Fixing a leaky outlet from a DE Filter

jersey

May 25, 2017
Freehold, NJ
Hi! The outlet pipe coming out of my DE filter (FNS Plus 60 sq. ft) has a slow leak where indicated in the photos. From the parts diagram it looks like the leak is coming from part numbers 28 or 29 where the pipe meets the filter. I'd like to detach the outlet pipe from the filter housing but I don't have a wrench big enough (the diameter is large) and it's too tight to loosen by hand. How would you go about removing the outlet pipe from the filter? Do I need a special wrench? Also, does anyone know if there other ways I can try and diagnose/fix this leak? Thank you!!!

Strap wrench worked to loosen the outlet coupling. Unfortunately I wasn't able to fix the leak with re-tightening it with lube on the threads. Now I can't get it to loosen again. I'll try again after I drain the filter to clean the grids.

You should not have to lube the threads on unions, you can/should lube the o-ring/gasket.
Gasket my be bad, pinched, ect. It looks like an o-ring, so you might be able to get one at the hardware store or big box store its its bad.
When tightening, you should do it by hand, hand tight, then another 1/4, half turn with the wrench

Reactions: jersey
You should not have to lube the threads on unions, you can/should lube the o-ring/gasket.
Gasket my be bad, pinched, ect. It looks like an o-ring, so you might be able to get one at the hardware store or big box store its its bad.
When tightening, you should do it by hand, hand tight, then another 1/4, half turn with the wrench

Thanks blazer58, this is helpful. I incorrectly did lube the threads on the union and I'm hoping I can get it off now once I drain the filter.

After looking at the source of the leak again I think its right where the bulkhead exits the bottom filter tank. I think you are right and I may need an O-Ring (2-137 Buna N 70SH). I think this may be the one at Amazon: Bulkhead O-Ring Replacement FNS Plus Pool and Spa D.E. Filter

My problem is I don't know how to disassemble the bulkhead from the vertical pipe inside the filter so that I can check the bulkhead O-ring. I've searched online and I can't find any videos or guides regarding replacing or installing a bulkhead in this kind of filter.

Is my assumption correct that the bulkhead should just screw out of the pipe inside the filter after I remove the bulkhead coupling? If anyone has any pointers on removing this please let me know. Just trying to avoid breaking anything. Thank you!

Last edited:
I incorrectly did lube the threads on the union and I'm hoping I can get it off now once I drain the filter
It shouldn't hurt anything if its not all removed

Is my assumption correct that the bulkhead should just screw out of the pipe inside the filter after I remove the bulkhead coupling?
I do not have this type of filter, but would also assume it just screws out

Reactions: jersey
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.