash the pool every 6 weeks). Any folks with hard water really need to do that frequent of maintenance? And if IC40 is 8x the size of my pool I assume the life of the cell would be longer than average - sound like a reasonable expectation?

For pump I asked if this was the product: IntelliFlo VSF Pump and he said it looks to be correct and that they use a 3.0 HP variable speed/variable flow pump.

I also asked about doing IntelliPH instead of IntelliChem, he didn't have pricing off hand but his guess was $2,500. (IntelliChem he had quoted us over $3K). At that price I am not sure IntelliPH is worth it - looks like I can find the unit online for $500-600 and I found a thread on here that says DIY install isn't bad. Any reason to reconsider paying the PB to do it? If he was just way off on pricing, any thoughts on where the price including install may start to be more reasonable?

For interior, I think we are considering pebble. PB says they have some "private label" finishes that use WetEdge materials and plaster but is a custom mix. Does this sound like anything to be concerned about?

Thanks again! I think we are pretty close to committing.

PB says that salt cell needs to be taken out and acid washed every 6 weeks due to hard water calcium build up and that we will need to replace the cell every 3 years. (I misunderstood him the first time and thought he was saying we would have to acid wash the pool every 6 weeks).

Your PB does not understand the ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry and about Calcium-Saturation-Index-(CSI). Keep your pool CSI around 0 and little scale will form on your SWG. It may need an acid wash once a year.

I have been running an IC40 cell on a 40K pool for 5 years. Yours should last many years. You may go through some flow switch replacements in that time.

@Dirk installed the IntellipH and has a thread on it. Being Held Hostage By My Pool!!! (aka Intelliph installation)

I have a 6K pool with a IC40. I have NEVER acid washed my SWCG. I have the SAME water as you. Colorado River water. Properly managing your water chemistry is paramount. It is NOT hard to do. You MUST have a proper test kit. Most of us use the TF100 with a Speedstir. Remember that when you start building the pool.

Intelliph is nice. I do not have one. I can manage it without it. You have to add acid twice a week or so. When I leave for a few weeks at a time I use a couple trichlor pucks in a floater to manage the pH.

Off label plaster-who holds the warranty for it? How often have they honored it?
I will try to get info on who the warranty is through but I do know standard plaster is 3 year adhesion warranty and pebble is 10 year. He also said they use a private label quartz because their installer has had too many problems with WetEdge Luna and won’t warranty it. He claims their installer is best in the valley but I’m sure who it is - based on statement above I assume they are the ones who warranty though...

I will leave this up to you. It sounds good. It would be nice to have some proof on their claims being taken care of. I like to trust yet verify when I am having any work done. It has served me well in the past.

Kim:kim:

Thanks again for everyone's advice - we are moving forward and contracting with this PB. When I get some design plans I will try to share.

Question about PH management - I know mknauss says they are nice but can do manually pretty easily. Anyone have thoughts on these prices however and whether or not they seem like a worthwhile add-on. IntelliPH for $1711 or IntelliChem with PH tank/pump only (no chlorine) for $2842.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.