GFCI Double Pole breaker and dual speed 220V motor

SBall

Jun 27, 2017
Nashville, TN
Pentair Whisperflo dual speed 220V motor has three connections...Load 1, High Speed, Low Speed. The High/Low speed lines come from the Pentair two speed motor relay. The Load 1 comes from the Filter/Pump relay in my EasyTouch. There seems to be no connection for a neutral.

The Siemens 20A GFCI double pole has the white pigtail, which I have tied to neutral bus. It also has Load 1 and Load 2, which I have going to the Filter/Pump relay in EasyTouch. Do I just leave the neutral in the GFCI double pole breaker empty?

Does the GFCI properly trip when you press the TEST button?

You are running 4 wires from the main panel to the subpanel - black, red, white, green?

Yeah, Im running 8 gauge from the main panel and a 50A breaker to my EasyTouch.

The breaker does not need a neutral wire from the load to work. It just needs the pigtail connected to the neutral bar to use it as a reference to set the trip threshold.

Dan

Thanks. I am an EE, and in the microelectronics world, leaving stuff "floating" is usually a good way to let the smoke out. :)

In these, the internal electronics uses the pigtail to shunt power to when the test button is tripped. When the current flow goes to the neutral, the electronics detects the current loss that it is comparing on both hots and shuts the breaker off.

Dan

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.