Freeform in MA

So... I need help

CYA makes no sense..
Shocked for the first time last night, I assumed my cya was ~40 even though it measured 25 because of the delay I've seen.

Target was 17 ppm

This morning I was at fc 16 ppm and cc 0

Tonight:

FA 7.5ppm
pH 7.4
TA 90ppm
CH 240ppm
CYA 20ppm???

It's been 7+ days since 4 lbs have been added so pool math says 28 ppm and my gallons on pool math are high at 17000.

4 days since the last 2 lbs added, 3 days since dissolved.

Then last night I read 25ish and today 20?

I also felt like I probably could've added more to the view tube, I could still just barely make out the dot.

Time for a new thread I think...

If it was the Clorox brand CYA.......that might be your problem. There were some complaints it was not raising the CYA to the level it should have in the early year. Other said it worked fine for them so.........who knows what is what :( It has been long enough your level should be were it is going to be with this last batch of CYA you added. My thinking is get some more. Maybe buying it from a pool store *gasp* to get a different brand as the only brand I have been able to fine outside of the pool store has been the Clorox.

Kim:kim:

If it was the Clorox brand CYA.......that might be your problem. There were some complaints it was not raising the CYA to the level it should have in the early year. Other said it worked fine for them so.........who knows what is what :( It has been long enough your level should be were it is going to be with this last batch of CYA you added. My thinking is get some more. Maybe buying it from a pool store *gasp* to get a different brand as the only brand I have been able to fine outside of the pool store has been the Clorox.

Kim:kim:

I started another thread and think I'm going to wait it out. It has taken a week for any add to test, ie first 2 lbs showed up in my test as 15 ppm (something more than 0 but less than 20) a week after it was added, 2nd 2 lbs showed last night as I read "25" which I've been told isn't accurate as the scale on the view tube isn't linear.

That being said, I'll be at 1 week on the remaining 2 / 6 lbs on 9/3. If on 9/3 my CYA doesn't read close to 40 ppm, I'll go to my local pool store and get something else. My source has been a regional discount store but the brand seems to be all over the place "Aquamate". I wonder if the CYA is just lacking in potency..?

I've also been advised that the CYA test for the black dot should be glanced at waist level rather than closely inspected.

I think this is also my flaw, I've been expecting the black dot to vanish even with close inspection.

I guess this is the flaw in visual acuity testing.

Blazin, I've been having similar issues with CYA and I'm so confused about when the black dot is 'no longer visible'. If I look hard enough I'd see it no matter what! I did go to the Taylor website and looked at their pics. I could literally stare at it and NOT see the black dot, but the consensus here seems to be to 'glance' at it and see if you can still see the dot.

Ack! Not sure I trust my eyes, stares or glances!

A few weeks ago, I put in 5 sockfuls of CYA and waited several days to test. I did finally realize that you are supposed to round up on CYA but still never seemed to get past 30. But now I think it might just be because I was looking too hard. I'm going to test again tonight and use the 'glance' technique. I will definitely need to raise mine now that I'm finally out of the 28 day start up period and the SWG is now hooked up. But I was afraid of overdoing it before.

Hopefully I can get some consistent results!!

If u guys have the Taylor test tube that has the cya test also with it try that and compare. I just did and I’m confident in it being 70 now. The dot is sharper in that test tube. It’s like u either see it or don’t see it. The tube with the kit we all use here is fades in and out. I don’t know. I struggle also with it. All I know is that it’s in a 60 -80 range for sure and I float my target higher anyway in case we get hot days so I don’t get home and my fc is low so I never ever drop below the target for 60-80 anyway.

Update - I tested today a day early and see 30 ppm on the TF-100, no issues with "glance" testing. 30 boom right on the line. I suspect it's taking a week for this CYA to register for whatever reason. Very very odd, but lesson learned.

I wonder how much impact method and filter type has, I recently added 4lbs. (HTH Brand) using the sock method (actually used 2 socks suspended on separate strings and it worked really well because they kept beating against each other so I didn't have to knead/massage them much) and got exactly what was expected within 24 hours and it hasn't increased since. That method puts it all directly into the water, not through the filter.

I wonder if larger particles get through a t-shirt and since it's going directly into the filter from the skimmer you have to wait for it to dissolve through the cartridge pleats.

Update: we're open and the yards coming together nicely!!

NatacTx.jpg

That looks great.. I think you made a lot of smart choices in your build. I really like the shale grey. We were very close to going with that but picked the Champlain Grey instead because our house was Grey and thought IMG_20190420_195724.jpgit might be to much grey.. IMG_20180825_181248.jpg

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
We let our landscaping bring in the colors because we've got gray, on white, on gray.

We like it though!
That looks great.. I think you made a lot of smart choices in your build. I really like the shale grey. We were very close to going with that but picked the Champlain Grey instead because our house was Grey and thought View attachment 100829it might be to much grey.. View attachment 100827

Well, I'm happy to say they are out fixing the issue. Checked the entire area and are going beyond the effected area to ensure they don't pull away again... Maybe they really did just have a bad time last year? Or maybe they know the history and are shaking over legal troubles...

FRSin7g.jpg

Reactions: Arizonarob
Make sure they don't scratch your new plaster when they try to get the debris out of the pool. The knuckleheads who repaired my coping, decided to push a big piece of coping all the way across the pool with the skimmer net.

• Angry
Reactions: kimkats
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.