Freeform in MA

Not trying?? Nope you are DOING IT! GUrrrrrrrrrrrr

Agreed, and after all the frustration... they are going to pass along $750?? So from both sides of the card:

Them -

$750 is less than 1% of the total build of which I have no idea the margin, but it's definitely more than 1%. In a season where all you've done is annoy this client, why would you pass along $750?

Us -

$750 is less than 1% of the total build. It's even lower than probably 0.5% of the overall pool, landscaping, yard fill etc cost. So it's a drop in the bucket in the grand scheme, but it's more principal.

I delivered an ultimatum, a very simple clause that anyone who is upstanding and honest should take 100% of the time.

I'll pay the $750 if they hit the date 8/13, if they miss it, I won't pay it. That's my final offer. They stuttered and made up more excuses, but being 14 days out from the date they said was 100%, shifts only a day or two at most if we had major wash out weather or and equipment failure, basically loose act of god talk, you'd think why wouldn't you take that deal? No confidence.

I was told after he sent the email he was expecting my call.. I got lovely excuses about the price going up due to the tariff drama, them not hitting their dates because of the immigration issues, this being the first season they've needed to put up a help wanted sign and still got no responses.. lots of excuses. A story of "well, [this client] started last year and was supposed to be in by memorial day and we didn't finish until the 4th of july..." That doesn't help your case dummy. "They said they'd never give us a positive review and actually just this week they reached out and said they've had a chance to cool down and now will let anyone come see and recommend us..."

I don't get it, they must be dealing with this all over the place.. He told me he takes this stuff personally and really doesn't like when people get upset with him or the company he represents. I told him, it's simple, if he doesn't want to feel bad about these situations, avoid them by being up front, honest, and ensure the entire team is on the same page. There has been no project completed in 6 weeks according to construction manager, so don't quote 6 weeks, 8 is ideal and perfect scenario, 10 is normal, and 12 is where things spiral out.

He told me he expects us to be annoyed and that we'll probably not give positive reviews but in a year we'll probably re-consider. I told him, I agree, but I don't see any scenario where our conversation with friends and family won't follow a pattern of: "We love our pool and yard, BUT...[insert cautionary tale]" as a result of this situation.

Venting is good.

11.23.16-Emperor-Palpatine-Dark-Side-Dog-Memes-a.jpg

Sad, oh so sad...............anyone would jump at the chance to step up like that...............You KNEW they would not because they could not make the date :(

The truth.........just tell the truth without making excuses!!

My eyes are here for you! Vent away!!!

the immigration issues, this being the first season they've needed to put up a help wanted sign and still got no responses.. lots of excuses. A story of "well, [this client] started last year and was supposed to be in by memorial day and we didn't finish until the 4th of july..." That doesn't help your case dummy.

I can't believe I'm reading this because I just got the same exact earful on my build! These guys must go to conferences where they learn how to lie to homeowners.

I'm not sure I understand the whole price increase thing either...surely prices actually go through increases all the time. Isn't that why they build margins into their contracts in the first place? I can understand someone providing you a quote that is good for 30 days and if you don't sign by then they have the right to re-quote it. That makes perfect sense. Even if you changed something, any price differences should have been disclosed at the time as it might have influenced your decision to make the change.

This is just wrong.

I can't believe I'm reading this because I just got the same exact earful on my build! These guys must go to conferences where they learn how to lie to homeowners.

I'm not sure I understand the whole price increase thing either...surely prices actually go through increases all the time. Isn't that why they build margins into their contracts in the first place? I can understand someone providing you a quote that is good for 30 days and if you don't sign by then they have the right to re-quote it. That makes perfect sense. Even if you changed something, any price differences should have been disclosed at the time as it might have influenced your decision to make the change.

This is just wrong.

Yep, and they also told me EVERY COLOR other than white diamonds is now an upgrade... oh really? How interesting that if I change colors at this point it will cost me no matter what, but if I stay it's the same price.

I hardly believe for 1 second that PebbleTec increased pebblesheen costs on every color EXCEPT white diamonds.

Liars.. I just hope I can do my part when this is all done to keep others safe from making a terrible business decision.

I GUESS if they started the decking over there and went that way while the plaster guys were doing their thing then it could work..........not sure if they can play that well together though. This is going to be VERY interesting to see how it works out!

Spoke to them after remembering I asked just such a question previously...

They agree. NO Decking work is allowed during pebblesheen or AFTER. It's too close and will contaminate the pool.

Sooooo they flat out lied... again...

New schedule:

Tile 1 day - Date : TBD
Pavers - 3 days - Date : 8/13/18

• Stone dust - 1 day
  • Lay pavers - 1 day
  • Sand and Cuts - 1 day
  • Somewhere in this 3 days - Natural stone coping, it gets done while the machine is on site
Pebblesheen - 3 days - Date : 8/13/18 -- Except it's not because they agreed they can't be done at the same time. Kadison is doing this work. Our date is 8/13 with Kadison. If Kadison cannot shift this date by 3 days, we are at the mercy of their schedule and relationship with PB ie. If Kadison can't do another day until September and there is no wiggle room, we could be on-call until say 9/1 or 9/30 or who the.. bleep knows. Answer is "coming" in the next few days. PB said something like.. "Well they're up in maine so I couldn't get in touch today.." I'm trying to play it cool, but.. these people are nuts.
  • Cleaning the pool - 1 day
  • Pebblesheen - 2 days

OH and now i'm being told our equipment isn't on site because it needs to be done after pavers started so the machinery can prep the site.. so when I was speaking with him I said, "Uh, you know they brought crusher run or dense grade or something and tamped it down the day they rough graded for plumbing, electrical, and pavers. So, I think we've been all set for equipment for weeks." "I'll have to check with [project manager], I don't want to just send my plumber if it's not really ready."

I was told before plumbing and equipment is same day if the pad's prepped. Well.. it was... sooooooooo?

Now you're telling me you don't know what parts of the job are done?!

This place... I'm telling you, I hope anyone else who lives in the area and looks at TFP finds this. The pool will look great I'm sure, but the company is run like it's the first time they've ever managed any job. I run complex projects at work, that involve everything from concept through commercial deliverable. There are many setbacks, there are many issues that go outside your control, but if you've done it before you know the pitfalls, like watch out for long shutdowns in china during holiday season. Don't forget shipping days. Build in contingency plans. Think ahead. DON'T BACKLOAD YOUR PROJECT.

Ahhhhh

658.png

Ugh, sorry to hear you're still fighting the battle. I feel your pain though - no relief on my end either, next week will be 4 weeks without any progress since dig/rebar. :(

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Ugh, sorry to hear you're still fighting the battle. I feel your pain though - no relief on my end either, next week will be 4 weeks without any progress since dig/rebar. :(

That's terrible too! Especially if your job turns out like ours, you'll be sledding in the thing before you're swimming in it... I've told my wife at this point we should plan to be in this pool around end of September. Meaning not in it unless we just crank the heater and make this season exist by sheer will and grit.

We have an annual party in the end of August every year, this may be the first year we don't host anything then because of this. One of the pool companies said something like, "don't ever plan a party based on our end date.." maybe even the one we went with to which we said, "Obviously, we're not planning a 4th of july party.." that was when our start was 5/1 and finish was 7/1... that being said, I would've never thought that general statement could possible have applied to a party nearly 2 months after the contracted finish date...

:mad:

I just can't believe this...oh wait I totally can. This is terrible, I'm so sorry this is happening to you too. Your thread reads just like mine and so I really feel all your frustration. Luckily you can just vent, vent, vent to all of us understanding and sympathetic fellow TFPers!!

"The masons will be to your job tomorrow to start the tile..."

Good news, hoping he meant to say they'll be on the job to complete the tile, but hey at least they are showing up..

The electrician was here again today to run his bond wire around the coping perimeter. He used bare copper wire tied to 4 or 5 pieces of rebar that were part of the pool. I was curious if they then bend this rebar down and bury it beneath the decking or if they cut this off. It's currently about 4 feet long.

!!??!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!

So.. they came, did not finish due to a rain shower..

They tiled my dam wall between spa and pool. I thought it was weird that they didn't finish that with coping a few weeks ago, but they are so poor in communication I had no idea.

My CAD up until a few days ago said Dam wall Finish: Coping

They sent me updated CAD after the nickel and diming situation to reflect the reduction in pavers and it all of a sudden says Tile.

I thankfully never signed any of their contract addendums between that updated CAD and now (none of which talked about dam wall finish). I just can't believe this place. So clearly, they planned on doing that change and never told me.. I just can't even...

I've got an email in to ask when who and why... i'm sure I'll get crickets.

FYI my original paper contract says Dam Wall finish - Coping.

"My mistake. All of our spas that are flush to pool level get tile on the dam wall. Only raised spas get coping.

I mistakenly wrote in coping instead of tile and made the adjustment to the plan for the coping and tile crews prior to install.

My apologies. "

Last edited:
Not even giving me that option I guess, just sweeping this under the rug hoping to get away with something.

I honestly think the masons probably made a mistake when coping and they just rolled with it. No idea.. no communication.. they just hope you forget or are so beaten down you don't fight..

Ive been through worse. Sucks to be them

The answer is those pools are stamped concrete, totally different, coping on the dam wall is only on raised spas which we had long before signing our contract and opt'd out of before signing..

Maybe this isn't deception, but they've lost all credibility.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.