heater problem with variable speed pump

May 10, 2014
Falls Church, VA
I just upgraded to a variable speed pump that is pre-programmed to run at different speeds throughout the day. I have a Hayward H250ED2 gas heater thst was here when I bought the house 15 years ago. When the pump runs at less than full speed, the heater bangs loudly and vibrates so much that I end up turning it off -- which means I can only run the heater when I am home and can turn the pump to full speed. Any ideas on how to deal with this? I suppose I need a way to have the heater turn off when the pump is running at low speed.

I have an electric heat-pump heater that I may install next year to replace the gas heater. Would that heater have the same problem?

Most heaters have a minimum and maximum flow rate. As you noted, you do not have enough flow for your heater. For now, turn the heater off when your pump is running low speed.

What variable speed pump and heater do you have? Make and specific model number please. We can probably figure out how to connect the two...

Most heaters have a minimum and maximum flow rate. As you noted, you do not have enough flow for your heater. For now, turn the heater off when your pump is running low speed.

What variable speed pump and heater do you have? Make and specific model number please. We can probably figure out how to connect the two...
As I said, the heater is a Hayward model H250ED2. The pump is a Splapool model 72559.

Page 5. Section 4.1 says speeds are adjustable. Section 4.2 gives the procedure.
I read the OP as wanting to have the pump increase speed when the heater was on. I was going to suggest a coil relay off the blower motor or gas valve in the heater if the pump had the capability to be controlled externally, like the Pentair superflo...This pump doesn't have the capability. That would mean some type of automation...

You can, as @1poolman1 suggests, alter your pump speed in its internal programming to run faster all the time to solve the problem.

My new pump has the same model number as the one mentioned by PoolStored, but a different control panel. So far, I have not been able to alter the default programming, despite following the instructions in the manual. I think the answer is to program the pump to run for fewer hours each day, but always at high speed to allow the heater to work. Now I just have to figure out how to do that. My friend and neighbor (who comes to all my pool parties) is a computer geek, so maybe he can help me. And now I'm thinking that a variable speed pump is worthless. When I had a single-speed pump controlled by an old-style clock timer, I didn't have this problem.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.