Draining the pool help

skos007

Apr 21, 2019
Dallas
I need to drain my pool for repairs (has not ran in over a year).

It is an in ground gunite pool. I have a backwash position with a hayward de filter. I am replacing the salt mod, controller as well as the filters. I would like to drain it using the backwash mode.

Any tips or tricks to this?

If you plan to drain it all, then the best bet is to rent or buy a sump pump...

Pool pumps are not really designed to drain a pool... Once the water gets below the skimmer you'll have to use the main drain and that assumes you have a working main drain.

If you do use the multiport valve on your filter, I suggest that you use the "Waste" position.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Welcome to the forum!
It is not advisable to drain a pool with your pool pump. As the water level drops losing prime is very possible and the pump can be damaged.
Rent or purchase a sump pump. Home Depot rents higher powered ones. Or you can purchase a lower powered one from Harbor Freight or via Amazon.
Draining a pool has risks. Depending on water table level your pool can 'pop' out of the ground. Plaster is not meant to be dry so it can fail with direct sunlight and heat. So be aware of those risks.
I suggest you read ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry and consider reviewing the entire Pool School eBook.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.