Foam Board Install Question - Flush with concrete paver?

Nathan8372

May 13, 2020
South Texas
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Intex Krystal Clear
Hello All,

I will be posting build pictures of our progress very soon. I have question about the foam board installation. Do the column pavers need to be dug in, flush with the level ground or are they supposed to sit level on top of the ground so the foam board butts up against the paver? @kimkats
foam.jpg

Flush with ground like your illustration. Extremely flush. If the pavers are bearing more weight than the ground between them they will cause minor wall buckling.

Side note: Tape the joints where the foam cove butt into each other to avoid liner bulging through there.

Reactions: Nathan8372
I did exactly like your picture, they are dug in and level with the board... I used 3/4 foam and had the paver about half way on the board to allow some compaction of the foam...

If your track will not be on the foam the paver needs to be exactly level with the track

Also, use solid 4x8x16 blocks from lowes as the 2 inch ones will break :)

@cowboycasey

The benefit of 4" blocks for traditional steel wall AGP's is controversial. They are not especially weight bearing in this application like they are on a softside pool so they should not break.

It is a habit as there is only 1 type pool that does not need it... a round track metal wall pool you can use smaller blocks... on all the other pools it will snap a 2 inch block in half...

Any oval pool and any Intex type pool, so really the only one that is not needed will not hurt by using the bigger stronger blocks and that is why I always recommend them no matter what above ground pool is used :)

Reactions: hwy17
It is a habit as there is only 1 type pool that does not need it... a round track metal wall pool you can use smaller blocks... on all the other pools it will snap a 2 inch block in half...

Any oval pool and any Intex type pool, so really the only one that is not needed will not hurt by using the bigger stronger blocks and that is why I always recommend them no matter what above ground pool is used :)
Thanks for your reply - I've got a 52", round, steel wall pool and I bought 12x12x2 concrete pavers from Lowes. So the foam board should sit INSIDE the pool wall and the pavers FLUSH - LEVEL with natural grade as outlined in the install manual, correct? The steel wall should NOT sit on top of the foam board...

I used an overlap liner so I don't have first hand experience, but based on what I know my opinion is that it's well within tolerance and liners are stretchy. Filling on hot sunny day is important. My liner got so stretchy I struggled to deal with the extra material around the circumference, but that was probably 90 with blazing sun and my liner is the thinnest you can buy. My foam has a shiny side which I put facing up and man fitting that foam in there under the sun that day was like working in a solar oven lol.

• Haha
I used an overlap liner so I don't have first hand experience, but based on what I know my opinion is that it's well within tolerance and liners are stretchy. Filling on hot sunny day is important. My liner got so stretchy I struggled to deal with the extra material around the circumference, but that was probably 90 with blazing sun and my liner is the thinnest you can buy. My foam has a shiny side which I put facing up and man fitting that foam in there under the sun that day was like working in a solar oven lol.
Funny story! I'm down here in South Texas and it's supposed to be 90 today, in April! All I can find locally is the XPS pink foam board in 1" - and 2", which is preferred?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I used 1" R-Tech EPS because I'm cheap and don't mind the heel prints, but I know that XPS is more rigid and more popular for this use and haven't heard there's anything wrong with using it.

Between 1" and 2" I think 2" would be the 'safer' choice because that's an inch less concern as far as the beaded liner being to tight. Of course if you somehow end up with too much wall material you'll be cursing it - but a wrinkle of extra material is only a cosmetic problem, better than having the liner pull the wall down. 2" must be like $45+ per board right.

I used 1" R-Tech EPS because I'm cheap and don't mind the heel prints, but I know that XPS is more rigid and more popular for this use and haven't heard there's anything wrong with using it.

Between 1" and 2" I think 2" would be the 'safer' choice because that's an inch less concern as far as the beaded liner being to tight. Of course if you somehow end up with too much wall material you'll be cursing it - but a wrinkle of extra material is only a cosmetic problem, better than having the liner pull the wall down. 2" must be like $45+ per board right.
Close - $38 per sheet!

I used 2" on my oval steel pool a few years back as per it's instructions and there's no signs of stress.

It most certainly does hurt someone's back that's already doing an awful lot of work already and it means digging out twice as much for the blocks.

That's fine if it's necessary but it's very wasteful if there's no reason.

I used 2" on my oval steel pool a few years back as per it's instructions and there's no signs of stress.

It most certainly does hurt someone's back that's already doing an awful lot of work already and it means digging out twice as much for the blocks.

I bought these from Home Depot - I'm installing a 15' round 52" wall pool. HII Recommends these as minimum.
2021-04-08_8-09-24.jpg

Last edited:

All of the pink 1” Xps foam board I found is scored, is that what I should use? I thought it was one solid sheet but it’s scored every foot or so....

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.