Does running pump 24/7 decrease life span?

Kathleen2252

Apr 28, 2021
Los Angeles
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
Hi.
I am currently running pump around 8 hrs per day.
Water is clear and balanced
I notice some people here run 24 hrs continuous.
Does that not wear out the motor faster?

Our commerical properties runs 24/7 and do go through motors a little faster, but not by much. Which ever motor you are using now that you will be replacing at some point with the newer motors, will not last as long as your old motor. Sorry....Maybe the best motor that I see out there then and now is still the Pentair Whiperflow almonds.

Kathleen,

What kind of pump/motor do you currently have??

I think that you will find that most of us that run 24/7 do so because we have VS pumps that are running at low RPMs. This allows those of us with saltwater pools, to make a little chlorine all the time and to skim all the time.

Logic says this should shorten the life of the pump, but the unanswered question is by how much? I tend to agree with fb above, that it will not be by much. I currently have three IntelliFlo pumps that have been running 24/7, most of the time at 1200 RPM. One is over 9 years old, one over 7 years old and one about 6 years old. So far, so good.. no issues at all.. Not sure if they will all die at 10 years, 12 years, 15 or 20 years, guess I'll just have to wait and see.. :mrgreen:

Thanks,

Jim R.

Kathleen,

What kind of pump/motor do you currently have??

I think that you will find that most of us that run 24/7 do so because we have VS pumps that are running at low RPMs. This allows those of us with saltwater pools, to make a little chlorine all the time and to skim all the time.

Logic says this should shorten the life of the pump, but the unanswered question is by how much? I tend to agree with fb above, that it will not be by much. I currently have three IntelliFlo pumps that have been running 24/7, most of the time at 1200 RPM. One is over 9 years old, one over 7 years old and one about 6 years old. So far, so good.. no issues at all.. Not sure if they will all die at 10 years, 12 years, 15 or 20 years, guess I'll just have to wait and see.. :mrgreen:

Thanks,

Jim R.
In some cases, starting and stopping the motor (and other electrical equipment) reduces the life span as well vs just leaving it running. Maybe not a significant difference though unless it was a single speed motor.

My electric motor repair guy told me that pool pump motors are designed to run continuously "forever" and it's the turning off/on that shortens their lifespan.
He mentioned live lobster pounds here that circulate water 24X7X365, using single-speed pool pumps, and said those pumps rarely quit, while the same pump in a pool will need rebuilding at some point.

Be sure you have your priming speed reduced and the time at that speed limited if you turn the pump on and off each day. Most pools should not need to have the pump run at high speed to prime.

My electric motor repair guy told me that pool pump motors are designed to run continuously "forever" and it's the turning off/on that shortens their lifespan.
He mentioned live lobster pounds here that circulate water 24X7X365, using single-speed pool pumps, and said those pumps rarely quit, while the same pump in a pool will need rebuilding at some point.
That is true for single speed and two speed motors but most VS pumps like the Intelliflo use a slow start RPM ramp which is much less impactful to motor bearings. The bearing life of a motor is going to be proportional to the run time and RPM setting. So a low RPM is going to be much less impactful than full speed. So it is unlikely to see much of a difference in motor life with a VS pump as most of the time, it will be run at low RPM.

Ugh.
I feel like I'm doing something wrong.
2850 x2 hrs, 1800 x 5 hrs, 2850 x1 hr.
Please advise.
I like to use the spa every night.
Not sure how to set it up for 24/7 run time and incorporate the spa . ??

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Ugh.
I feel like I'm doing something wrong.
2850 x2 hrs, 1800 x 5 hrs, 2850 x1 hr.
Please advise.
I like to use the spa every night.
Not sure how to set it up for 24/7 run time and incorporate the spa . ??
Set it to low speed (1800 if that’s what skims well enough) and then bump it up to 2850 whenever you want to use the spa assuming you have a way to manually increase it for a set amount of time. If you use it on a schedule, you could program it to increase at whatever time you normally use it.

In some cases, starting and stopping the motor (and other electrical equipment) reduces the life span as well vs just leaving it running. Maybe not a significant difference though unless it was a single speed motor.
I have had network gear up
And running for 10 years but as soon as power cycle it it goes belly up. Usually the power supply that goes.
I understand a circuit board and a electric motor are different but they have start capacitors for a reason :)

Hi again.
My information is there with my sig.
Not sure why you're not seeing it.
My system is manual.
Pentair vs pump and d.e. filter.
Jandy 400 heater with bypass.
Spa booster pump.
16,000 gal
Ecomatic salt chlorinator ( it's a dinosaur but works very very well)
Pebblesheen plaster

Thank you for the information. I populated your signature. If you are on a mobile device, turn it sideways and you can see it.

Without automation you cannot schedule the spa spillover. So making your system more efficient will be difficult. If it takes 2850 rpm to make the spillover function, that may be your lowest rate. That is very high rpm, so something else may be going on. What happens to the spillover if you do not run the pump at that level of rpm? Also, your skimmer will not be very efficient if all of your water is returned to the pool via the spa spillover.

Hi.
1800 rpm will push water over the spillway slowly but it does, kind of runs down the tile so to speak.
Should I decrease to 1850 and then even lower the rest of the time?
I feel like I'm overdoing the rpms in general.
Not to mention my So Cal elec bill
$765.00 for July!!😳
Dont know if it makes that much difference $$$wise?
Please advise

You stated you have no automation. So your return will be to your spa all the time. If the spa water runs down the tile, you will have calcium scale issues.

One, we need to find out why you need so high of a rpm to make the spa spillover.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.