Hayward Gas Heater Problems

May 31, 2017
Lee, NY
I think I have the right section now...

So I have a SR200NA Hayward gas heater that's approximately 17 years old. With a 20'x40' 28,000 gal pool I'm not sure if this is even the proper size heater for the pool. Didn't know much when we had it put in. I also pull the board every winter as mice seem to like living in there over the winter.

I've been having numerous fault lights over the past few years that typically go away after recycles etc however this year, no joy. Getting all the lights to turn on momentarily after it's powered up but eventually it just shows the water temp readout and the "Spa On" green light. None of touch keys respond to their being pressed other than getting random numbers on the readout that are in the 200's-300's. I haven't recorded them. The heater doesn't fire up and occasionally I'll get an E3 error after the random number in the hundreds shows up. I've cycled it numerous time and always get the same results.

I realize this unit is old and perhaps I should taking a look at replacing it rather than keeping it alive. If I do decide to replace it, any thoughts on whether I should stay with gas (perhaps a higher BTU) or go with a heat pump. Not familiar with the heat pump and would rather ask you folks than the pool store.

Thanks in advance.

I would suspect the touchpad has an issue, but let's see if some of our heater experts can provide you some guidance.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.