HELP i'm in a complete mess and don't know which way to turn

Re: HELP i'm in a complete mess and don't know which way to

Ok, I'll go with the 16psi backlash. It just didn't seem like it was enough at first glance.

I guess since my ears are still attached to my head, there wasn't much of a change overnight.

Oh! I know what it is! I have a two speed pump and run it on low 24/7. I don't even notice a pressure change except on high. That's why mine's always in the twenties before I do anything! Sorry Niki, I'll go back into the peanut gallery.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus

I thought we checked your pressure before and after it was cleaned (while you were picking up leaves originally) and the pressure rose a lot. That would confirm that the filter is working properly.

One cell orgasms that are floating around in the pool are very difficult for the filter to pick up and it takes a lot of time. DE does better at this because it can catch particles down to 2 microns (this is about the thickness of a standard piece of 8.5 x 11" paper)

Havent been able to check in for a couple of days but you are doing great Niki :)

My filter is the same as yours .. rarely ever rises. It stays pretty constant. I only cleaned it (cartridge filter) evert 2 or 3 days during my swamp saga.

Also ... buy that son of yours a nice gift for this :p

We're with ya :)

Hi!!!!! Kias, no worries!!!!!! Don't you dare go in no "nut gallery" LOL. I need alllllllll the input i can get, from the lurkers to the guidance counselors. Hey, it's all good!!!!

Yes , jmborchers, i believe it did rise up to 16 when i was stirring with a normal of around 11 or 12. Now it is staying around 14 since i put DE in the first time. Highest i've seen it is around 16 since then. Oh and I will put in some DE here in a few. Just got home. No change.

Good to see you newpoolowner!!!!! Glad you and your son are having a "splashing good time". I'm right behind you!!!!!

MARCO!!!!

Keep it up Niki, you're on the home stretch, now that no gunk is hiding out on the bottom. I'll make u a deal. You stick this out, I'll stick out my latest and greatest (not really greatest, but you know what I mean) project. My wife wants to switch the washer and dryer with the salon area and build our refrigerator into the wall. And I have 3 weeks from last Saturday (a week ago yesterday) to finish, that mean I have less than 2 weeks. Oh and I have to put a new window in the salon too, where there is currently none.

Here's some pics of where I'm at right now.

[attachment=2:1wtcm3vy]IMG_4886.jpg[/attachment:1wtcm3vy]
[attachment=1:1wtcm3vy]IMG_4887.jpg[/attachment:1wtcm3vy]

And of course daddy's littlest helper Carrah!
[attachment=0:1wtcm3vy]IMG_4888.jpg[/attachment:1wtcm3vy]

You finish your conversion, and I'll finish this before 2 weeks from yesterday! My wife is doing the hair for my brother-in-law and his wife's wedding (yes I said that right, they've been married 5 years and never really had a wedding.)

Keep your head up! :cheers:

Attachments

• IMG_4886.jpg
    IMG_4886.jpg
    333.8 KB · Views: 148
  • IMG_4887.jpg
    IMG_4887.jpg
    475.5 KB · Views: 148
  • IMG_4888.jpg
    IMG_4888.jpg
    460.4 KB · Views: 148

Ok well, now i don't feel like droppin bleach in the pool is that much work anymore. LOL. Ok you gotta deal.

How bet we have a race who is done faster. YOU and your "conversion" complete with window. FULLY completed OR me and my conversion. FULLY clear pool. Wanna?

The loser has to ummmm. Oh i know....write a poem about pancakes.....has to be at least 20 lines and it has to rhyme.....deal?

Ok fine!!!! LOL

You think i'll be done by the end of the week really? I just put in 311 oz bleach. FC was 1, but i swear i smelled a heavy bleach smell in the pool. Not a bad smell...like a pool smell. Honestly i don't remember smelling that before. Maybe my sinuses are just clearer today.

Will test in one hour and try for the OCLT thing. Don't think i'm quite there yet but i am thinking i'm getting close.

Winner pics losers profile photo for 1 week!!

What was the Cc level? When did you last add chlorine?

NikiBelle said:
FC was 1, but i swear i smelled a heavy bleach smell in the pool. Not a bad smell...like a pool smell.

Your pool will not have a "pool smell" when you're done. It will have no smell, but we'll wait for later on that one! One step at a time. Let's get your pool all cleared up before we turn you into a pool snob. :grin:

Just be prepared to never set foot in a hotel pool again!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support

Wow that is the closest to the mark it's ever been after one hour i think.

FC 14
CC 1

Sounds pretty decent i think!!!

and the pool was stirred a couple of hours ago. Saw maybe 3-4 leaves and we caught them. No yuk in the bottom though.

Leebo, the CC was 1.5 forgot to say that. That was right after a stir too. When i checked my FC and it was 1, i hadn't added any chlorine since last night. I was in a hurry this morning and completely forgot until i was at my first patient's house.

LOL@me. It's like i'm trying to find an excuse now.

Kias, really? I didn't know that!!! Intrigued and anxious to get into another phase of this.

Not sure what the water looks like, but at this point you had a great day!

The "smell" that you mentioned was the smell of death....algaedeath! When chlorine is killing stuff it tends to have that "smell". Often you smell this in a hotel pool, and associate it with all pools. Fact is, clean pools just smell like......a glass of water. What you are smelling is the CC's being put to rest! I myself love when people say that chlorine pools have that "smell" to them. I always challenge them to smell a bottle of bleach. What does it smell like.....not much really. Only once it starts killing stuff does it smell.

It's a good and a bad sign that you smelt this. It's a bad sign for you, as it shows that there's still stuff in your pool. Most likely there's still baquacil hiding somewhere. It's to be expected somewhat at this point. It's a good sign for you, as it also show's that even with the sun, there was still chlorine in the pool doing its job killing stuff. If you held 14FC in almost 24 hours....it shows great progress. If you're down to 1 CC now it show's that the majority of the stuff living in your pool is dead. Now it's up to the filter to clean up the mess.

Let's see what your OCLT show's this evening. Let's hope you only have a very small loss, and that 1CC drops once again to .5parts. Tomorrow after you re-coop from your weekend (I know I'm almost always shot from the 3 days) plan on doing some dirty work. It will help. I took a toothbrush and scrubbed EVERYTHING I could think of. The ladder, the returns, the skimmer, the light, the steps, the anywhere. If you see a gap anywhere that you can reach try to scrub it. I took a pack of toothbrushes and went to town (buy the dollar store ones) on the pool. Baqua-goo hides everywhere. The more you can reach the more it will kill stuff off. Do as much of this as you can at shock level.

Once you pass the OCLT you can start adding CYA to the pool, and change the sand. You will see a HUGE drop-off in chlorine use once you get to this step. I'm not sure if you'll pass tonight....but I think you're very close.

Leebo said:
Not sure what the water looks like, but at this point you had a great day!

The "smell" that you mentioned was the smell of death....algaedeath! When chlorine is killing stuff it tends to have that "smell". Often you smell this in a hotel pool, and associate it with all pools. Fact is, clean pools just smell like......a glass of water. What you are smelling is the CC's being put to rest! I myself love when people say that chlorine pools have that "smell" to them. I always challenge them to smell a bottle of bleach. What does it smell like.....not much really. Only once it starts killing stuff does it smell.

It's a good and a bad sign that you smelt this. It's a bad sign for you, as it shows that there's still stuff in your pool. Most likely there's still baquacil hiding somewhere. It's to be expected somewhat at this point. It's a good sign for you, as it also show's that even with the sun, there was still chlorine in the pool doing its job killing stuff. If you held 14FC in almost 24 hours....it shows great progress. If you're down to 1 CC now it show's that the majority of the stuff living in your pool is dead. Now it's up to the filter to clean up the mess.

Let's see what your OCLT show's this evening. Let's hope you only have a very small loss, and that 1CC drops once again to .5parts. Tomorrow after you re-coop from your weekend (I know I'm almost always shot from the 3 days) plan on doing some dirty work. It will help. I took a toothbrush and scrubbed EVERYTHING I could think of. The ladder, the returns, the skimmer, the light, the steps, the anywhere. If you see a gap anywhere that you can reach try to scrub it. I took a pack of toothbrushes and went to town (buy the dollar store ones) on the pool. Baqua-goo hides everywhere. The more you can reach the more it will kill stuff off. Do as much of this as you can at shock level.

Once you pass the OCLT you can start adding CYA to the pool, and change the sand. You will see a HUGE drop-off in chlorine use once you get to this step. I'm not sure if you'll pass tonight....but I think you're very close.

Oh ok i get it. I wasn't smelling chlorine exactly i was smelling dead stuff. Yuk. I have smelled that in the past in my pool, but it's been a little while. Now i think i wasn't clear about my FC tests today Leebo. I added bleach last night. None this morning or today at all. Tonight i checked my FC and it was 1 and my CC was 1.5. I then added 311 oz. waited one hour and retested. That is when my FC was 14 and my CC 1. I'm sorry i wasn't clear about that.

I had planned on scrubbing the pool and vacuuming tomorrow. I will get every spot i can. What i worry about is since i can only see down about 4 inches, there may be tons of spots i need to see and scrub but i won't be able to. I know my return needs to be scrubbed and i'll scrub the steps and the other parts i can see.

That 1 cc is hopeful but certainly not a for sure thing. I was down to CC .5 just a day before i found that pile of horrible ick and leaves in the middle. That's what worries me. But, i know that, even though there may still be more stuff to kill in there, there are no more piles!!! That is definitely a plus.

You were fully clear about your tests. Even the fact that you held 1FC today was a great sign. Show's slowing down of chlorine use. Get what you can by hand...and use the pool brush for the other stuff. Trust in your testing now more than the water appearance. It will come in time.

Are you adding DE to the filter each backflush now?

Hi Niki, well it is Monday and I had hoped some more knowledgeable would opine about flocking. Sice they haven't I will give you my two cents. I don't think it will help you at this time. Since your water testing is telling you your still killing organics it is most important you keep your chlorine high and circulating which means your pump on. The flocking process requires you turn the pump off for a couple of days to let the flock combine with small particles and settle to the bottom. If you do this and there are still organics growing they wii take off again. Anyway, that is why I don't think flocking now might actually set you back. What I do think would help now that you have the time is very slowly and carefully vacuume to waste. Refill, shock, and brush. An alternative, if your chlorine is holding and you don't want to vacuume it out and/or loose the water vacuume repeatedly to filter. Just take your time when vacuuming to try to be sure you cover all the surface and go slowly yo avoid stirring everything up as much as possible. Hope this helps, I do think you are almost there.

I couldn't get up this morning until 9ish. By then my pool had had two hours sun on it.

My readings were
FC 10
CC 1

Today my plans are to vacuume and scrub and stir as much as i can. Then i'll refill and start bleaching again this evening when the sun is less direct.

Hope everyone has a great Monday.

Oh and i dreamed that i saw the bottom of the pool and was so excited. Except it was hard wood floors that needed painting!!! Uggg. :|

Your plan sounds good, but I would check the FC a couple of times during the day and if it is getting below say 6 go ahead and bring it back to shock level. I am real leery about letting the FC get too low if I can help it. You may waste a little due to the sun, but I don't think you will waste that much.

ok, you gotta deal. Thanks Txmat!!!!

Right now i'm trying to see if i can find the DPD powder somewhere here locally. I've already went through 4 of the 10g containers. Well, my 4th one is almost empty.

I wish they sold that stuff by the gallon :|

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.