Have two potential sites, both with issues. Where would you build?

Tree & fence-both can make or break a good feeling with neighbors for sure. You are saying there has been 4 owners of the house next door in 5 years?? OUCH! I hope the ones there can stick around for a while and help with the shared fence. Is the fence RIGHT on the property line? One side of our fence inside that neighbors property line so that means I maintain some of they "yard". NO big deal as I just mow right by fence and call it good. She is a wonderful neighbor. We do the maintenance on the fence as needed to help her out. The other side weaves in and out of both of our properties :roll: again not big deal.....just mow right beside it. We have 6.5 acres so we have a LOT of fence line LOL

OH NO on the clearance! At least your looked BEFORE you started digging :shock:

Price of the pool....it could go both ways-all included OR only pool walls included. You need to get it all in writing then share it with us so we can help make sure it is big enough and good .k

-Equipment placement-out of sight is good BUT you also do not want it sitting right outside a window or right by a door due to noise. Saying that most of the new pumps are VERY quiet but there is still some noise. Just something to think about. You can have the equipment where ever you are willing pay to put it. The further from the pool the longer the trench and more pipe/wire, etc. It is a give and take no matter where you put it.

Kim:kim:

Personally? Lose that tree, put it towards the back left corner near the fences in the first pic. Gives you more yard, it'll already be fenced in on two sides, and if you build the fencing or shrubbery up a little, more private. Size of pool vs yard, it's going to dominate anyway, so put it off to the side so you have some yard still before the pool fence starts. Right next to the deck means the space behind it becomes kinda dead space. Plus that tree is going to just drop everything in the pool anyway, so you'll put it in an awkward spot to save the tree and then end up hating the tree anyway.

Can't put it under the power lines, and you'd have to build up and have retaining wall for slope anyway, so potential for headache there.

Wish my pool wasn't so close to my house...

My day off has changed unexpectedly, so I'm heading to that store tomorrow to talk to them. Since my days off are limited, what questions should I ask them tomorrow? (I know there's a list of questions posted here, but for the life of me, I can't seem to find it.)

What is included in the price?
Do they take care of the permits?
Their schedule/timeline. (When can this happen/how long does it take)
What's the process for moving the electrical? (Who does what first)

Anything else?

Thank you, Big Will! I had such a time trying to find that!

Also, I've been reading up and the electrical line is a moot point, as far as placement. It's going to have to be moved regardless, as it's too close to both sites. It goes over one site and clips the edge of the other.

So I got a quote for a Radiant pool and I'm not sure about it. Here's the quote for a 12x24 (before taxes it's $16k and the quote is broken down):

-Waterway pump/filter system - Cartridge - 150 sqft, Pump - 1.5 hp 2 speed ($599)
-Beaded liner (stonebridge tan) ($549)
-Bead receiver
-Oval Geo Guard bottom ($162.50)
-1.5" blue vac hose
-15' ft Pool cover (not sure if this is an actual cover or what, as it also says the actual size is 19x19) ($59)
-Flo-Pro wide mouth skimmer ($69)
-Smart Lite color changing LED with remote (2) ($69)
-Skimmer head
-Skimmer plug
-Triangle Vac head
-Solar cover ($29)
-Pool Boy auto vac - above ground ($99)
-Above ground pool step anchor
-Step pad
-Biltmore Magnum 25" pool entry step combo ($299)
-2 way ball valve
-Floor/Wall brush and telescopic pole

If I want to add entry steps instead of a ladder, that'll be another $3900.

I'm responsible for getting the permits, sand for the floor, water, electric hookup, dirt removal, and backfill. It also says that it's an extra $10/inch for 6" dig and I'm not sure what that means. He said that there wasn't any extra fee if it was (I want to say) 30" out of level, but I can't quite remember.

Doing a Doughboy would have the same specs, but would obviously only be set 27 inches in the ground and would be $7k.

I also emailed him, as I forgot to ask, what just a straight inground vinyl would cost and it's double the cost of the Radiant.

Anyway, I don't know anything about the Waterway brand, but I'd really rather not have a cartridge filter and would prefer sand.

There is a LOT you will have to take care of with this quote............not sure I would stay with this. Maybe price out what you would have to do and see if it would be worth while to move forward with him.

Kim

That's my feeling, Kim. It seems like what they do is dig the hole and assemble the pool and that's it? He said something somewhat odd about the sand that stuck with me. He said that, if we had it on site, they'd spread it. And while me getting a sand delivery is no problem, the way he said it made me wonder what they'd do if I didn't have it on site. Like, would they install on a dirt floor? Stop work? Bring their own and charge me a premium? I didn't think to ask at the time, since providing sand and possibly gravel for backfill was something I had planned to do to cut costs (if it was provided in a quote).

However, the good thing about this is that it's making me want to revisit one of the earlier quotes I received, which was an inground vinyl that started at $25k.

Honestly, I'm feeling rather discouraged, as I had hoped to do this for around $20k, but it seems that it can't be done for that price by a company. I know we could do an above ground, and I have nothing against above ground pools, but we have such a small yard that anything larger than an 18' would visually take over and I don't want that.

Anyway, that's where I am in my thought process.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
that is a lot to do on ur own. it's funny you mention all the stuff you have to do cause that's how my first estimate was. it looks so low on paper and appealing. they told me what i was responsible for i figured no big deal so i took that to my buddy and said figure out for him to do all this on the books with his business. it added up quick. then i added it in and months later compared it to a much higher estimate I had (which also had better building material and equipment) and go figure suddenly the higher estimate is lower!

keep looking. there has to be more guys out there. start calling pool stores that are local, call guys that open and close (that's how i found the one guy who was great, but didn't end up using). once you start poking around harder i bet you find more guys out there.

jmo

I had to move my electrical overhead to underground, and it ended up costing about ~$5K for the dig and conduit, then $10/foot for the new feeder to my house from the pole.

Someone from the electric company called me on Tuesday, but I only had time to skim the message transcription until tonight. My household has had a bit of an upheaval in the past week, because of a possible new addition.

The short version is that my neighbors are jerks and were going to dump their dog. We're dog people, so we took him in and are in the process of deciding if we're going to keep him or get him a new home. I'm at the end of my super busy season at work, so between that and dealing with a dog, means I haven't had time to do much else.

Anyway, the guy from the electric company had some good information. The fee to move the line is minimal, but that we're not up to code (he explained why, but I don't know all the terms). He also said that we'd have to contact an electrician if we wanted to move the meter, which I already knew, but what I didn't know is that we have the option of moving the line to another pole (we have two poles on the corners of our property). And he also mentioned the option of going underground.

Whatever we do, we'll have to have the meter moved, as it's currently dead center on the back of our house, but I didn't realize we had the option of having the line move to the other pole. The fact that he said it wasn't up to code makes me wonder if that's why our power always goes off every time the wind blows. And that's not me using an idiom; our power goes out for about 12 hours about once a month. If we get a big rainstorm, our block of about 8 loses power, but no one else in the neighborhood does. Once, literally nothing happened; no wind, no storm, no nothing and we didn't have power for 24 hours.

I've taken a look at the pole where our power comes from and it's leans (maybe 10 percent from straight) and I believe that pole has a transformer on it. Not that it will make a difference, but maybe us doing this will make them replace the pole and our neighborhood group will have more reliable power.

Good for you for taking in the dog! The first few days/weeks are the hardest as he learns the rules and you learn his language!

VERY interesting info on the power line! Sounds like this could be a good thing for many in your area!

Kim:kim:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.