Apr 24, 2024
chicago, IL
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Hello,
We’re new homeowners and the home came with an above ground pool. I’m at the point where the equipment is set up and I’ve just started vacuuming.
We have a hayward perflex ec40 DE filter and attached pump.
The previous owners had a terrible cover on the pool that basically disintegrated on us so we ended up having a large amount of debris and gunk get into the pool. I’ve scooped out about as much as I could and an on to vacuuming using a skimvac.
It went well for about 10 minutes and I noticed I wasn’t getting suction anymore. The skimmer basket wasn’t too full but I emptied that out anyway and it looked to me like the pump basket was clogged.
We have a plug to stop water from flowing from the skimmer but since the equipment is below the level of the pool when we tried to open it the water from the filter and what I’m assuming is DE came pouring out of the basket.
The inlet to the pool is an aqualuminator and I don’t want to have to remove the light from it every time I want to clean the pump basket.
And we don’t want to just let the water come pouring out because we have a small yard in the city and that area of the yard is already very uneven, I’m assuming from the same thing being done before.
Does anyone have suggestions on what we can do to stop the water coming from the inlet jet without having to remove the light from the aqualiminator?
I’m hoping there’s a simple solution I just haven’t thought of yet

Usually there’s a valve to close flow when the equipment is lower than the pool. Do you see something that could fit this description?

Usually there’s a valve to close flow when the equipment is lower than the pool. Do you see something that could fit this description?
I do not see any sort of valve, no. I’m thinking we’ll probably just have to install one and do our best to stem the water flow while we’re installing the valve and then hopefully that will make cleaning the basket easier.

I do not see any sort of valve, no. I’m thinking we’ll probably just have to install one and do our best to stem the water flow while we’re installing the valve and then hopefully that will make cleaning the basket easier.
Absent valves, you can plug the skimmer and return using threaded or compressible rubber plugs. If your filter has a multiport valve with "CLOSED" as a setting, and your spider gasket is effective, then moving the MPV to closed and plugging just the skimmer would work as well.

Reactions: kul
Absent valves, you can plug the skimmer and return using threaded or compressible rubber plugs. If your filter has a multiport valve with "CLOSED" as a setting, and your spider gasket is effective, then moving the MPV to closed and plugging just the skimmer would work as well.

Not with an Aqualuminator in place you cant. As somebody who tried - really tried - to use one for three seasons, my advice is to take it out, throw it as far as possible, install a normal return, and never look back.

The design of them is horrible when it comes to trying to plug and/or winterize the return.

Reactions: lulk82
You can also remove the basket, replace the pump lid, clean and then reverse steps. Ensuring you have adequate silicone lubricant on the oring is important if you do this since you'll be adding additional wear on the oring from multiple on offs.

Those aqualuminators are a pain in the rear. It is very much a case of the juice not being worth the squeeze.

Here is what you will have to do. Get the expandable rubber plug designed for winterizing the aqualuminator. Hopefully the previous owner left you one. If not, you will need to get one, and they are an oddball size, because of course, it's an aqualuminator.

Follow the above directions. This is a two person job. One person has to remove the backing nut and be ready with a rag/towel to stop the flood of water. The other person has to be in the pool (or at least hanging over the edge) to remove the bulb assembly and insert the winterizing plug. Yay Aqualuminator, what an awesome process you devised.

Anyway, once the plug is in place, you are free to then cut the pipe near the filter and install a valve, then re-install the demon light

That is how to install a valve on your return run.

HOWEVER YOU SHOULD NOT HAVE TO INSTALL A VALVE. You really should, it is very handy. However, your EC-40 is supposed to have a check valve on it. It should not flow in reverse. You should be able to shut just the suction side, and open the pump skimmer. I have the same filter, and even though I have a valve on the return, I do not have to shut it to clear the pump basket

Part 19 on the exploded diagram is the backflow preventer. You should have one, maybe something is wedged in it. You really need it, otherwise your DE is going to start floating all over the place.

Those aqualuminators are a pain in the rear. It is very much a case of the juice not being worth the squeeze.

Here is what you will have to do. Get the expandable rubber plug designed for winterizing the aqualuminator. Hopefully the previous owner left you one. If not, you will need to get one, and they are an oddball size, because of course, it's an aqualuminator.

Follow the above directions. This is a two person job. One person has to remove the backing nut and be ready with a rag/towel to stop the flood of water. The other person has to be in the pool (or at least hanging over the edge) to remove the bulb assembly and insert the winterizing plug. Yay Aqualuminator, what an awesome process you devised.

Anyway, once the plug is in place, you are free to then cut the pipe near the filter and install a valve, then re-install the demon light

That is how to install a valve on your return run.

HOWEVER YOU SHOULD NOT HAVE TO INSTALL A VALVE. You really should, it is very handy. However, your EC-40 is supposed to have a check valve on it. It should not flow in reverse. You should be able to shut just the suction side, and open the pump skimmer. I have the same filter, and even though I have a valve on the return, I do not have to shut it to clear the pump basket

Part 19 on the exploded diagram is the backflow preventer. You should have one, maybe something is wedged in it. You really need it, otherwise your DE is going to start floating all over the place.
Thank you for your reply, this information is very helpful!
I’m thinking something must be wrong with the check valve because yes the DE started coming back up through the pump.

I had to replace the check "valve" on my EC-40 a couple of seasons back. It's really just a weighted rubber flapper. I knew it was bad because I was getting DE in the pump pot when I turned it off. It's easy enough to replace.

Reactions: lulk82