First Test Kit Results

Just be careful what kind of bleach you use. Make sure it’s plain, or use their “chlorinating liquid” which just means plain bleach.
Yes. I used Chlorinating Liquid and it's already starting to lighten or kill algae. 😃 I'm so excited! I was beyond overwhelmed and intimidated with this process. I've learned so much in the last week and the last 24 hours. I do have some leaves sitting at the bottom of the pool. I also just brushed and skimmed. I'm scheduled to check chlorine in another couple hours. I'm going review my next steps and SLAM Process again.
Kenya, for someone who didn't get it, you SURE sound like someone who gets it. :)

We're here if you need.
I've come a long way in the last two weeks. This pool has worked my last nerve. I was literally crying last week because I was so frustrated and didn't want to deal with it. I finally just pulled myself together and realized that I would have to maintain my pool to what I was expecting. I started watching YouTube videos and someone in the comments mentioned Trouble Free Pools. From reading the forums, to understanding test kits, to ordering test kits and now getting real samples 😃 I'm about in awe myself. I'm so excited for my pool to be clean and balanced. I would have never been able to do this without this site 😍😍 Thank You! Thank You to everyone❣️Screenshot_20240320_132538_Gallery.jpgScreenshot_20240320_132528_Gallery.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Still following the SLAM Proces. Water is continuing to improve. Just did new tests and I have some FC chlorine so followed the process and added the next dosage based on the pool app. I'll continue to check. I'm hoping I can vacuum later this evening if the deep end clears a little more so I can see the bottom. I brushed again and just reading and re-reading to gain understanding. I think the big difference that can tell is that my pool techs were just shocking the pool and leaving but not really testing or doing anything similar to the SLAM method. I also don't think they were really brushing so the shock never really killed all the algae and once the heavy rain hit it immediately turned green. Do I need to do anything in preparation of heavy rain once I finish the SLAM process?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240320_172819_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20240320_172819_Gallery.jpg
    162.5 KB · Views: 16
  • Screenshot_20240320_173456_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20240320_173456_Gallery.jpg
    693 KB · Views: 16
Last edited:
Pool techs cannot follow the SLAM process. It would cost you too much.

I assume 'heavybrain' means heavy rain? Rain should have no effect on your pool water chemistry unless it displaces a large portion of the pool due to overflow. And then most of the overflow is the rain water.

You must not have any flow into the pool from the surrounding yard. That is a drainage problem, not a pool problem.

I think the big difference that can tell is that my pool techs were just shocking the pool and leaving but not really testing
We call it 'dump and pray'. And yeah.

Everytime it rained all my friends with pools went green. Then they'd all spend a bunch at the pool store. I faught against a pool, hard, because I didn't want the headache too.

I never had any of that and was upset I delayed the pool. We'll get you there too.

OK. I just did my second round of SLAM testing. FC has increased from 1ppm to 6.5ppm and TA is now 70. pH increased from 7.2 to 7.5. I have this shortage for CH Calcium Hardness but I don't know if I am supposed to fix this during the SLAM process. What chemical am I supposed to use and where would I get it. Pool looks much better but still not clear on the deeper side to see the floor to vacuum. I can try and just pick up what I can or vacuum first thing in the morning. I'll take another SLAM test for the overnight results.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240320_193548.jpg
    Screenshot_20240320_193548.jpg
    111 KB · Views: 6
  • Screenshot_20240320_193819.jpg
    Screenshot_20240320_193819.jpg
    173.9 KB · Views: 6
Last edited:
For now, just test your FC and focus on that. For your CYA of 40, your FC should be at 16 for a proper SLAM. 6.5 is better than 1.0, but its not going to be enough to clear up your pool in a timely manner. Get it up to 16, test multiple times a day and add chlorine anytime its less than 16.

Keep that up until your water is crystal clear, then we can focus on ending the SLAM and the other numbers. BTW, Calcium Hardness Increaser can be found at Walmart, Lowes, Home Depot, etc. You don't need much, but hold off on that until you kill the algae.

For now, just test your FC and focus on that. For your CYA of 40, your FC should be at 16 for a proper SLAM. 6.5 is better than 1.0, but its not going to be enough to clear up your pool in a timely manner. Get it up to 16, test multiple times a day and add chlorine anytime its less than 16.

Keep that up until your water is crystal clear, then we can focus on ending the SLAM and the other numbers. BTW, Calcium Hardness Increaser can be found at Walmart, Lowes, Home Depot, etc. You don't need much, but hold off on that until you kill the algae.
OK. Thank You! Yes I just remembered that SLAM FC target is 16 so I'll continue to focus on that. Should I add more Chlorine to raise it or continue to keep testing every 3 hours and add then. I've just been adding exactly what the PoolMath app says. I looked at pool chemical products in the store earlier today but maybe I missed that CH one. No problem....just wanted to make sure.

Reactions: Ignoramus
Good Morning. Still working on my SLAM. FC increased to 16 last night and stayed until this morning. The pool is still pretty cloudy. I tested and results below. I'm trying to vacuum my pool but I don't understand how to connect the vacuum to the skimmer. I don't have one of those caps and when I look inside the holes are right across from each other. I unscrewed a cap but now can't twist it back on. I saw to turn off drain to give more suction but neither of my skimmers look like they are swirling water. They just sit there. I have a text out to my pool builder to ask about skimmer vacuum process.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240321_094002_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20240321_094002_Gallery.jpg
    523.8 KB · Views: 19
  • Screenshot_20240321_094024_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20240321_094024_Gallery.jpg
    653.8 KB · Views: 22
  • Screenshot_20240321_094104_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20240321_094104_Gallery.jpg
    331.2 KB · Views: 21
  • Screenshot_20240321_073807.jpg
    Screenshot_20240321_073807.jpg
    149.3 KB · Views: 21
A Skimmer plate goes over the skimmer basket so the basket catches any large debris and keeps it out of the pump basket. They only make a few sizes so its easy to know when ordering that the 6.5 inch won't fit your 8.25 inch basket. (Etc etc).

The old skool way was to shove the vac hose in the skimmer hole and suck it all to the pump basket. I don't recall seeing a skimmer like yours, (not that I've seen them all) and i'm not sure it'll work without a skimmer plate.

Keep us posted with what the PB says/does.

FC is job numero uno. The other steps are important too, but manage FC no matter what in the meantime.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thanks. Pool guy called and explained the manual pool vacuum but I need a little more help so will work with him on the proper settings. He did say it's supposed to go directly in but it didn't fit snug. For now I'll continue focus on FC. Just took another chlorine test. It's still 16 so will continue to check to add the recommended dosage to keep at 16.

Last edited:
For the vacuum I ended up screwing that one piece back in place and the piece that was directly across pulls out and there's a hole at the bottom of the skimmer that you connect the vacuum hose directly to. The equipment apparently has a direct line to the vacuum and has a leaf/debris filter.

Last edited:
If you think the vacuum thing is complicated you can look into a robot like a maytronic S200.
You are doing great, keep at it. On the picture of you equipment you seam to have a mineral cartridge system. Make sure you remove the cartridges and leave it empty. You can have your water tested for metals at the pool store, just dont pay attention to the other test results and let us know the results.

Reactions: kenyanelson
Thank You! I was trying to vacuum based on the SLAM process. There's just some leaves at the bottom of the pool. There's not a lot but I didn't know if it would affect the chlorine. How long does it take for the water to get clear? Do I just keep the FC maintained at 16. I'm worried because it's starting to rain and expected the next two days. Typically my pool turns green every time we have heavy rain. Want to see how it does with me testing and having liquid chlorine and not just the shock that the pool tech was using.

Typically my pool turns green every time we have heavy rain. Want to see how it does with me testing and having liquid chlorine and not just the shock that the pool tech was using.
Rain should have no effect on your pool water chemistry unless it displaces a large portion of the pool due to overflow. And then most of the overflow is the rain water.

Initially I never thought I needed a vacuum because I purchased an inflor system. I thought that was like a vacuum.
There was a hype about infloor cleaning systems but it didnt pass the test of time. You need something that scrubs the floor and walls, either manually or automatic(robot). In the future you can convert the infloor to floor returns with no problem. But that is later on.

I'll probably buy something in the fall if I don't care for this manual process
Protip: (when it's warmer) manual vac from in the pool. With swim goggles you can see 100 times better than from the patio and it's 95% swimming and 5% work. I've found with my ears just below the surface, it's sensory deprivation tank like. It's so peaceful and serene and you can't hear the kids fighting and screaming in the house and it became Daddy quiet time for me.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support