phlight

Bronze Supporter
Jun 18, 2013
NJ
50 year old gunite pool
estimated 30k gallons
Sand filter
Chlorinator

I can see the bottom of the pool in the shallow end (4') but not in the deep (8')
Should I just put the safety cover on it, drain it, clean it or something else?

As you can see tile is falling apart/leaking and as a result the water level goes below the skimmers. For the work that is needed in the spring I figure we'd need to drain the pool anyways so I'm inclined to leave it as a mess and just close the pool. I'm all ears. Thanks in advance!

Attachments

• green monster 1 of 2.png
    green monster 1 of 2.png
    438.5 KB · Views: 19
50 year old gunite pool
estimated 30k gallons
Sand filter
Chlorinator

I can see the bottom of the pool in the shallow end (4') but not in the deep (8')
Should I just put the safety cover on it, drain it, clean it or something else?

As you can see tile is falling apart/leaking and as a result the water level goes below the skimmers. For the work that is needed in the spring I figure we'd need to drain the pool anyways so I'm inclined to leave it as a mess and just close the pool. I'm all ears. Thanks in advance!
You got some serious damage there. What’s your long term plans for it? Refurbish it or fill it in? Do your best not to let the water level get high enough to leak and if it’s below the skimmers to do that, then it may be best to close the pool and address it after winter.

You got some serious damage there. What’s your long term plans for it? Refurbish it or fill it in? Do your best not to let the water level get high enough to leak and if it’s below the skimmers to do that, then it may be best to close the pool and address it after winter.
Agreed on it being in rough shape. I've gotten two informal quotes of 40-45k which I had no idea was a possibility it could be so high. We still want to keep the pool but that's a tough pill to swallow. One contractor walked around the coping tapping each section with a golf club for a sound test which many failed.

Agreed on it being in rough shape. I've gotten two informal quotes of 40-45k which I had no idea was a possibility it could be so high.

It is not high given todays costs - new plaster, tile and coping, maybe bond beam repairs, and maybe new deck - will run in that area depending on the finishes you choose.

It is a 50 year old hole in the ground that needs a complete refurbishment.

Reactions: HermanTX
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.