Doheny's Discovery, S200, Active20, Triton owners club

I have the exact same question. Margaret told me to put it in some sort of waterproof container, but I don't have any good ideas. My ideal plug is out near the pool in a flower bed...would allow me to avoid the cord laying across high traffic area of decking.

I'd like to keep the control box out there in or near the flower bed and set up my S300 for 3 times per week cleaning.

Anyone have a great solution for this?

Seems like you're looking for something like THIS. I'd just measure to make sure the power supply fits.

For those S200+-Active 20/30/30i owners with the caddy...can you live without it and for those without the caddy, so you wish you had it?

Anyone want to help me make my final decision? It’s all coming down to the Active 20 or Active 30 for the caddy. For the desert, we’re getting 100+ degree temps this week and I’m ordering my robot shortly. I worry about critter bites (scorpions mainly) and finding shade for the controller-I think it might be ideal for the caddy, but is it just ok to fish out the robot? Does the cord need to be rolled up and do you roll it on the floor or do the shoulder-arm roll-up?

Found the name for the ‘bot: ‘Boffo

Here is a picture from right after opening this spring (a few weeks ago) and after our Active 20 had made a few passes. I ran it for three 2-hour cycles and the pool looked quite good. I had never paid attention or noticed the clean paths it creates if the pool is very dirty. The items remaining in the path get swooshed into the path by the robot's water movement. That's not as evident when the pool just has a normal debris load. I continue to appreciate it's capabilities and the lack of effort it takes on my part to get the results. It's also a good example of how clear water can be from using a fine mesh winter cover.

For those S200+-Active 20/30/30i owners with the caddy...can you live without it and for those without the caddy, so you wish you had it?

Anyone want to help me make my final decision? It’s all coming down to the Active 20 or Active 30 for the caddy. For the desert, we’re getting 100+ degree temps this week and I’m ordering my robot shortly. I worry about critter bites (scorpions mainly) and finding shade for the controller-I think it might be ideal for the caddy, but is it just ok to fish out the robot? Does the cord need to be rolled up and do you roll it on the floor or do the shoulder-arm roll-up?

Found the name for the ‘bot: ‘Boffo

I don't need it as my robot lives is this shed which is right next to the pool. I may put a hook up on the shed sidewall to hold the cord this year. Unless I'd rather just use those three lost minutes to stay on my pool float longer.

an you live without it and for those without the caddy, so you wish you had it?

Kevin,

I have been using robots for about 10 years.. I started with old used Dolphins that came with caddies.. For me personally, I found them to be a real pain.. I found that if I wrapped the cable up on the caddy, the cable would somewhat hold that shape.. I now have some newer Dolphins and bought them without caddies.

Keep in mind that I have my power supplies up off the deck, either in a little "house" or mounted to the wall under the eve of the house. My robot also gets stored under the eve up on a couple of 4X4s that keep the brushes off the deck. I lay the cable on the deck in large loops.

The Key in my mind is what are you going to do with it when it is done cleaning? If you need to move it 50' so you can put it in your shed or garage, then I think it makes sense to have the caddy. If you are just going to use the caddy to 'store' it out by the pool, I find it pretty useless...

There is no right or wrong answer here, it is all about how you intend to use it..

Thanks,

Jim R.

Thanks guys,
I thank fully have many outlets within 15’ of the pool edge, and a couple utility closets (HVAC & Water heater) also close by that could keep the controller in the shade. The house is laid out so the pool, deck and patio gets full East>West sun, so keeping the controller cool is a concern, so maybe the caddy is less of a benefit. My garage entry door and shed are 20’ away and convenient. I could fashion a wall hook for the cord, but as Jim says that may be detrimental.

I love the caddy. It’s the reason I bought the s300 vs s200. It holds the robot, gives me a place to coil the cord (use the over/under method to avoid tangles) and holds the controller at waist level. I simply roll it a few feet to the pool and the roll it back under my covered patio when it’s finished.

Reactions: Arizonarob
Yet another newbie to join the family - Margaret @ Marina answered on the first few rings and cruised through the options quickly for me, and I already have the tracking ID for my Dolphin Active 30. She did a great job explaining the differences and saved me some cash since I was thinking the 30i going in. Thanks for all the help getting to that call!

Reactions: KDpoolguy

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Awesome! You're going to have a clean pool with either of these units.

The caddy has worked out great for me, I have a long trek to the garage and I like that it stores nice and compact in the corner on it's cart. I haven't had any tangling issues, the large loops around the handle seem to be enough to prevent any issue. Maybe tangling was a bigger problem on the older units than it is today on the newer ones though.

If you don’t have the cart, you can use a couple 2x4 blocks to keep it from sitting on the brushes, or as many do just store it on it’s side.

Alright so I'm confused. I'm getting the impression the S200, Active20, Doheny's Discovery and Triton are the same but I also saw someone on the forum post a link to the The Truth About Cleaners which says:
  • Dolphin S200 = Dolphin Active 20 = Dolphin Cayman = Dolphin Nautilus (2017 and Later) = Pentair Prowler 920 = Dolphin Proteus DX3 = Doheny's Saturn
  • Doheny's Discovery = Dolphin Proteus DX4 = Dolphin Triton (2017 and Later) = Dolphin Quantum
I was about to pull the trigger on the Doheny's Saturn as it was the cheapest S200 equivalent but now I'm not sure...

I don't think that site is not very accurate when comparing cleaners. You need to compare the features directly. But from what I understand:

Doheny's Saturn is equivalent to the Active 10/S50. Open tread and single brush

Doheny's Discovery is equivalent to the Active 20/S200. Closed tread and dual brush

Reactions: keatz85
The descriptions for the two at Doheny's are not accurate and are incomplete. The Discovery is the S200 and the run time is set at 2 hours not 2.5. The Saturn also does not have the handle or the side ports that move it along the tile line.

I too joined the Active 20 purchase club, just left an email to Margaret asking her to make the modifications to the unit. Looking forward to seeing it in action.:party:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.