Fresh Lake water

Awe yes, lake water, I remember now. Has the water cleared yet? The disappearing dot CYA test cant really tell between 0 and bellow 20ppm. I would think that lake water wouldn’t have any CYA but there’s no guarantee which is why I’d suggest creeping up on you target value slowly. According to PoolMath each 11oz dose will add 10ppm of CYA. Without a SWG you wanna be at about 30-40ppm.
Thank will look into it how would I creep it up with stabilizer?

Lake water does not carry CYA. I can only assume that the CYA kit you purchased it legit and will work fine, but here again at TFP we recommend only a few test kits. You are still missing other items in a kit, and will have a difficult time trying to clean up a pool, or keep a pool clean without understanding the basics of the TFP methodology. Thank you.
Oh and the water is clear can see the bottom but cloudy Tested this morning CYA is at 30

Creeping up on your target value is adding a litttle at a time rather than the whole lot at once and risking over dosing. Since your now at 30ppm all is good. I would add another 11oz which would bring you to 40ppm and you’ll be good for the rest of the summer. Just avoid the dichlor, trichlor or pucks which will add CYA, once your at your target you want to avoid adding any more. Stick with regular liquid bleach.

Last edited:
Reactions: Latinroadie
Creeping up on your target value is adding a litttle at a time rather than the whole lot at once and risking over dosing. Since your now at 30ppm all is good. I would add another 11oz which would bring you to 40ppm and you’ll be good for the rest of the summer. Just avoid the dichlor, trichlor or pucks which will add CYA, once your at your target you want to avoid adding any more. Stick with regular liquid bleach.
Yes was told about the tablets never again will look into stenner pump for next year. I added the 11oz and will test in the AM thank so much for your support

Should I have to worry about hardness?

With a vinyl liner you don’t need to add any calcium. From the recommended levels there is no minimum for vinyl. Calcium hypo will add calcium and tap water has calcium but I believe the folks in the northern states don’t need to worry about calcium hardness much as long as you avoid continuous use of the cal-hypo.

Hi all good morning and happy Saturday. Hope u have a sun filled day. In the POOL MATH App it says filter cleaning it that for people with Carthage’s because I did a deep cleaning on my 16” sand filter before opening the pool with the hose to the bottom all around ( yes ugly stuff came up) my filter is doing a great job. One week of brown water from the lake and adjusting the Cem’s it looks like this 52” walls and 48” of water I think it looks great thanks to TFP. Let me know what u guys think cems are ?%

Attachments

• D57353B2-5B19-4A6C-809E-BF1ED1FF3C67.jpeg
    D57353B2-5B19-4A6C-809E-BF1ED1FF3C67.jpeg
    321.6 KB · Views: 31
lr,

You cannot tell what your chemical levels are by looking.. It is just impossible.

In a well run TFP pool, you should be able to clearly see the bottom of your pool, which is not what I see in your pic. Not to say it is a lot better than when you first started, but you still have a ways to go.

If you want us to tell you if your chemicals are OK, you will need to provide us with the following numbers...

FC
CC
pH
TA
CH
CYA.

Thanks,

Jim R.

lr,

You cannot tell what your chemical levels are by looking.. It is just impossible.

In a well run TFP pool, you should be able to clearly see the bottom of your pool, which is not what I see in your pic. Not to say it is a lot better than when you first started, but you still have a ways to go.

If you want us to tell you if your chemicals are OK, you will need to provide us with the following numbers...

FC
CC
pH
TA
CH
CYA.

Thanks,

Jim R.
I’m not asking you if the Cem’s are good I’m telling you the Cem’s are good I test every morning since last week. I sent the Pic because from brown to seeing the bottom in one week to me I think it’s great last time I filtered brown lake water it took me one month because that was with out the help of TFP. Plus I can see the bottom because the vacuum is not floating on the top and I can see it. Only thing I have not tested was the CC and the CH. for a beginner here at TFP I think I did a good job and I owe it to TFP. I know I’m not part of the Mod squad or a TFP expert but I’m telling u the Cem’s are where they are supposed to be.

Last edited:
You have come a far way! Just a little longer and that water should look like drinking water. Some pools almost look empty when the water clears, they're sooooooo clear.

Only backwash when your filter raises by 25%, and if you did a recent deep clean you should still be good.

You're doing fine- keep up the effort. Test often and keep the FC up and it will go faster.

Maddie :flower:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
You have come a far way! Just a little longer and that water should look like drinking water. Some pools almost look empty when the water clears, they're sooooooo clear.

Only backwash when your filter raises by 25%, and if you did a recent deep clean you should still be good.

You're doing fine- keep up the effort. Test often and keep the FC up and it will go faster.

Maddie :flower:
Thank you Maddie been vacuuming every morning for 30 min to help the cause. ???? ?‍♂️

Since your now at 30ppm all is good. I would add another 11oz which would bring you to 40ppm and you’ll be good for the rest of the summer.
Don't do that. I assume at some point you intend to properly SLAM the pool to clear up your water. A CYA of 30 is just right to perform the SLAM. That said, I'll add to what has already been said........you cannot perform the SLAM process unless you have a test kit that is capable

Reactions: Latinroadie
Lake water does not carry CYA. I can only assume that the CYA kit you purchased it legit and will work fine, but here again at TFP we recommend only a few test kits. You are still missing other items in a kit, and will have a difficult time trying to clean up a pool, or keep a pool clean without understanding the basics of the TFP methodology. Thank you.
Thank you by next year I’ll be a pro. I do a lot of traveling and set the pools up to get it going and to sharpen the tool in my head for the future I really appreciate the help and the knowledge. ??????

Since having lake water in my pool I decided to keep pool in SLAM mode after a week of non stop filtering. Pool was looking cloudy and Chlorine was at 2.0 at 40 CYA. PH at 8.2 it wasn’t like that yesterday was at 7.6. My pool, filter and pump has been out of service for 3 years, finally added new OEM parts for the pump and now its running a lot better and with more force. The return jet was facing up and with the stronger force created more bubble (Creating Aeration) in the pool for like 14 hours. Would have brought up my PH?
Thanks ??

You have a vinyl liner pool. Calcium Hardness is not important, as long as it is not above 400 ppm.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.