That would certainly not be the norm. What are you trying to do? Gunite is the "bones" of a pool, but it is covered by a plaster/pebble/quartz finish that lasts 10-20 years. Has your finish worn through?

The plaster (2 layers) was pulling away from the wall. I was advised by pool company to take the plaster off, and paint with appoxy paint, which is what I have done.

I believe the pool leaks, with or without plaster or appoxy paint. I am trying to fix leak

That would certainly not be the norm. What are you trying to do? Gunite is the "bones" of a pool, but it is covered by a plaster/pebble/quartz finish that lasts 10-20 years. Has your finish worn through?
The plaster (2 layers) was pulling away from the wall. I was advised by pool company to take the plaster off, and paint with appoxy paint, which is what I have done.

I believe the pool leaks, with or without plaster or appoxy paint. I am trying to fiX leak

They gave you horrible advice. Pool paint doeant last long and is a bandaid at best. It's a pain to remove to do a correct plaster job its never a good solution. If the pool is leaking its probably from a fitting at face of pool or plumbing leaks.

They gave you horrible advice. Pool paint doeant last long and is a bandaid at best. It's a pain to remove to do a correct plaster job its never a good solution. If the pool is leaking its probably from a fitting at face of pool or plumbing leaks.

What do mean face of pool? I am now trying to clean up the pool, so I can sell the house. I am in the process of draining the pool, and tomorrow pressure wash, then fill it back up, and try to keep it looking good until sell. While the pool is empty what should I look for? I think there maybe a leak around the light. What should I use to seal? How do you remove paint if I want to plaster it?

You need pool sealant its basically silicone that's rated for u underwater use. To plaster it you would sandblast the paint off amd then bondcoat first then plaster

Attachments

• 20200504_163557.jpg
    20200504_163557.jpg
    368.7 KB · Views: 193
  • 20200504_163548.jpg
    20200504_163548.jpg
    222.6 KB · Views: 203
  • 20200504_163532.jpg
    20200504_163532.jpg
    341.9 KB · Views: 203
  • 20200504_163527.jpg
    20200504_163527.jpg
    413.6 KB · Views: 205
  • 20200504_163523.jpg
    20200504_163523.jpg
    366.6 KB · Views: 193
  • Wow
Reactions: Stoopalini

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
That pool needs to be replastered.

If you paint it then you are hoping you get an uneducated buyer who does not do a pool inspection and will not be happy discovering what they really bought.

I would like to repair the cracks before putting plaster over them. Any idea how to repair the cracks?

You don’t put new plaster over plaster that is cracked, delaminating, and does not have good adhesion to the gunite. The plaster needs to be removed down to a solid surface and new plaster applied.

Either fix it right or sell the house with the pool as is.

We see home buyers coming here after finding surprises in the problems with pools that were not properly disclosed. There are many shady seller practices that try to hide known problems. Don’t be one of those sellers.

You don’t put new plaster over plaster that is cracked, delaminating, and does not have good adhesion to the gunite. The plaster needs to be removed down to a solid surface and new plaster applied.

Either fix it right or sell the house with the pool as is.

We see home buyers coming here after finding surprises in the problems with pools that were not properly disclosed. There are many shady seller practices that try to hide known problems. Don’t be one of those sellers.
[/QUOT
The pool doesn't have plaster on it. I am trying not to be, as you say, one of those sellers.

The pool doesn't have plaster on it. I am trying not to be, as you say, one of those sellers.

It is either plaster that is cracked or the gunite shell itself is cracked. I can't tell from the pictures you posted.

If the gunite is cracked then you have bigger structural issues. You may need concrete staples with epoxy injection for a mechanical solid fix. This is a common concrete repair technique.

Watch

Torque Lock

Concrete Crack Repair Staples for Swimming Pools and Pool Decks | AquaStitch

Pool Structural Repair Staples. Carbon Fiber Kevlar Repair by Fortress Stabilization

It is either plaster that is cracked or the gunite shell itself is cracked. I can't tell from the pictures you posted.

If the gunite is cracked then you have bigger structural issues. You may need concrete staples with epoxy injection for a mechanical solid fix. This is a common concrete repair technique.

Watch

Torque Lock

Concrete Crack Repair Staples for Swimming Pools and Pool Decks | AquaStitch

Pool Structural Repair Staples. Carbon Fiber Kevlar Repair by Fortress Stabilization
That seems like alot of work for hairline cracks, and potentially making them worse.
I have been talking to a construction man
He suggested cutting out the large cracks, and usng hydrolic cement to fill it in. Do you see any problems with this?

That seems like alot of work for hairline cracks, and potentially making them worse.
I have been talking to a construction man
He suggested cutting out the large cracks, and usng hydrolic cement to fill it in. Do you see any problems with this?

You are then treating the symptom with putting hydraulic cement in the cracks and not the disease and the cracks are likely to return. The gunite has structural issues that caused it to crack. Hydraulic cement does not add any structure to the pool and it will crack again in time. Concrete staples fix the structural problems.

Using the hydraulic cement is a patch job that will bite a future owner when their pool develops cracks and they have no clue why. If youa re in a state where there are seller discclosure laws you would be required to disclose to a buyer that you are aware the pool had structural cracks and how you repaired it.

You are then treating the symptom with putting hydraulic cement in the cracks and not the disease and the cracks are likely to return. The gunite has structural issues that caused it to crack. Hydraulic cement does not add any structure to the pool and it will crack again in time. Concrete staples fix the structural problems.

Using the hydraulic cement is a patch job that will bite a future owner when their pool develops cracks and they have no clue why. If youa re in a state where there are seller discclosure laws you would be required to disclose to a buyer that you are aware the pool had structural cracks and how you repaired it.
I was told by a geologist that having hairline cracks is common in my part of the country.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.