First Pool. First Quote. Equipment Help!

MunkyButtr

Apr 24, 2021
Wilton Manors, FL
Hey all,

I just got my first quote from a pool builder that has done quite a few, very nice, pools in my area down here in the Fort Lauderdale area. They come highly recommended, and have great reviews. It's a husband and wife team, and I've had great interactions with both. The husband stopped by to check out my yard, and all but read my mind with regard to what I was looking for. I was hoping for Pentair equipment, but their proposal has Jandy equipment, and what seems to be very basic equipment. I was wondering if I could get some feedback and thoughts, and questions I should be asking them. The details of their proposal include:

Pool Size: 13' x 26' $33,800.00
Machine size: small machine $3,200.00
Depth: 3'6" to 5'
Deck type: 6" x 12" tumbled travertine
Deck setting type: well compacted paver sand
Deck sq ft: 600 sq ft
Deck per sq ft cost: $10.00 $6.000.00
Pool interior finish: Standard Diamond Brite
Pool coping: Deck as coping
Lights: 1 Jandy Large Watercolor LED
Filter: Jandy CS150
Pump: Jandy 3/4 HP
Skimmer: 1
Return lines: Minimum of 3
Dedicated vac line: Yes with lock
Controls: Duel Time Clock
Electric Hookup to existing service, Permit fees, Engineering included. $43,000.00
Optional Salt Chlorinator: Jandy Fsoft 1400 salt chlorinator with mineral $2,300.00

So, this pool is for a house I plan on turning into a short term rental. I know a lot of people on here are proponents of cartridge filters, but I'm leaning towards a DE filter, given the fact that there will be a number of different people, presumably, using the pool. I'm also thinking of automation, even though it's a basic pool and no spa. I'm sort of leaning towards pebbletec versus Diamond Brite, and verbally, I was told about $7,000 extra. I'd also like auto leveling. For the pump, they just say Jandy 3/4 HP, but I'm not sure which pump, they seem to have many. I'm not sure what the Duel Time Clock is for the controls. I'm hoping 1 skimmer is enough as I have quite a few trees close to where the pool is going.

I would love to hear some of yours guys feedback and thoughts, and questions I should be asking the builder.

Thanks!

MunkyButtr

I think your pool demonstrates the huge amount of options and difference you can have based on what you want to spend and how you wish things to function.
Jandy is good equipment. You will find people have preferences - just like buying a car.
The automation system if you elect to get one will replace the timer system proposed. If you stay with Jandy, then request a iAquaLink RS-6 system. This gives you a little extra capability for future needs. This will give you wireless control via phone or PC. You can add a panel unit if you think you need it but probably not If you do not want renters messing with it.
You do not have a spa but do you plan to have a heater?
Since this is a potential rental I would go with the cartridge filter. Get the larger size like a 400sq ft filter. It will be much easier to maintain.
Also suggest you go with a SWCG to make chlorination easy but do not get the mineral system. That will only add problems in the future.
The SWCG will make life easier with a rental property that it is properly chlorinated. However, you will need to test the pool for sure every week to ensure it is properly balanced.
I like having 2 skimmers. Have them diagonal from each other.
You need the variable speed pump by Jandy. As you say, there are multiple models so get specifics.
Will you have any type of water feature such as a wall with water flowing down or possibly scuppers?

Thanks for the quick response!

I'm definitely interested in a SWGC, but duly noted re the cartridge filter, and will certainly consider that.

I do plan to have a heater, just not from the get go because the house doesn't have natural gas access, so I'll have to arrange for a propane tank. The builder suggested going without at first, and adding a heater later.

I hadn't considered any water features, as none really interested me. Is it something I should consider?

M,

Congrats! This is a big step. You'll get a lot of suggestions from others on equipment so I'll keep my comments on that to a minimum:
  • It's great you have a builder with good reputation and you get along with them well. You still need to see the contract they will want you to sign. It will almost certainly require modifications to be a fair to both parties document. Things to look for include a very clear warranty. What are the criteria for when it applies. Also look closely at:
    • Release of liens for sub contractors prior to final payment
    • Payment schedule that approximates work in place with a 10% retainage prior to performance test.
    • Payments are based on milestones and quality.
    • Scope of work. Who does permits who removes debris. Think about all the construction activities. If you are expecting something to be done by the builder get it in the contract. Details matter.
    • What are your obligations for start up and what do they do.Insurance. What level is covered and can you be "named insured". Also ask what their experience factor is for their workman's comp policy. Generally anything below 1.0 is good. A safe contractor is a great indicator of quality.
  • If you go with Jandy swg stay away from the models that have a mineral cartridge. I prefer a 3rd party like Circupool because they usually have a better warranty and they have a great reputation here.
  • I love the look of travertine when it's new but unless you get a very high priced version it doesn't hold up well. See if they have a pool a couple years old you can look at.
  • Consider increasing depth to 4' and 6' min.
  • Ask for a stamped structural design. Shouldn't cost more than a couple hundred and this way you have dimensions plus any specs the engineer required for structural integrity. You can spot check items or get an inspector to verify.
  • If it's shotcrete get core samples.
I hope this helps.

Chris

I hadn't considered any water features, as none really interested me. Is it something I should consider?
This is really a personal preference but if you wish to create a waterfall sound or just have a nice feature to view. It is something that you could automated and would not need a separate pump for your single pool setup.

MB,

I would want 4 returns...
Two skimmers.
A VS pump.. (A must if you go with a SWCG)
A much larger cartridge filter so you don't have to clean it but once or twice a year.
An automation system
If going Jandy, I would get the Fusion 1400 with the mineral cartridge.. Just never install the cartridge..

What is it with Florida pools and dinky little filters????

I have two rental houses with pools.. I could not do it if they were not saltwater pools with automation systems and VS pumps. In one of them I installed mini-pebble.. A great decision.. The other one I cheap'd out and install standard white plaster.. The worst pool decision I have ever made..

Thanks,

Jim R.

Hey Jim,
Question-what would be the point of the mineral if I don’t install the cartridge? I don’t see a Fusion 1400 on the website. Is that only for the chlorinator? I was gonna go with the AquaPure 1400.

A couple more questions-should I consider going without the vac line and getting a robot cleaner? Seems like there’s quite a few fans of robot cleaners on here.

Lastly-I thought I saw a post somewhere on here about deck drains, but now I can’t find it of course. Should consider getting a deck drain?

Thanks again everyone!

-Mark

Mark,

I like the housing that the Fusion soft comes in... It has the SWCG but unfortunately comes with a mineral cartridge... We are not fans of the mineral cartridges, that is why we suggest that you not install the cartridge.

You won't save anything by not adding a dedicated Vac line.. So I would just let the pool builder install it.. Just to be clear this is a Vacuum line and not a pressure side cleaner line. I have three pools and three robots.. I love them.. That said, they are not for everyone. I dapple with my pools all the time, so it is no problem for me to take it out or throw it in when needed. If you are the kind of person that is going to have a pool service and not do anything to your pool but swim in it.. Then a robot is not for you.

You will need deck drains if you have no place for the rain water to flow away from your pool. At my house, deck drains are a must, as my tiny backyard is all deck or pool and there is just no place for the water to go. If the decking can be sloped so that rain water flows away from the pool, then you don't need deck drains.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
MB,

I would want 4 returns...
Two skimmers.
A VS pump.. (A must if you go with a SWCG)
A much larger cartridge filter so you don't have to clean it but once or twice a year.
An automation system
If going Jandy, I would get the Fusion 1400 with the mineral cartridge.. Just never install the cartridge..

What is it with Florida pools and dinky little filters????

I have two rental houses with pools.. I could not do it if they were not saltwater pools with automation systems and VS pumps. In one of them I installed mini-pebble.. A great decision.. The other one I cheap'd out and install standard white plaster.. The worst pool decision I have ever made..

Thanks,

Jim R.
Please tell me more on WHY standard white plaster was such a bad call...

Please tell me more on WHY standard white plaster was such a bad call...

D,

Half of the problem is the plaster install itself.. Done when too cold and the new plaster did not adhere to the old plaster as well as it should. This caused some calcium nodules..

The other reason is that the white plaster just seems to show staining more than pebble plaster.

To be clear I can't say my pool care is perfect, but I use the same pool maintenance routine on all three pools.. The two with mini-pebble plaster show no staining or any plaster issues at all. The one with the standard white plaster is the only one to have problems.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Some thoughts I have:

1. You mention adding a heater - obviously gas since you then talk about installing a propane tank. Based on the size of your pool and location in FL, you should seriously consider adding an electric heat pump. The long term cost to heat will be far less than propane, and the heater will work great in your location. Get the biggest they offer (should be around 140K). It will heat faster, run less, and last longer.
  2. Don't do 3'6" in the shallow end - go to 4'. You'll be happier in the long run. Also, since you don't have a deep end, ask for a channel drain instead of the standard drains. Folks hit their feet on the standard drain, and robots get hung up on them.
  3. I really wish we had removed the suction line. It will never be used in my pool, and is just another cap sticking into the pool that folks can hit while in the pool. Get a robot for cleaning.
  4. Make sure the pump they supply is variable speed.
  5. Add automation. This will let you run the pump at a low speed most of the time, saving a ton of $$ each month. With automation and a heater, you can automate having the pump ramp up to the necessary speed to supply the heater, and then ramp back down when the set point is reached.
  6. Definitely get auto fill/drain here in FL.

Lastly-I thought I saw a post somewhere on here about deck drains, but now I can’t find it of course. Should consider getting a deck drain?
We had a channel drain and it worked great. It was located between the patio and the pool deck. Water drained with a slight slope of the patio and deck then it ran out to either side of the enclosure. It was only about 2" wide so barely noticeable and flush with the pavers so never a trip hazard.

Chris

I was actually talking about a channel drain as the main drain at the bottom of the pool. We have the same type of drain for our pavers.

Last edited:
Thank you PoolBrews for the additional info! I was considering a gas heater, but was more recently wondering if a heat pump would be more appropriate. The pump on the proposal is not variable speed, so i had them quote me for a variable speed pump. I'll ask about the main pool drain and see if they plan on doing a channel drain. I asked about drainage for the deck, and they said they plan to have it graded to have water channeled away from the house and pool.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.