SW PA
Pool Size
Surface
Fiberglass
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Jandy Aquapure 1400
I'm going out of town tomorrow with my son n his girlfriend to Sandusky Ohio Cedar Point for the weekend. I will need to chlorinate the pool slowly and I started thinking... I wonder if I can do this by suspending a gallon jug of 10% in the water. So I grabbed a half gallon jug of 10%, punched roughly 5 holes in the top half, filled with pool water, left the cap off above the water line and tied it to my telescopic pole and put it in the water. I'm not sure how well this will work over 2 days but I'm going to give it a try. I have the pump running at full speed right now. I may knock it down to the low setting tomorrow before I leave with a 3/4th full jug to get me through the weekend. It's going to be hot with highs in the mid 80s.

Here's a video of my little experiment.

What about using your pole set up with pucks in a hairnet or sock ? Or is that too slow ?

What about using your pole set up with pucks in a hairnet or sock ? Or is that too slow ?
My CYA is 50 right now. I dont want it any higher and with our season coming to a close at the end of August, I dont want to do a drain/refill to bring it down.

Reactions: MyAZPool
You might consider investing in some cal-hypo 3” tablets (they do exist) and using that in a chemical floater. The increase in CH would be negligible and easily offset with a few PA rainstorms but the benefit is a more compact form of chlorine. A 50lbs bucket (years worth) would run around $100.

You might consider investing in some cal-hypo 3” tablets (they do exist) and using that in a chemical floater. The increase in CH would be negligible and easily offset with a few PA rainstorms but the benefit is a more compact form of chlorine. A 50lbs bucket (years worth) would run around $100.
Yea I think I'm just going to do this and see how I fair. Thanks though.

Ok. Got another one. Suspend the gallon upside downin the air. Poke one pin hole in the cap. There are roughly 91k drops in a gallon. If you drop once every 2.4 seconds you will have 60 hours (2.5 days) of drips. If it comes out slower than one drip per 2.4 seconds with just the cap hole then poke another pin hole in the bottle. Or as many as you need.

Reactions: Lskul60

Where do you see those for that price? When I Google it I see something for $180 on Amazon or just granular (or it shows tri chlor tabs and not cal hypo). Thanks!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
That much concentrated chlorine would destroy the net, probably end up with pucks on the pool floor. It wouldn't do the pole much good either.
I did something like this last year successfully when I had new plaster and wanted to use up some pucks. I wanted to raise FC & CYA and any lowering of pH would also be helpful. I put the pucks in a floater and the floater in the net, in order to keep the pucks away from the fresh pool walls. The net survived just fine, probably because the pucks weren't touching it.

Where do you see those for that price? When I Google it I see something for $180 on Amazon or just granular (or it shows tri chlor tabs and not cal hypo). Thanks!

Sorry, $160 for 55lbs.

I have seen it lower at the end of the season and, of course, if you have any rewards dollars, that helps too. Still, a bucket that size would last for years if all one needed to do was use them as a vacationing chlorine source. If that’s what one needs, then it’s probably worth the effort to store them and use them.

Reactions: Poolmama! and Casey
Ok. Got another one. Suspend the gallon upside downin the air. Poke one pin hole in the cap. There are roughly 91k drops in a gallon. If you drop once every 2.4 seconds you will have 60 hours (2.5 days) of drips. If it comes out slower than one drip per 2.4 seconds with just the cap hole then poke another pin hole in the bottle. Or as many as you need.
you would also have to poke a hole in the bottom (witch would be at the top) to allow the pressure to release. But a gravity feed with the right size orifice should do it.. essentially a drip IV

Yes and im thinking that the cap may not want to puncture nicely so the neck of the bottle may be better for a tiny pin hole. The main drawback i see possible is when the jug is half full it may drain slower than when it had the full gallon weight forcing it out. But yeah. One drip every 2.4 seconds would get her close enough.

Casey, any chance a case of beer would make a neighbor want to dump a half gallon in each morning ?

My husband could do it. I just wanted to mess around to see if I could maintain the chlorine in the pool. LOL

Then the redneck engineer in me salutes you miss. Carry on.
Thanks Newdude. I'm always up for a challenge to see what works n what doesn't work. I'll let you know tomorrow morning what my levels are and as soon as I get back what they are. I'll be gone all day Friday, Saturday and Sunday. I'll test it Monday morning.

I'm sure my plan wont be anything to write home about. I'm just messing around right now. Someday I may look into the stenner pump. I just checked my FC and I'm at 13 right now.

Reactions: Teald024

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.