Schneida

May 10, 2023
Houston
Our pool was dug last Friday and we’ve had a ton of rain since. They came Saturday morning and put a flash coat of gunite on. Since then working on plumbing and rebar as they can with the weather. It is looking like the end of this or or next before they can do the gunite. Today I noticed this, the flash coating cracking and coming down. Should it be dry before they do this? Will they fill in those voids behind the flash coat? What do I need to know or look for, I don’t want future concerns because of voids in the dirt.

Attachments

• IMG_2028.jpeg
    IMG_2028.jpeg
    720.4 KB · Views: 48
Now chunks of clay and mud are just dropping into the pool from where all this caved. Does this need to be removed before gunite? How do I know it’s not happening around the rest of the perimeter. Oh the stress…

Attachments

• IMG_2038.jpeg
    IMG_2038.jpeg
    898.7 KB · Views: 36
The final Gunite needs to be placed on a substrate that is capable of its support.
Flash coats are intended to keep soil in place during heavy rains so not to end up eroding walls and depositing this on the floor of the pool.
Is the PB aware of the situation and has he advised you of the solution he plans on taking?

Reactions: Schneida
Yes it was an attempt to keep the dig walls from caving in. I have made them aware of the situation but I haven’t heard back yet. Will update when I do but more interested in knowing the correct way to proceed now that this has happened.

In my opinion the correct way to proceed is to remove any loose material including the flash coat along with any built up material that may have collected on the floor of the pool below the cage.
There needs to be a minimum of 3” of clearance from the floor of the pool excavation to the rebar to maintain structural strength with the Gunite.
Its going to be time consuming but have seen this exact situation before corrected properly.

@AQUA~HOLICS has you on correct track. Trust yet verify the PB will be doing it the correct way. Ask him to come out and look at what has happened and his plans on fixing it.

Your PB did the right thing in the flash coat. I am guessing the rain and run off was just too much for it. It can be fixed.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.