First time pool owner

Amber,

Welcome to TFP! Experts are here to help you learn how to care for your pool using TFP methods. It's the simplest, cheapest way to go! Please click the last link in my signature for more information. Also you can check out Pool School on the left. Any questions please fire away! Experts are standing by to help and the sell nothing. They're all just pool enthusiasts that want to help folks like you avoid the pitfalls of pool stores.

Good luck with the new home and pool!

Chris

Reactions: azlawhorn
Thank you everyone. The previous owners used pristine blue and we wanted to use it too but I was reading on here and it’s seems like people don’t really think it works like they say and it is also expensive. My mom has been telling me to go with chlorine tablets and shockit(?) but I am looking in here and it said something about bleach?! Lol it’s all I confusing!

but I am looking in here and it said something about bleach?
Correct! Unless you invest in a salt water generator (SWG), regular bleach (aka pool chlorine) is the way to go. Those bags of shock and stuff from the pool store add either calcium or stabilizer to the water as a by-product. Before you know it, those levels are too high. Bleach does not do that.. Just make sure it's regular bleach. NOT scented, splashless, or with any fancy fabric enhancers or polymers. Stay away from Clorox brand. Just like a pet, the pool needs to be fed a little each day (bleach). Easy stuff.

Read our ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry and make sure you have a TF-100 test kit! Test Kits Compared

Amber - start a thread in Just Getting Started sub forum.

You do not want to use Pristine Blue, and you do not want to use solid chlorine for daily maintenance. Both are not sustainable for a clean, sanitary pool.

Reactions: azlawhorn