Experimenting...

I was thinking you could dispense with the bag and once primed you could use a siphon effect out of a 1 Gal jug. Poke a hole in a lid and feed the tubing into the bottom of the jug or whatever container.

BTW I seeing the home brew crowd has lots of fun gizmos that might apply here... dang I keep wandering into other websites. ;)

**explaining new microbrewery hobby to wife**
Well you see honey, Somebody was going away for the weekend and needed a chlorine dripper for their pool. Aaaaaaaaaand now I’m a brewer. Loooool

• Haha
Reactions: DanF and Casey
Ok so the pinhole idea is not going to work. I took a gallon of milk and filled it with water. I sealed the cap good and made one hole in the bottom with a thumb tack. At first it was a steady stream but went to a fast drip within 5 minutes. I figured it would slow down enough once the vaccuum pressure started sucking the bottle in. At an hour and a half the drip was down to roughly 2 per second and 1/4 gallon was gone. We needed one drip per 2.8 seconds so it wasnt even close. A fine needle hole would slow it down more, but probably not 6 times more.

Back to the drawing board. We could buy a bunch of stuff from amazon but the original point was to slap something together using stuff already laying around the house. Realistically, it might be better to put an aquarium like pump on a timer and program it to add a 1/4 gallon worth every 12 hours.

I left the cap off my bottle with it above the water line. I poked a pretty decent sized hole in the bottom with a small nail. Although it dripped a steady stream outside of the pool, I found that the gallon was still pretty full when I checked it today. I thought with chlorine being heavier than water it would be empty when I got home but it was still full.

OK, ya'll.. so we are back to trying to do this with just what is on hand.. I have to say I have lots of junk in my garage to try lots of different things. As they say everything at TFP is based on science, so lets head to the chalk board first.
I'm thinking setting up a siphon might be the better than trying to let it drip out a hole in the bottom of the jug. The liquid draining from a hole in the jug will slow down as the weight of the liquid lessens, and Van der Waals forces or surface tension may even cause it to stop if the hole is small enough. And if the lid is left on, the lower air pressure of the air space above the liquid will create enough suction to stop the flow out the hole. Whereas a siphon will drain at a constant velocity (flow) based on the relative height of the surface of the liquid in the jug compared to the height of the opening of the tube. Per Bernoulli's equation we get:
13ca97134122ff268ead3f4c0c24d101e50f4183

where v is velocity, g is gravity, and h is the difference in height between the top of the liquid and opening of the tube. So much for theory.. let's make one. As I proof of concept I used an old chlorine jug with water and a clear tube from my box of random tubes from the garage.

20190729_225642.jpg
I created a makeshift flow control clamp with some silverware from the kitchen and a binder clip from the office drawer. The binder clip alone did not provide enough surface area to clamp the tube. I was going to use Popsicle sticks but I wasn't finished with the one I was still eating.
20190729_225658.jpg
I got a steady constant drip and I think with some fussing I can regulate it. By dripping into a measuring cup and dividing the volume filled by the time to fill it, I should get a pretty reliable rate of dispensing. And using a longer tube to put the jug higher up (bigger "h"), should make the effect of the flow difference caused by the height of the bottle negligible.

Will that do it for ya? :mrgreen:

Last edited:
Reactions: Newdude
I'm thinking setting up a siphon might be the better than trying to let it drip out a hole in the bottom of the jug

I think the simplicity of a direct drip is by far the best way to go. No pump or timer to fail. I had always thought a siphon would be the best (thanks for the scientific break down ?‍? ). I would imagine you started your test siphon the old fashion way by sucking on the tube. In my youth It took me a few mouthfuls of gas to perfect a good way to get a siphon going without shedding a tear but even with my acquired skills I would not want to be sucking on a hose full of chlorine :puker:. How would you reliably get the siphon going :scratch:.

I keep telling my kids that science is one of the very few things in school that will come in handy is everyday life. They can read all they want, and enjoy it, but Huck Finn, the Algonquin Indians and 95% of what else they are learning in middle school will never come up in real life. Sweet job Guzzy !!

Reactions: Casey

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
... How would you reliably get the siphon going :scratch:.
Ah.. lessons of my youth... I have more than once ran my tank dry and siphoned gas from a willing donor. "Don't suck the gas all they way to your mouth, just far enough to get it over the 'hump'." , my Daddy used to say. Then put your finger over the end of the tube until you get it into the container. Boy would he laugh if I miscalculated and sucked up a mouthful. Lesson learned: unleaded gas tastes worse than leaded.
OR
Lower the tube into the jug and let it fill with liquid, you don't even have to lower the whole tube, just enough to get past the bottom of the jug I would say. Then engage the clamp. that would create a suction stop in the tube and keep it from flowing back in the jug. Then put the lower end in the tube in place and release the clamp.. if liquid in the tube is below the "siphon point" of the liquid in the jug, it should continue on out the tube.
OR
use a Turkey baster from the OTHER drawer in the kitchen to draw the liquid over the hump! They sell siphon hoses with little squeeze pumps and check valves in them at the auto parts store.. but I'm trying to McGuyver this with stuff from around the house. Use a clear tube so you can see where the fluid is and you won't suck it into the baster.

I set a siphon to drain my pool every year when the rains start. I run a garden hose to the drain clean out on the side of the house. I found out the clean out is just at the right height and that with the friction in the hose it will loose its siphon just when the water is a little lower that regular level in the pool. In this case I get the siphon going by shoving the end of the hose into a return to fill the hose with water and flush out the bubbles. No sucking is involved.;)

Last edited:
Plus, with a small clear tube, you can see exactly where the fluid is. Anything over halfway will push itself through. With a garden hose, not so much.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.